“Beautiful hotel with stunning views”

Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Aswan
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We decided to splurge and stay at the Old Cataract for a night, and I am very glad we did. Our room was in the new wing, which had lovely views of the hotel, the Nile, and surrounding areas. Wi-fi in the room was excellent. The staff we interacted with were polite and accommodating. Were we to return to Aswan, we would certainly stay at the Old Cataract again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jetlagged79
OldCataractManagemnt, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Madam,

We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and really appreciate you took the time to provide us with your positive comments on the hotel and the service provided.

Rest assured your feedback has been forwarded to the team which will encourage us in our quest for excellence.

We look forward to welcome you on your next visit to Aswan.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I'd like to start by saying I didn't actually stay at the hotel (it was on our list of possibilities but due to there being young kids in our group we went with the Moevenpick) but we had wanted to visit, so we took a Felucca to the dock for tea on the terrace. The greeting we received was less than welcoming, and we just took this to be security down at the Nile entrance, but sadly found this to be the standard for the entire staff (other than the concierge who was very professonal) we came into contact with. We were told we couldn't sit on the main terrace as we were not hotel guests (even though it was virtually empty). Since when does a hotel have a resident/non resident policy? Is this the dark ages? I found this to be ridiculous in the extreme. Anyway, we were quickly ushered (as if we were leppers) to a side terrace, next to the main terrace. The service was nothing short of appalling. The waiter could not have been more unfriendly, and the palaver to get tea and cake was borderline comedy. It was overpriced like I've never known in Egypt (I have lived in Egypt and understand a rip off when I see it). The hotel has been decorated beautifully and some of the light fittings and pieces of furniture were stunning. It certainly be commended for its stylish design, but I would not stay there, based on our first impression which was hugely disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
OldCataractManagemnt, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you for visiting Sofitel Legend Old Cataract during your stay in Aswan and for taking the time to write a review.

We are really sorry to learn your visit was not up to your expectations particularly regarding the service and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Rest assured your comments have been brought to the attention of all department heads for their immediate action.

Thank you again for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention as it will enable us to continuously improve the services we are offering. Customers care is our highest priority and we take our guests’ constructive criticism very seriously.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

How could anyone not give five stars to a hotel with fantastic appointments, wonderful service, multiple restaurants, old-world charm, and great views? The room put the Internet desk at the foot of the bed with a large chair. When someone sits at the desk, it cuts the room in two. You can't pass from side to side without laboriously moving the chair or skimming awkwardly across the bed. If everything else wasn't so wonderful, I would have given it three stars. Smaller chair needed!!! Sometimes it's the smallest thing that makes a big difference.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
OldCataractManagemnt, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend Old Cataract for your recent visit to Aswan and for taking the time to letting us know about your feedback.

We would like to sincerely thank you for sharing with us your comments and have well noted your constructive criticism.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've stayed at many 5-star hotels but this was probably the best stay yet. I stayed in a suite in the new wing and it was supremely comfortable and decorated with a beautiful color palette. The staff was extremely attentive, friendly, and accommodating. I tried all 3 restaurants and the fish dish I had in the lobby restaurant was divine. The cocktails are a bit pricey but the Egyptian wine (Jardin du Nil) is wonderful and very reasonably priced. 1900, the French restaurant, is a spectacular setting (my duck entree was superb) and the falafel at The Oriental is not to be missed. You will be hard-pressed to find a hotel with more incredible views: the most beautiful part of the Nile, the golden Nubian Desert, Elephantine Island....you will feel transported back in time. Here are my photos and my thoughts on the hotel's decor:

A must-stay! And in a very safe area of Egypt.

Room Tip: A room with a Nile view is a must. And really the only noise you will hear is the magical drumming o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank GlennBelverio
OldCataractManagemnt, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend Old Cataract for your recent visit to Aswan,

We are very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for providing us with your feedback.

I have indeed shared your positive comments with the team which will encourage them in their pursuit for excellence.

We look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel and site iare marvelous: the foyer and reception area is very welcoming and the reception staff are all very nice.
Our room was in the "new" building: amazing and we were upgraded to a bigger room. I would have organised the room differently (with the "living room" by the window instead of the bathroom) but otherwise it's perfect. The room is (very) big, bed is comfortable and it's wonderfully decorated. Then comes the terrasse and the view: wahouh! The view on the pool, the Nile, the hotel outdoors, Elephant island and then the desert is incredible at any time of the day.
This is a place where the time you spend in the common areas (pool, spa and restaurant) is as good as the time you spend in your room.
Staff has been very nice, always helpful, organising taxi bookings here and there.
On a small negative: breakfast. Not much to start the day.
We were there for 3 nights; I could have staid there for ever.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
OldCataractManagemnt, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Madam/ Sir,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend Old Cataract for your recent visit to Aswan.

We are pleased to learn you enjoyed the hotel decoration, view and service and would like to thank you for your valuable comments and positive feedback.

Our Executive Chef has been notified concerning your comment on the breakfast in order to work on the issue.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the Old Cataract for three nights in mid-April. I chose the Old Cataract as a (dear) treat for myself and my elderly parents, who were in town for work. Let's start with what is fantastic about the hotel: a splendid location with jaw dropping views of the Nile, perfectly landscape gardens and grounds, excellent facilities (great pool and decent gym), great choice of restaurants (don't miss out on the chicken kosbarya at the Oriental restaurant), beautiful architecture (thank you Mr Thomas Cook), and tasteful furnishings. All these things should add up to not only a 5* experience, but a terrific 5* experience at that.

Now let's go through what let's down this establishment: shockingly poor service. The staff are so poorly trained they made me lose my temper at least once every day I was there. My original travel plans to Aswan were unravelled by a delayed Egypt Air flight. As such I only made it to the hotel at 11 pm, rather than the afternoon as planned. When I called the front desk to ask them to let my parents (who arrived earlier) in to the room and use my credit card details from the booking for the time being (and that I would supply my card on arrival later that night) they said they would do so. An hour later I receive a call from my frustrated parents (who are in their seventies) telling me they were being asked for their financial details and being presented with the costs of the rooms etc, which made me blow my top as I did not want them to know the cost of my treat to them, as it defeated the ENTIRE PURPOSE. I had explained all this to the receptionist an hour earlier, but this was disregarded. His colleague then had the gall to say 'I shouldn't be upset because my parents were not being charged, the credit card was just being used to 'block out the amount''. Only after I lost my temper did she relent and offer their apologies. Poor form indeed.

The next day at the restaurant my orders for breakfast were entirely disregarded, and the waiter thought he knew better than I what I have for breakfast. Again, he only withdrew the surplus dishes after I lost my cool.

The final day the receptionist again nagged me like an irritating stepmother during checkout, insisting that I give them my roll on bag for safekeeping while I waited in the lobby for an hour. What part of 'No' do they not understand? Why can the management of the hotel not make their staff understand that they don't know what is better for the customer than the customer himself? If a customer says 'no' or 'yes' then they mean it.

Finally, and most irritatingly of all, is the tiresome tendency to be answered in a language other than the one I pose a question in. I would ask a question in Arabic and be answered in English. Why? I do not know, perhaps as a facile attempt to demonstrate a cosmopolitan air? In reality, the staff ought to know that it is a basic courtesy to speak to someone in the language the conversation was initiated in.

In summary, the physical infrastructure is that of a 5* hotel. It's a shame about the 4* staff masquerading as Sofitel-quality professionals. They most certainly are not. I do not pay through the nose to be made to lose my cool and deal with tiresome, nagging questions. I shall go elsewhere for my next break.

Room Tip: ASk for a room far away from (the noisy) Feryal park
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank R0llingSt0ne2011
OldCataractManagemnt, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend Old Cataract for your recent visit to Aswan and for sharing with us your valuable comments.

We appreciate you took the time to inform us on what you experienced in the hotel and rest assured that your comments concerning the service have been brought to the attention of the department heads concerned.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused and hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Perhaps I am easily impressed but I was. The foyer of this hotel is very grand and they may have changed the furniture but it's still pretty impressive. Your man will sign you in and once they have an imprint of your card it's off to the Nile wing (probably) to see your room.
Everything you want - aircon is good - beds are good - wi-fi that works - chic plumbing (is there such a thing?) and then that view. It really is a jaw dropper. There are not a whole lot of hotels with views like that. Oh and Hermès soaps and shampoos. No you don't get to cream off a few for home use - they are very carefully controlled!
The pool is nice - the gardens are beautifully maintained - the night scented jasmine perfumes the way to the terrace and then that view again.
There must be some down sides. Yes, here they are. We wanted to impress our friends on the boat by asking them for (very expensive) drinks in our room - that view again. That was a step too far. I had to get the duty manager to intervene. Come on guys you're running a five star hotel not a knocking shop.
There are not many guests but ALL staff need a little training on anticipating the guests needs. I want the pool guys to ask me if I want some water or a beer and not to have to go and ask them. I want the same service on the terrace. Small things but they need touching upon.
Let us not leave out the front of the hotel. There is a lovely plaque commemorating the re-openeing of the Old Catatac hotel. No - it's not a typo - well not mine. I would not have wanted to be in that stone mason's underpants when he made the typo but perhaps the hotel has a corporate sense of humour. With the prices they charge I suspect they do.

Room Tip: Well 2606 was OK by me. The Nile wing has the better views and has had extensive refurshment.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
OldCataractManagemnt, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Sir,

We would like to sincerely thank you for sharing your valuable feedback.

We have well noted your constructive criticism. Rest assured that I have shared your comments with the respective department heads who are advised to take action accordingly.

We would like to thank you again for your comments and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.