“Magical moments....”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Aswan
Zurich, Switzerland
“Magical moments....”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed at the Old cataract for three nights at the end of our Nile cruise – and it truly was one of the highlights. The hotel is set in beautiful gardens overlooking the Nile. Leaving the street and passing through the gate one enters a different world. A very elegant, luxurious and beautifully renovated property that has retained its old world charm – in fact it is the most beautiful colonial style hotel we have ever stayed at. We were upgraded to a suite with Nile view: very comfortable bed, great sitting area with large flatscreen tv, enormeous bathroom with seperate shower and toilet . It was just perfect with attention to detail and very tastefully decorated.

We had dinner and breakfast on the terrace. The food was good and well presented. The staff very attentive. Sitting there, enjoying your food and looking out over the water to Elephantine Island and watching the feluccas sail past – it felt somehow magical like being in a bygone era.. We had drinks at some of the bars, inside and outside, relaxing after days of sightseeing.

In the end we felt very sorry to leave. Given the opportunity we would go back immediately. It is a rather expensive hotel, but worth every penny.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zurich_traveller_11
Ahmed Z, Rooms Division Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Madam/ Sir,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend Old Cataract for your recent visit to Aswan.

I am really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the facilities as well as the service and food were up to your expectations.

It is really motivating to receive such positive comments from our guest and I would like to thank you again for your compliments which I will share with the team.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Excellent service, great view. You have to get a room with a balcony looking out on the river Nile....
Take a fellukah on the river at sunset and take a trip to abu simbel.. Nice terras too...............

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Triathleet
Dear Madam/ Sir,

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing with us your feedback and letting us know about your recent visit. Your positive feedback has been shared with the team this will encourage them to continue their good work.

I look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I spent one day at the Old Cataract after a 5 day cruise on the SS Soudan. I was a bit wary when I booked (i) because of the high price (500 $ plus) (ii) because of the recent renovation, wondering whether the character of the hotel would remain. Well, our stay was worth every dollar paid; the rooms have been wonderfully renovated, blending modern amenities with arabic touches, the service is outstanding, the view to die for. Our room in the new wing was spacious, the bathroom (bath + shower) somptuous. We will come back!

3 Thank stephen h
Ahmed Z, Rooms Division Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Sir,

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to sincerely thank you for your very kind words.

I am really pleased that you and your wife liked the hotel so much after its renovation and that the hotel facilities as well as the service provided was to your taste.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back very soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Fantastic hotel the views from our 5th floor Nile room was just breathtaking. Service was fantastic no matter which part of the Hotel you were in, you really felt special. This Hotel is at the luxury end of the market , and is well worth every penny from the very Hermes soap, to the 1902 restaurant, which is the best restaurant we have ever dined at. We stayed for 6 nights and experienced all the restaurants for breakfast (overlooking the Nile) Lunch by the pool and Dinner, the standards and food were excellent in each. Sun set on the Terrace watching the Feluccas sail along the Nile has to be one of the most romantic places in the world. Where else can you have such luxury and historical sites on your doorstep. Thank you Old Cataract, we will be back!!

Room Tip: "Nile wing has the best views, and largest balconies"
1 Thank jean_lutwyche
Ahmed Z, Rooms Division Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Madam,

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing with us your feedback and letting us know about your recent visit. To receive such praise from our guest is very gratifying and knowing that you enjoyed so much the facilities, view and service is a reward in itself.

Your positive feedback has been shared with the team which will encourage them to continue their effort in this direction.

I look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have been traveling since I was born around the world, and I do admit that I have never been to a hotel that is heart warming, friendly, clean, classy, luxurious and above all that ROYAL!
The staff is highly educated, always smiling, always helping and advising. The view on the Nile, the sunset, the quality of service, food and beverages make the stay at Old Cataract Aswan one hell of a stay. Outrageously recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
11 Thank SamehSabry
Ahmed Z, Rooms Division Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Sir,

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to sincerely thank you for your very kind words on the employees, the service, the food and beverage and the hotel in general; it was really rewarding and motivating.

Thank you for your compliments which I will share with the whole team.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

A magnificent hotel in a amazing location. Service for the customers was the best I have seen and experienced yet. I wished I could have stayed for longer. The decor was one of the most outstanding things of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ahmed Z, Rooms Division Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Madam/ Sir,

I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to thank you for providing us with your positive comments on the service you received which will encourage us in our quest for excellence.

I am also really pleased that you liked the hotel facilities after the renovation and I look forward to welcome you back in the near future, hopefully for a longer period of time.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The views from the terrasse to Nile river, the quality of service, the old building smelling "Agatha Chistie", the terrific restaurants, the spa... At least, once in your live, you should visit this marvellous hotel

Room Tip: Nile views in new building or, if your budget is high, in old building
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ahmed Z, Rooms Division Manager at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Sir,

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to thank you for your feedback.
Exceeding our guest expectations is our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

I have indeed shared your feedback with our team. Your comments will encourage them in their pursuit for excellence.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.