“Excellent service, with help on finding special sites.”

Aswan Individual - Daily Tour
Ranked #1 of 23 Tours in Aswan
More attraction details
Owner description: AswanIndividual is based on the idea from a tourist who designed the website for independent travelers like her to recommend honest and professional locals that she has met during many stays in Upper Egypt. To give it a legal ground, Waleed (full name: Mohamed Ahmed Ali Ahmed), licensed travel agent in Aswan, is the owner of Aswan Individual to organize the network and who is responsible for the tours being offered from Aswan Individual.
Reviewed March 2, 2015

I came into contact with Aswan Individual because I wanted to visit Ouadi el-Sebua and Amada temples over land. This is generally done as part of a Nile cruise, but because I was staying in Aswan and wanted to visit other sites as well I didn't want to go on a cruise. So I got a fair price for over land transport to visit these two sites. Because I was satisfied with the quick response I asked for the possibilities to arrange other transport issues as well.
With Petra, the representative of Aswan individual I had good contact through the mail about different options. As an expert on Egyptology I didn't require a guide, just transportation. But got the good advice to visit Gebel el-Silsila with a guide, because it's handy to have a guide over there.
They provided me with good tips, but listened very well to my opinion about it.

Just before the trip I asked Petra wether she could ask the owner of Aswan international Waleed wether he knew the location of special inscriptions in Aswan. I have done research on these inscriptions, but only using drawings and old photographs of them. With a general description of the site Waleed tried to locate the inscriptions, which he was succesful at. A great job! I am really happy I found these inscriptions!

Following the day of arrival I met with Waleed in my hotel, to go through the program. And he got all the details needed to arrange a permit to go to Ouadi es-Sebua and Amada temples.

During the next 6 days I travelled around with the transportation arranged by Aswan individual. The quality of the boats and cars provided was perfect.
During the week Waleed encountered a transportation difficulty with my trip to Ouadi es-Sebua and Amada temples. He had arranged a mini-bus to go there, but a jeep was mandatory. He discussed it with me and arranged, for the same price as the mini-bus, a really fast jeep which took me to Ouadi es-Sebua and Amada temples. As an extra he arranged food for me for that day, without any costs.

During most of the trips Waleed contacted me by Phone to check wether everything was going as planned.

Overall I am really satisfied with the service Aswan individual provided me with. It was done professionally and with passion. I requisted Aswan individual to visit special places, which were arranged perfectly.

2  Thank PvG78
"hassle free"
"last moment"
"his knowledge"

Reviewed March 1, 2015

We booked two nights cruise from Aswan to Luxor. Waleed picked us from the train station the day we arrived and showed us the ship and all the facilities before we could make a decision. Pretty nice. We paid full amount in cash once we chose the ship. The day we got onboard was a bit full of hassle, since we took a trip to Abu Simbel in the morning and returned a bit later than planned (which was out of our control coz it's group bus).We had to run to the ship. Waleed was a bit worried. When we made it to the ship we chose the day before, however, for some reason we dont really know, the ship were not leaving Aswan that day. As a result we were told to run to another ship (both under the same cruise company). So, another crazy running, with all the baggage, under burning sun, being afraid of that ship leaving in a minute.Nevertheless, we made it.

To be honest, we dont really feel like it is a 5-star cruise, as many passengers on the cruise also agree. To be fair, it is overall good and good enough (room comfort, dinning, top terrace, etc).

Waleed checked upon us by phone several times in the following days to see if everything goes well.Thanks.

The operation of the cruise is smooth, though I have to say the time it arrives Kom Ombom (late evening almost dark, one hour stop) and Edfu (early morning 6:30, two hour stop)is not very ideal for touring. But this is not relevant to Aswan Individual.

1  Thank Crystal Jing Q
Reviewed February 28, 2015

This was our second visit to Aswan, and though we didn't need so much help this time in orientating ourselves, our previous experience with Aswan Individual had been so good that we used their services again when we needed it. They didn't disappoint. Aswan Individual is a small operation which sets a lot of store by good service and customer satisfaction, both of which I can vouch that they reliably deliver. Waleed instills confidence from the start: he is punctual, caring, friendly, flexible and completely reliable. He acts as agent for local people, and everyone booked through him has shown the same qualities. Previous reviews comment that the service is expensive, which I think is rather unfair. Yes, you can probably get slightly cheaper elsewhere (though their prices are very competitive) but the difference is more than justified by more comfortable transport, careful drivers (there are plenty of cheap taxis around if the white knuckle ride is more to your taste: I prefer to feel safe!), expert guides and flexibility. Waleed keeps in close touch with you by mobile phone, and takes the stress out of organising your own trip. I would wholeheartedly recommend their services, and their website, though basic, gives lots of practical tips on planning your trip.

Reviewed February 26, 2015

We have just arrived back in the UK after spending 6 weeks travelling around Jordan and Egypt. We used Aswan individual for the Aswan & Luxor part of our trip. We organised everything else independently.

We travel quite a lot, usually around 6 weeks at a time over the British winter and have visited countries such as India, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Nepal and more, so we are quite seasoned travellers. We usually just book our flights, the first couple of nights in a hotel and then just go from there, booking as we go along.

The main reason we decided to book in advance this time with Aswan individual was that we were finding it very difficult to book a couple of nights on a Nile cruise from the UK and had a fairly tight schedule of where we needed to be and when.

Firstly it must be made clear that Aswan individual do not operate any of their own vehicles, boats, guides etc., Waleed just sub contracts this out to local firms, at a premium of course.

On contacting Aswan individual Petra was very helpful and we had our schedule sorted out pretty quickly, which was... Pick up from Aswan airport, Philae, High Dam and Obelisk half day tour. Next day 2nd convoy to Abu Simbel. Next day 2 day/night cruise from Aswan to Luxor. Half day West bank tour in Luxor and finally the following day, a full day trip to Abydos and Dendera. Finally a road transfer to El Gouna on the Red Sea.

We were told in order to guarantee the Nile cruise (which was the main reason for booking with Aswan individual in the first place) we would have to bank transfer a deposit of $150. I don't know what the problem was, but it took weeks for the money to arrive in Waleed's account in Egypt and a lot of emails, phone calls to the company transferring the money and finally having to get proof of the transfer from the company sending the money, so that was a load of hassle, before even leaving the UK.

Waleed picked us up from the airport, we handed over the full balance for all the trips (approximately £500). Aswan is only 10 to 15 minutes from the airport, so the charge of 150 EGP is very expensive. To put this in perspective, the taxi from Giza (Pyramids) in Cairo to the airport was 120 EGP and it was an hour's taxi ride at high speed.

I'm not going to go into all the other costs for tours around Aswan individually, but to put it in perspective, we hired a taxi and driver for a full day in Cairo for 200 EGP and there are always guides on hand at all the tourist attractions at 20 EGP an hour or less. It's very easy to find a Taxi and driver on arrival. Make your own mind up.

We were disappointed with the free time given at Philae, just 15 minutes and for us the dam is a waste of time. Yes I'm sure the Egyptians are very proud of it, but it is just a dam, a very large dam, but still just a dam. We would have much preferred more time at Philae.

Next day we took the 2nd convoy to Abu Simbel. We were told we would arrive at 1pm, we arrived at 2pm. We were originally told we would need to be back at the car for 3:50 for the return journey. When we actually arrived at Abu Simbel, we were told to be back at the car for 3:30. By the time we very quickly ate something, bought tickets and taking into account the walk to the monument and back, we had less than 1 hour. Really not enough. 1 hour 30 minutes would have been enough, but we didn't get that. An independently booked trip to Abu Simbel would cost around 400-500 EGP.

Next day, we were picked up and taken to our boat for the Nile cruise. Before I go any further, I quote from the Aswan Individual bumf “Waleed is in this business for more than 10 years now and knows all boats very well. So - when he hears which boats really will travel, which rooms are offered on which boat - he is experienced enough to choose the best one for you.'

To describe the boat we were on as 5 star deluxe was a farce (Semiramis II). At best it was a very tired 3 star. Waleed asked us to check the room before he left and it was ok, but not 5 star. On closer inspection, it was quite tired and not particularly clean. The hair dryer in the bathroom was held together with electrical tape. The rest of the boat was tired and needed refurbishment. The worst bit is yet to come. Our room was at the back of the boat above the engines. We just assumed when we had docked for the night, this would be switched off. It was switched off but a very noisy generator was switched on. The whole room was vibrating that's how bad it was. We complained and asked to be moved, but there were no other rooms free. Needless to say we hardly slept that night. We also texted Waleed the same night, saying it was unacceptable but didn't receive a reply until the next morning. Whatever happened, we had already decided to leave the boat the next evening when we reached Luxor and stay in a hotel. To cut a long story short, Waleed put us up in a hotel for the night free of charge. Our cruise was still ruined. Also the time you get at the stops at Komombo and Edfu is very limited. 30 minutes at Komombo and 1 hour including 15 minutes each way to get to Edfu and back. Nowhere near enough time.

Our experience in and around Luxor was much better. Our guide was excellent and didn't rush us. Same applies to our day trip to Abydos and Dendera. Our only criticism is that our transportation for the whole time including a 5 hour trip to El Gouna was in a private mini bus, not private car. No matter how many people are in a minibus, it's not comfortable on long trips.

Again though these trips were relatively expensive. We were given a price of 400 EGP locally for the Abydos and Dendera trip including a guide. Same price for the transfer to El Gouna.

I can't really recommend Aswan Individual. It wasn't hassle free for us which is what you expect to pay the large premium for. You really don't get anything extra for your money. Waleed just books transport and guides for you, which I'm sure most people are more than capable of doing themselves. There is no shortage of either in Egypt right now with the general downturn in tourism. It has certainly put us off booking this type of thing in advance in the future.

7  Thank Figo-1