“A little out of the way, but nice hotel”

Grand Pyramids Hotel
Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in Giza
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I stayed here twice recently, just one night on 20th January ’09 & then from 30th January -3rd February ’09.
It’s situated in Giza, so it’s a bit awkward crossing the city but one just has to be patient with Cairo traffic & accept it as being part of the whole experience. It’s about 40 mins, by taxi to the Old Bazaar, according to friends who travelled there. It’s probably not the place to stay if you want to make your own way around but it was ok for us as we had a coach taking us to Saqqara, Darshur, the pyramids for private time & what time was spent in the hotel was for brief relaxation from our busy schedule.
Both rooms overlooked the pool & the tips of 2 of the pyramids were visible from the balconies, although, only just on 20th January, as the smog was really thick!
The reception is pleasant & spacious, with plenty of seating & little tables, so one can sit & chat, have a coffee etc. The doormen / porters are polite & helpful, as are reception staff.
There is are a couple of small areas through towards the pool where one can also sit & chat. The sunbeds are comfortable & towels provided. Being by the pool in the middle of a busy, somewhat polluted city like Cairo, is a little oasis of peace.
There are a few shops on site selling souvenirs, jewellery, postcards & clothing. The clothing was fairly expensive but the staff were pleasant & the guy from whom I bought the postcards trusted me enough to let me owe him a small amount for the cards as neither of us had any change that day.
The rooms are very nice, including the bathrooms. There are hairdryers & toiletries provided. I didn’t use the mini-bar or room service.
The food is ok; I’m not struck on AI but had no choice as I was part of a tour group. However, there is quite a lot of choice & the staff in the Italian restaurant of the hotel were very attentive when they saw that I was on crutches. They offered to fetch my food, helped me carry it back, moved my chair for me & were very polite.
The staff in the main restaurant were nice but I didn’t appreciate the nightly singer in there, I’m afraid. He has a nice voice but it was too loud & intrusive.
I also didn’t appreciate the “jobsworth” who objected to my fellow travellers bringing me a little breakfast up to the room one morning when my injured ankle was really painful & I couldn’t make it down to breakfast. He wanted me to get room service! I don’t think so!!! My room mate went ahead & brought me some stuff back anyhow. The “jobsworth” was the only blip as far as the staff is concerned.
Door keys are the “credit card” sort & you can obtain duplicates from reception if you’re sharing a room.
I wouldn’t dismiss staying here again, but not as a family holiday & not if I were having to get around by myself. We certainly appreciated ending our hectic 2 weeks by relaxing a little for the last 48 hrs or so.

• Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank Nephthys

Reviewed February 8, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel. The main reason for choosing the hotel was the location close to the pyramids. But it wasn’t that close. It was quite easy and cheap to take a taxi to Cairo city. But the opposite way was a unpleasant adventure. We drove with 3 different taxi drivers and none of them was able to find the hotel.

The hotel was old, and the rooms (particularly the bathrooms) really need to be renovated.
Buffet breakfast was fine – dinner OK.

The hotel has a pretty large garden, with a nice swimming pool. We almost had the pool for ourselves which was quite nice during the hot afternoons.

If I ever should come to Cairo again, I would rather choose a hotel in the centre of Cairo or right at the pyramids.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2008

5-star = 2.5 at best. The place is a worn down hulk with dirty carpets, badly scratched furnishings, and horribly dirty walls and doorways in plain view in the reception area. Advertised 24-hour room service is not for all listed menu items. Unstocked minibar cannot be because the 24h room service stops at 2300 for many items. Room service for simple 7up and water got us coffee and water (sent it back). In-room telephones do not dial-out without operator assistance. We were informed at check-in that the advertised indoor pool was actually segregated with different hours for men and women, with acknowledgment that their website makes no mention of this archaic practice (real great for a family with kids, not). Adjoining twin rooms were not available for our family of four as requested, until we complained about the other deficiencies and then magically the adjoining rooms appear, but only if we will wait until noon (after checking in at 0400am following a late night flight). Management and staff seemed unconcerned about any of the above until we announced at 0530am that we were checking out. Then everything was suddenly fixable. Well it was too late. With 2 phone calls we had new reservations at a hotel that upon hearing of our experience sent a car for us and had us in a fabulous room by 0700am, children finally sleeping peacefully. We'll be sure to write a review of the "2nd choice" hotel after the New Year, but suffice to say it exceeded our expectations from the moment the reservations were made.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank B96SAL
Reviewed December 17, 2008

We stayed in this hotel as part of our honeymoon package on two different occasions as part of our trip.

The hotel is massive and very well kept/decorated. The main hall is exquisite and all public toilets, eating areas, pool areas are very clean and regularly maintained.

The rooms a large and have great big windows. Our first room had a view of the pool area and the other a view of behind. TV, desk, sofa etc. were provided and always had hot water from the shower.

Business centre was good and worked well - also a couple of shops on site (one which changed money too). Was a gym but we didn't use.

Breakfast was excellent, with hot and cold selections os fruit, breads and sausages. Also made-to-order pancakes and eggs.

We never tried the pool, but the restaurants are all good. We tried room service (excellent), the buffet (on XMas day and we got Turkey dinner believe it or not!), the pizza place (great) and the kebab/grill tent (excellent).

Staff all friendly and didn't badger for baksheesh (tips).

Note that the hotel is on a road out of the way, and the front of the hotel (when we were there) had a great big dirty river on the front. Access by car is awkward. We didn't notice this as part of our package we had a privatre driver.

One other misleading point is the apparent views of the Giza pyramids - yes you can see them but jus tthe top 10% over a bunch of buildings. We could only just make it out through the fog/smoke.

Overall - excellent hotel for relaxing - but beware of location. If you're planning to make your own way around it might not be the one for you.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank elshadoobuccus
Reviewed November 7, 2008

We stayed at the Grand Pyramids Hotel in Cairo during our visit to Egypt - Dec 2007. The hotel, all its restaurants, the staff & their hospitality, the rooms - all are par excellence. The hotel has 2 clean pools - indoor & outdoor, a wonderful tent bar, DJs in the evenings & many other attractions to keep its guests entertained & pampered during their stay. Being vegetarians, we had a it of a problem with the meals but the Head Chef also took care of that for us. Overall, a great experience ..

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2008

Six of us (three couples) had a tour of Egypt put together by an Australian tour company in October 2008. By and large, the tour was very good, but I wouldn’t recommend that one visits Egypt (or at least Cairo) as an unaccompanied traveller unless you are exceptionally brave.

Our first stop was the Grand Pyramids hotel in Cairo (almost Giza). We had three rooms side by side overlooking the pool and (not too far in the distance) … the pyramids themselves.

I have few quibbles about this hotel and would recommend it to those visiting the pyramids. It’s a fair distance from Cairo airport, but that simply means that it is close to the pyramids themselves (5 minutes as the crow flies, but 10-15 minutes by road depending on Cairo traffic, which is uniformly dreadful). The rooms were large, a little old and beaten, but quite clean and quite well appointed with a serviceable bathroom. We had a small balcony; handy for drying clothes. It had a fridge, safe and TV (it was trippy watching “Miami Vice” with Egyptian subtitles). Internet is available for laptops in-room via cable at a reasonable speed, and you buy a password at reception.

On site at the Grand Pyramids, there’s a couple of restaurants (Thai, Italian and Bedouin), as well as a snack bar; a tourist/gift shop, a combination tourist/jewellery shop (which also does henna tattoos) and a money-changer. The reception area is stylish but got quite busy.

The pool area was well frequented by us and was great. There’s a bar and snack service to the pool, as well as fresh towels.

Breakfast was provided, and the range was good, with an omelette/freshly cooked eggs bar. On the downside, service was always terrible (in terms of clearing up the dirty plates [they’d just get piled up on a central table when removed from your own table instead of going straight to the kitchen for a wash-up] and getting tea or coffee), and there was always a shortage of cutlery and to a lesser extent crockery (because it was never taken away!). However, I’d prefer that than plenty of cutlery and lousy food.

All in all, this was a pretty good hotel with a great pool area, close to the pyramids, but the breakfast management needs some attention.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Booked this as part of a package with True-Egypt who are an excellent company to travel with.
stayed for 3 nights at the grand pyramids but have to admit was out sight seeing for the majority of the time so did not actually use the hotel facilities very much. However it is a very clean and well kept hotel.The pool is nice though not huge. The buffet breakfast is fine. Room service is excellent. The only problem is the extensive road building which is going on right outside but it was not noisy. It is a bit dirty/dusty but then so is most of Cairo! If you want a good standard hotel to use as a base for sight seeing then this hotel is ideal.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family