“Exceptional service - and good food!”

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Giza
London
“Exceptional service - and good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

Although I had telephoned the hotel to arrange transport, we had had such a poor experience earlier on this holiday with transport to and from another Giza hotel we were still rather nervous when our train arrived at Giza station (from Luxor) early in the morning. But we were greeted and escorted to an excellent BMW limo and arrived at the hotel shortly afterwards. I expected to have to wait until the afternoon before being able to have a room, but we were surprised and delighted to be greeted at the curb and taken immediately (before checking in) to a 15th floor corner and balcony room with views of the Nile and the pyramids. Wow! We had booked and paid for the holiday in the UK and didn't expect what seemed to be VIP treatment. "Check-in" took two minutes, in our room, and then, at 9am, we had the great pleasure of chilling out for the rest of the day, enjoying the excellent Lebabese restaurant by the pool and visiting the very old-fashioned Egyptian Museum on the other side of the river. We had another very good meal in the Lebanese restaurant and an excellent night's sleep. Breakfast the next day (included in our room price) was very good and there was no problem booking the limo to the airport in the early afternoon nor with a late check-out (for no extra charge). Excellent service, for not very much more money than our previous and not so impressive hotel close to the pyramids. Strongly recommended!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Budmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

When we arrived, we were extremely impressed with the size of our room and the luxurious decor in this hotel. We had a view of the Nile one way, and of the Pyramids the other - although we couldn't always see them for the smog. Mirrored lifts a bit weird, but I think that's just me. The flower arrangements are particularly stunning.
We ate in the I talian restaurant and the Thai restaurant - both fabulous. Didn't go to the Lebanese, so I can't say about that, although another guest that we spoke to raved about it.
Breakfast amazing, although the hotel is so big that you are ready for it by the time you've walked to the restaurant!
We went down for a wander around the Mall, very attractive and gorgeous shops but extremely expensive.
One downside - although our room was perfectly clean, there was a thick fur of dust all around the edge in the dip where the carpet meets the wall. The cleaner needs and edge tool, I think!
The bath is almost Olympic size, there is a huge shower, and two basins.We had a problem with the loo, which was fixed within half an hour. It would be nice to have a chair or stool of some kind in the bathroom, I had to sit on the loo to dry my feet! Nice toiletries too.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Oro Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

The rooms are large and spacious, service is quick and courteous, and food is excellent. Whether you have a view of the pyramids and zoo or one of the river, you won't be disappointed in your view. However, rooms at the front are noisy and you do hear more street noise than those with a river view. Some rooms have a balcony, while others do not, so if this is important to you, you should recommend one. All king size rooms, otherwise, seem to have the same layout...a long corridor lined with plenty of closet space (iron and ironing board included) with a mini bar at the end of the corridor. The bedroom is quite large, amongst the largest I have seen for a basic hotel room and has a nicely laid out living area. The bathroom has a large tub and separate shower and TWO sinks, which most hotels do not have. The breakfasts were absolutely fantastic and the best I have had in any hotel. The hotel lobby tea room is very comfortable. The Morrocan Tea is excellent here. Don't miss the fresh strawberry juice that they served upon arrival that was also available at breakfast. The lebanese restaurant was very good. This hotel is on the Giza side closer to the pyramids. There is another Four Seasons directly across the river on the Cairo side closer to the museum and market place. Traffic is awful, so if you are traveling to be nearer to one place or another, you may want to consider which location is best for you. The hotel is directly on the Nile. Security was everywhere. The hotel is attached to a very attractive, but expensive and upscale mall. Internet was expensive in room but available for free in the business center.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

This really is a great hotel. The food and drink are expensive so i'd eat elsewhere. BUT, the breakfast is brilliant so make sure that's included. We got upgraded and had a great view of the nile and a huge room. One tip: Order room service.... they bring a whole table and create a lovely dining experience in your room!

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

Pretty much what you would expect from Four Seasons. Nice big luxurious rooms, great bathrooms, good restaurants. The service isn't amazing, but this is Cairo - not a world capital when it comes to pampering. But it's perfectly decent. There's a great swimming pool and the breakfast area affords stunning views of the nile. The location is good for hitting downtown Cairo and heading out to the Pyramids.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

We stayed at the Four Seasons First Residence for three nights in late February. It is a very luxurious hotel and oozes elegance throughout. The flower displays throughout the hotel were exceptional. We had one room which overlooked the Pyramids and the other overlooking the Nile. Both were excellent - very spacious with lovely bathrooms and excellent beds.

The breakfast buffet was one of the best we have come across and we also had room service dinner on one night and that was beautifully presented, on time and plentiful. Service throughout the hotel was first class with someone always ready to help you with any query.

We also stayed at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza and found the First Residence to be the superior hotel. It has much nicer ambience and better service. The First Residence is highly recommended and would be our choice in Cairo again without a doubt.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank aussiecan
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

Stayed here for two nights. The people who made my reservation scheduled me for one night and the woman at check in caught the error and made a notation on my paperwork. Watch out for 25% tax on top of quoted rate! The Thai restaurant was great. Went to the Library bar for a drink afterwards. Ordered a JWB on the rocks. They brought me a pretty full glass which I thought was good when I got it but when I got the the bill for one drink, it was 200 Egyptian Pounds (~$40 US). Now I expect the Four Seasons to be expensive but that was over the top. I asked the bartender about it and he said I had ordered a double and so really a scotch on the rocks is only $20. He wouldn't take it off my bill and I was tired so I didn't argue then. Eventually, when I checked out they took it off the bill but only because I thought they had double charged me. They had the charge listed on my room but I had given the waiter my credit card.

My second night there, I ordered room service. It came and was good. About 10 minutes after the food was delivered. I heard a knock on my door and before I could get to the door, one of the hotel staff came walking in. He said he had been requested to do a "physical check." That was weird. Five minutes after he left my phone rang and a guy apologized for the visit but told me "you are not supposed to be in the room." I'm thinking to myself, "this is the Four Seasons?" Anyway, I told him that there was an error when I checked in but that I thought it had been addressed. That was pretty much the end of the matter but it was a strange stay at the Four Seasons.

I guess I would recommend it to a friend with the qualification that the wierdness was maybe a random occurrence. None of the other reviews seem to have had similar experiences.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ESOZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Mena House Hotel
Kempinski Nile Hotel Cairo
Pyramids View Inn
Pyramids View Inn
#1 of 40 in Giza

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence? Share your experiences!