“Well-meaning but not great”

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Giza
Southwest Harbor, Maine
“Well-meaning but not great”
Reviewed March 24, 2009

The hotel is an average property. One has to go up a flight of stairs to the lobby--a little idiosyncratic. The elevators are claustrophobically small, and I kept getting caught when I tried to use the emergency stairwell. The rooms are a bit dated. We had two connecting rooms, and it was nice not to hear ambient noise from the hallway.

The hotel front desk, manager?, wasn't too swift about rectifying an incorrect and expensive lunch-to-go that we ordered. Over $100 dollars, and the order was incorrect, even including things, which I specifically excluded because one of my children had food allergies. The manager asked me what to do about it, and I suggested that a refund would be fair, given that we ate nothing in the lunch. He agreed after some initial reluctance and delay--not my historical experience of the 4 Seasons.

The best thing about the hotel is its workout room, not because it is so well-outfitted but because there is nothing like the rising sun over the Nile, with a few rowers out early, while one works out; that will always be my favorite memory of the hotel and, possibly, Cairo. The pool area is nice, too, although I think that they should heat the pool because it moves swiftly into shade in the afternoon, despite hot temperatures.

Oh, yes, excellent breakfast buffet.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Giveypup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 28, 2009

We stayed at the Fours Seasons for 6 nights total having started at Mena House and spent one night in Cairo, two in Luxor returning very gratefully to the Four Season for five consecutive nights. I am hard pressed to recommend a hotel in Luxor.
Every service in the hotel is at the 5 star level. I recommend booking a room away from the main road (across from the zoo) because of the amount of traffic all of the time. Not to mention Egyptian drivers cannot drive without sounding their horns all of the time.
Our family spent about 6 hours a day sightseeing in Cairo. We came home each day with dusty shoes and faces. In all fairness, there was a dust storm one day. The housekeeping service is so good that if they see your shoes in the bag to be cleaned during their turn-down rounds, they will send them off to be cleaned before you return from dinner. Shoes impeccably dusted and polished. Bottled water is plentiful and free.
The breakfast (buffet) is an extraordinary array of fresh breads, smoothies of the day, fresh juices, Egyptian fare, eggs, special pastries (sweet and not-so sweet) and Lebanese mezes, Our daughter decided that she was a breakfast eater there. However,the bacon was beef in origin. Oh well!
We often had a bite to eat in the tea salon when we were not interested in a full meal.
One night on our way to dinner at the Four Seasons Italian restaurant, we found that they were offering a huge seafood buffet. Our faces dropped in disappointment as we are used to very fresh fish. We looked at the food and changed our minds quickly. It was a display worthy of any serious yacht club's food. They also cooked to order any fish you wanted. All included in the dinner price.
The hotel also arranged a trip into the Sinai desert to St. Catherine's Monastery. It is a five our drive each way. Departure time : 5:am but worth watching the sunrise in the desert and over the Red Sea. We left with our pillows that morning and were happy to fall into our beds that night.
My only complaint is the muzak which follows you from outside your room, through the halls, into the elevator and into the restaurants. Never a moment of silence.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Palmosa
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 6, 2009

We (me, my husband and our 14 year old son) stayed here while on tour with Abercrombie and Kent. As you would expect with a Four Seasons property, the rooms are very large, the beds wonderful and the bathrooms very nice. We found the staff to be first rate and very helpful. The food and service in all restaurants was excellent. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2009

Four Seasons Cairo at First Residence proved to be a very beautiful and relaxing hotel offering a calm oasis to retreat to after spending time touring the pyramid fields and Cairo.

We had a wonderful view of the Nile River from our 9th Floor deluxe room for our three night stay. The hotel staff were very friendly and service oriented; although, the concierge services were not up to the standard set by the exceptional services provided by the concierge at the Four Seasons Alexandria at San Stefano.

The restaurants were excellent and fully booked. The first night we ate delicious Thai cuisine at Lai Thai and on our last night we ate Italian cuisine at Seasons Restaurant. We skipped breakfast so we cannot comment. Because Christmas Eve fell on a Wednesday, we enjoyed a seafood buffet complemented by Egyptian cuisine and a Christmas turkey dinner with all the trimmings.

The hotel was tastefully decorated for Christmas and the floral arrangements were spectacular. We enjoyed Christmas window shopping at the First Residence Mall and dining at the mall's lovely bistro.

We also stayed at the Four Seasons Cairo at Nile Plaza for four nights. The First Residence, while older, smaller and not as central, has a more intimate ambiance. The Nile Plaza's clientel are definitely dressed more formerly, the surrounding area is more upscale and hotel security is more evident. Unfortunately, when we stayed at the Nile Plaza, the restaurants offered exceptional food, service and decor; but were very quiet with few quests.

• Liked — Relaxed and luxurious atmosphere
  • Disliked — Pricey
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank VancouverMukluk
london U.K
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Firstly this hotel is old, tired and dated! Rooms in need of updating! Old Tv's decor etc!! Even just walking round the premises it does not feel like your in a Four Seasons Hotel! The food in 'The Lebanese Restaurant' was truly AWFUL! No wander it was always soooo quiet!!You can get fresher better tasting food at a roadside cafe! The first day I ordered a chicken dish as my main and it was HORRIBLE it tasted as though it had been cooked from frozen and was wet and not cooked enough also horrible quality! I did not eat it! The food in the Thai resaurant was O.K/not bad but not great, not as other reviewers said Authentic! And even when asking for very spicy the dishes were very mild?! we were here for 3 days and on the last day I had lunch again at The Lebanese restaurant you might ask why but I had already eaten in the Thai twice and The Italian did not have anything on the menu I fancied/could eat being dairy intolerant. So I decided to play it safe and just ordered Falafels, bread, Hummos and some small spinach pastries, with this I thought I could not go wrong! Anyway after taking my first bite into one of the Spinach pastries I bit down on something VERY hard/metal and was totally SHOCKED to find it was a 3 inch RUSTY old nail?!!!!!!! Unbelivable!!!!!!!!!! Anyways the management were truly apologetic, and gave us dinner in The Thai (again) on our last night free of charge and a late checkout, but it didnt really make it better! At the end of the day it could have been much worse and I could have been hospitalised!! We only ate out one night on a dinner cruise where the food was just about OK! But entertainment good!

I had lunch on the last day at The other four seasons in Cario on the Nile, it felt MUCH more like a Four Seasons Hotel standard, Newer, Grander, with a nicer pool area/loungers, Much better restuarants and a nice indoor pool too! Which we had booked to stay there!!! I ate in the Italian restaurant there which was pretty good! They made me fresh minestrone Soup and I had fillet steak for my main! My advice to anyone thinking of staying here is DONT!!!!!!!

• Liked — NOTHING!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — The Lebanese restuarant, VERY expensive spa and dated rooms!!!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank SharonlondonU.K
Mountainside, New Jersey
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Fantastic, comfortable, well-appointed hotel in a city which is often overwhelming and challenging to deal with. The staff is attentive to a fault and the rooms and restaurants are comfortable and terrific. You wouldn't want to spend all of your time here when Cairo is such an exotic and interesting place to see. But it's definitely a nice place to come "home" to.

• Liked — Location and comfort
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed December 28, 2008

It was the first time for my wife and my son (5 years old) to visit Egypt ... I wanted it to be a great trip. Four Seasons first resedence was our choice.
The Four Seasons First Residence was an excellent choice, it is really a 5 stars hotel ... From the lovely view of the Nile, the large, clean and well decorated rooms, the lovely and elegant bathrooms, the very professional and wonderful staff and of course the wonderful and tasty food.
It was really an excellent stay in that hotel and I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Mena House Hotel
Kempinski Nile Hotel Cairo
Pyramids View Inn
Pyramids View Inn
#1 of 41 in Giza

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence? Share your experiences!