“Stay in Indiana Hotel!”

Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Giza
Yorkshire, London
“Stay in Indiana Hotel!”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

I Stayed at Indiana Hotel also as Part of Intrepid Tour. I have to say the hotel was very good. Take a look at the photo I posted, the room is very modern and clean. The bathroom also was clean, hot shower all day long. I had one problem with the towels as I did not find any but in really just 3 minutes after I call they get my clean towels. The Breakfast was decent, Internet service excellent and very cheap. I asked about the swimming pool after I found the door closed they told me it is closed from October till March as it is winter in Egypt. The Staff was just perfect.
Photos do not lie, so take a look.

26 Thank Maro10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 25, 2009

We were at Indiana for 3 nights in total (2 at the beginning of our trip and 1 at the end) as part of an Egypt tour package organized by Intrepid (the rest of the hotels and the tour was fantastic).
My friends and I had varying bad experiences - cockroaches in the room, towels with stains, hot water stoppages, dirty carpets, abysmal service (I had to call 7 times for towels - and they didn't have any in the room in the first place).
I've done a fair bit of traveling and I'm certainly willing to rough it if needed, but this place was pretty bad!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank krishna_gr
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 25, 2009

I stayed here with a large Intrepid tour group. Our guide later informed us that Intrepid will no longer be using this hotel because of the numerous complaints they have received about it. I think the hotel may have known this and given us a lower quality of service. We were given a room on the fourth floor. It was incredibly dusty. The sheets and towels were stained. I slept on top of the bed in my own sleep sheet. The shower had plenty of hot water and good pressure, but the moldy shower curtain was not long enough to reach the top of the tub. As a result, the bathroom floor was soaked afterward. I won't review the rooms I didn't stay in, but I will say that it appeared we had one of the best rooms of the group. The hotel has a swimming pool, but there was no way I risk any sort of infection and enter that dirty hole. The included breakfast was decent. There was a large selection of foods and it all tasted fine. The computers in the internet cafe worked well and were only 5LE per half hour. All the staff we encountered though out the hotel was very friendly and they are the what saved this from being a 1 star review.

Tip: Most taxi drivers do not know where this hotel is. When you leave for the day, ask the front desk for the hotel card. It will have a small map and the address of the hotel in Arabic. This will be very helpful for you to find your way back.

5 Thank johnny-five
Adelaide
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Months ago, my wife and I booked to stay at the Indiana Hotel where Intrepid would start their tours. This was to get a transfer from Cairo airport to where we would stay, to reduce the hassle of this part of Cairo. In the end, not through choice, we ended up staying at the Indiana for a total of 6 nights, at three different times, so we can compare this hotel with about a 15 other places that we stayed at throughout October and November, both with Intrepid and not with them.It was probably the worst hotel that we stayed in, during 7 weeks away in the Middle East.

On arrival the first night the sheets were not clean. discovered late so we put up with it. (slept in our sleeping sheets). Then the second night there were no towels - I asked for some and they said "2 minutes". I asked two more times 30 minutes apart and they eventually got them. On another occasion when we had no towels, I helped myself to some from a pile outside on another floor. On another occasion, when the hotel appeared to have lots of spare rooms, there was some significant reconstruction of an old toilet next to our room - bits and pieces in the passage way.

Getting money in small denominations is often a problem in ME countries - the ATMs give out just large denominations. Try buying a couple of bananas with a 50 EP note. The hotel refused to change any money (a 200 into 100s or 50s) then 50 into anything smaller. They also offered free, but crappy, coffee (we were ready to pay for it), then they charged us anyway. Communication can be a problem.

All three rooms that we were given were dark, with 30s style curtains and furniture. They were also dirty.

At least the hot water worked, as did the old, very noisy air-conditioners (use earplugs). Rooms were big, but shower water went everywhere, so when the floor is flooded, what else can you do but use towels to mop it up? Breakfasts were OK. The internet cafe was OK, I think (did not use it).

A few other positives (no thanks to the Indiana) - to is in quite a good location, within walking distance of the centre of town, and near to a useful 24 hour supermarket, as well as several eating places, and a bank.

We did not use the pool.

I rated every hotel - the Indiana got 3/10

• Stayed October 2009
5 Thank Queenslandblue
Moscow
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I did not like my First Room at Indiana Hotel. I asked them to Change it and they did and Oh My God my Second Room was Fantastic. This is the Reason why the reviews are sometimes so different from each other, and this may happen at any other hotel.
As all reviewers agreed The Staff at Indiana hotel are friendly, the rooftop café is great and the business center is very good.
My Second room was clean, and the hotel as a whole seemed good for the price.
So, Yes Reviews may differ, but the truth is I liked Indiana Hotel.

24 Thank MarianY6
Sydney
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Although we only spent one night at the hotel we had the most incredible experience in Cairo ever and it was all due to the wonderful people at the Indiana Hotel. From the moment we walked into the lobby we knew that Indiana is a gem. Our room was clean, comfortable, and spacious, the beds comfortable and the showers hot. The staff was all polite and friendly. The Breakfast was excellent. One of the features of the hotel is the outdoor rooftop terrace and the wonderful city views it affords. If we ever came back to Cairo we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
28 Thank Loollita
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2009

This is one of the hotels that The Imaginative Traveler uses for their base in Cairo. There were about 18 people in our group and everyone hated this hotel. We all found it to be filthy with rundown equipment. The front desk staff were rude and unhelpful. If you are traveling with Imaginative they will give you a room on the 6th to 9th floors. They save the worse rooms for the travel groups. We all took cold showes at least once while we were there and could get no explanation as to why there was no hot water. If you are only spending one night in this hotel it should be fine but don't book for more than that. Although they have a pool it was dirty and I would not recommend swimming here.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank smallcatoh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Pharaohs Hotel & Casino
#99 of 137 in Cairo
Pyramids Plaza Hotel
Pyramids Plaza Hotel
#35 of 41 in Giza

Been to Indiana Hotel? Share your experiences!