“Friendly, clean, good food, not everything works but its a great base -would stay again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pharaohs Hotel & Casino

Pharaohs Hotel & Casino
Ranked #34 of 40 Hotels in Giza
Pacific Palms
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

My son and I were part of a Geckos Treasures of the Nile tour and stayed here for 3 nights on two separate occasions. I found it clean, some bathrooms a bit cramped, some doors to balconys locks not working, some power points a bit dodgy and fridge not working but hey - staff were great - I did not worry about security, breakfast good, resturant on top level - view of nile - we even had a room with a balcony on first stay. This hotel was great in coordination with Geckos Tour - who I would recommend to anyone and I am a 51 yo mum. I want to go back. NB this is simple digs and not for those who want 5 star creature comforts - there is fun to be had by just stepping out the front door to the surrounding streets and meeting people who want to show you their shops and if you have your wits about you - it is all part of the great experience which is Cairo. I bought the most amazing Papyrus painting just around the corner from the hotel at a little shop/gallery which was the best investment I made in Cairo and I love it .

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank MaxPacificPalms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hong Kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

We slept there for one night and will never go back. Bugs all over the room, especially on the toilet. Once we asked for cleaning service they arrived very late at night and we kick them out. Of course the day after they are all expecting a tip from us.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
13 Thank chinosch

Travelers are raving about these Giza hotels

Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

Stayed two nights as part of a tour, rooms I stayed in were decent, though not the biggest.
Area around hotel felt safe to walk around in, and had a bank, some restaurants and internet cafe. Close to the Sheraton - a handy place to get dropped off at if taking cabs around the city doing your own sight-seeing.
Staff was helpful enough, there was a laundry service, the restaurant served good food - not the best, but clean well made, decent variety.

Fridge in room was good amenity to have, and air conditioning worked well.

• Stayed March 2009
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

We spent 2 nights at this hotel as a part of a Gecko tour, Nile Escape. We had no problems. Our tour leader was great and would have helped us if there were any problems. Our room was recently renovated--it had a fresh paint smell. I discovered that Gecko/Imaginative Traveler has two levels of 3 star accommodations. Even though we didn't realize it, we were fortunate to have signed up for the higher level. The manager made it a point to ask if everything was OK.

The Metro is close by, so everything is accessible (1 LE, wonderful deal). There is a wonderful felafel shop 2 minutes away (also 1 LE).

My only complaint is that service in the 10th floor restaurant was very slow the night that Egypt won the big game over Angola. The food was adequate.

• Stayed January 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Larry087
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

The Pharoahs hotel was not the greatest hotel I have stayed in by far. I stayed there as part of my Gekko tour, and I booked one night on either side to extend my stay a few days. My first room on the 9th floor was not the greatest by far. It had a corner window that faced some very unattractive scenery. It was on the 9th floor. The bathroom was adequate, but my no means luxurious. There are signs on the door to run the water for 5 minutes before getting into the shower because it takes that long to get hot water.
The air conditioning unit made alot of noise and was not actually that functional. I walked into my room at one point to find that it was actually spitting out hot air!
My second set of rooms was a little nicer. On the 8th floor, it had a view of the nile and a balcony. the shower seemed to be in a bit better shape, and the room was a bit larger.
Neither of the rooms had a safe deposit box, and the hotel has a sign not recommending you leave any valuables in the room, that the hotel notes that unless you leave it at the front desk (which I wouldn't) they are not responsible for any lost or stolen property.
The dining room was adequate. the food was Ok, however nothing spectacular in terms of breakfast.
Service was adequate, although the hotel staff did not seem to know much about the sights and areas in Cairo. I asked them to direct me to the tent-makers market and they looked at me like I had three heads. I also asked for a map my first day. It looked hand drawn (and photocopied) and did not show things very well at all. My roommate did have an issue with the service. She asked them to do some laundry for her in the morning. When she went to pick it up that evening it was still dirty. they hadnt gotten around to it, and they said they would do it the next day. Unfortunately we were leaving the next day.

Despite these drawbacks, I thought the housekeepers were very good. They kept my room clean, and I had left some shirts on my bed in a pile, only to return to see them all neatly folded. Cudos to them! they were also very nice and very respectful people.

The location of this hotel, like others, was OK. Because it was in Dokki, you could walk to alot. there were a few restaurants around it, but if you were willing to walk 15-20 mins you could find plenty more. If you are willing to walk, you can walk to the cario museum and downtown cairo in about 20-30 minutes.

• Stayed January 2010
6 Thank sabrina123456789
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

Stayed 2 nights in 2 different rooms as part of an organised tour.

The first room had bathroom, curtains, aircon and tv that looked like they had never ever been cleaned. The TV remote looked like it had been fished from the local rubbish dump.

The Second Room was slightly better, looked cleaner and newer but TV in equal shambles. At least no loss at there were no english channels. (14" Tube TV)

The touts outside are bad. My own tour guide told me the 150 egyptian pounds quoted for a 1.5 hour taxi hire for a quick tour was reasonable, which we paid. Until I found out the same driver and car took one of our other tour group friends for a full half day (4 hours) for 100 Egyptian pounds.

You can trust a camel more than an egyptian, sad to say.

Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
18 Thank Sentosa88
Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

We stayed in three different rooms in the hotel over a total of four nights connected with an Intrepid tour. Our first room, on the third floor was extremely dirty and had a window that wouldn't close and an air conditioner that was missing part of the baffle between the inside and the outside so traffic noise was quite loud all night. The toilet leaked (fresh water) onto the floor and the ceiling in the bathroom was severely water damaged and falling in. Our second room, on the 5th floor, was a little better -- not as dirty and the bathroom was in a little better shape, but it was still very run down and depressing. Our last night at the hotel, we stayed on the newly-renovated fourth floor which was actually quite nice, but basic. The bathroom was mostly new and the room was generally clean and cheerful, but the electrical outlets for the TV and the small refrigerator didn't work. On the other hand, the hotel's staff was mostly friendly and genuinely helpful, the petite bar was nice, and the restaurant's food was edible. If we had stayed only on the fourth floor, we would have given the place a slightly higher rating. Beware, the local 'sharks' gather outside of this hotel because tour groups come and go daily and they know they can take advantage people new to Cairo.

• Stayed December 2009
9 Thank Desertfan1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Santana Hotel
Helnan Dreamland Hotel
King Hotel
King Hotel
#98 of 139 in Cairo

Been to Pharaohs Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!