“Average Budget Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 40 Hotels in Giza
Berlin, Germany
“Average Budget Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here at the beginning and the end of a G Adventures trip. It feels like two different hotels.

The first night, I was in an unrenovated room on the 4th floor, that was cold, had no water pressure, and no hot water. The bedding was at least 30 years old, as was the tiny television. I would give this hotel zero stars - worst hotel room I've ever had.

The last night, I was in a renovated room on the 6th floor, which had new bedding, scalding hot water, a small flat screen TV, and plenty of water pressure. The room had nice tile floor, and was clean and modern. Unfortunately, in the case of both rooms, it's quite loud as you can hear everything in the hallway.

On the 10th floor, there's a restaurant which serves decent meals and beer.

Overall, there are better hotels in Cairo for the same price, without the risk of getting an ancient unrenovated room.

WiFi only works in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank berlinflyer83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We started our tour by checking into Pharaohs Hotel staying for two days exploring Cairo and surroundings before leaving for Dahab. Before we left Egypt, we stayed another two nights as flights were not available.

There's a guy at the door taking your luggage upstairs to your room, even though you tell him that you'll take it up yourself, he insists on taking it up to your room and then waits expecting a tip.

I needed to sort something out with my bank in order to get access to my money or draw cash, they wanted to charge me 70 Egyptian Pounds to make a phone call, but wouldn't allow me to make the phone call without paying first. Luckily a tour guide / taxi driver helped me out since the hotel wasn't willing to help. We also asked them to make a few local phone calls to our tour operators in order to make arrangements, etc. We were billed for each of these calls even though the amounts were very small (we had to go draw money first before we could checkout).

The first room we checked into was very dirty, shower was very cramped (my elbows knocked on the walls while trying to wash my hair), warm water would stop in a mid 5-minute shower and then there would be no warm water for several hours.
The second room we had was actually cleaned by somebody and was in a more respectable condition than the first room, but the balcony door didn't lock.

The cleaning lady knocked on our door one morning while were trying to get some sleep, she kept on knocking. Eventually I put on some clothes to hear what the emergency was, she didn't understand a word English, so I closed and locked the door again. She knocked again, and I politely asked her to come back later when we were out of the room.

Lifts were tricky to operate, the swinging door in front of the sliding doors sometimes wouldn't close and the lift would be stuck. A sidekick fixed that pretty quickly.

We tried watching TV one night, except for the variety of English channels to choose from not being that great, the overall reception on all the channels were very poor.

Breakfast was usually a dozen varieties of bread, good bread, but not a great breakfast if you're on your feet all day exploring places. We didn't even know that there was a non-smoking section until our last day, the smoking section is the area as you enter the dining area, on your right is the area where you help yourself to breakfast, on the left there's a very small non-smoking section. Having people smoke while you have breakfast or having to walk through a smoking section in order to get breakfast is not pleasant.

The 10th floor restaurant was a bit of a disappointment in terms of service, the food was great, but it took almost an hour to get food. When I ordered a mango juice, they didn't have any, changed it to a strawberry juice, nothing either, changed it to apple juice, nothing either. I asked them, what do you have, the waiter left to make a phone call and said they only have orange juice. After ordering food, the waiter left to make another phone call, 1 hour later, somebody came up the lift with the food. Orange juice also took about 30 minutes even though we were the only two people in the restaurant.

There's also no wifi in the rooms, you have to go down to the bottom floor in order to get access to wifi and then sit in a smoking section in order to use it. Internet speed wasn't too bad for browsing.

As soon as you leave the hotel, you're being hassled all the way.

Would I make a booking at this hotel if I had to make the booking myself? Hell no!
Don't know why the tour operator is using them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
25 Thank JanVladimirMostert

Travelers are raving about these Giza hotels

Isesaki, Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Firstly, Egypt is worth visiting.

Secondly, do not stay at this place. What Casino btw?

This wasnt a choice I made, it was through a tour group and I really hope they do not use this place again.

Breakfast was awful, and do not order from the kitchen - except the delicious Egyptian beer!

We got incredibly ripped off from the hotel staff for a taxi but we were tired from our flight so accepted it. On the day of a checkout we were about to head down into the shops when the cleaners knocked on the door to clean our room. We said we were going to the shops, we will be back and then we will check out. The cleaners seemed to understand even saying okay no problems. We get back, our suitcases are next to the front door! The hotel lobby was full of people and we were shocked and annoyed at this. We hadn;t finished checking the room for our stuff. We went back to our room, ate our food, and were so frustrated we then checked out (leaving something behind unfortunately). We were rushed, and I really didn't feel like tipping for something (again) we didn't want done. I was a very happy man when our ride pulled up to take us to the airport!

Anyway, food - awful. Breakfast - awful. Service - very average at best. WIFI - poor. Location - okay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
23 Thank Anton_Perth
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

In Cairo everyone hassled us - even before we left the airport. The hotel was no different. The porter was not happy with our tip and insisted on finding us a taxi. When we asked the cost for a trip he said 25 Egyptian pounds. But just a few yards away we found a normal white and yellow taxi with a meter - and he charged us only 10 Egyptian pounds.

The hotel does not have a safe in each room. They only have a common safe in the lobby with the keys hanging on the wall!

Breakfast was good.

Location was OK - but we did get harassed by shopkeepers and legal taxi drivers as soon as we left the hotel. This was quite unpleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
25 Thank gv252
Sakarya, Turkey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

good location, only good location. the hotel was the dirty hotel i've ever seen. breakfast was terrible. only egg, cheese and tomate. i was there in Jan2008 for 3 nights.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
25 Thank Mirac A
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

The service, price and the hygiene of the hotel is excellent!
I really enjoyed my time at Pharaohs hotel.
The food was fresh and tasty. The chef is one of Egypt's most experienced chefs.
The reception were very helpful and knew how to make you feel welcome especially one of the workers called George "Joe",
I strongly advise you to come to Pharaohs hotel when you are in Cairo!

Room Tip: The suite rooms were the best!