“Good but limited beyond the pyramids”

Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Giza
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The view once the air had cleared from the early morning mist(smog?) was wonderful. We had a pyramid view room but to be honest it was not worth it, as they were not visible when we woke or went to bed due to the mist.

In the afternoon by the pool however the view was amazing. We walked upto the pyramids, which took about 10 minutes. Which means that you have to cross the very busy main road which the hotel sits on. It was a little like the scene with Eddie Murphy in Bowfinger but we made it. The hawkers are a nuisance, even the ones who look quite official and tell you you can't walk up there - you can.

If you haven't seen them then it is worth the vist and not expensive to get in. You cannot get too close to them, which protects them so no climbing on them as I did many years ago. But certainly worth it.

After that visit there is really not much else to do, we did walk around a little but got pestered so much it was not pleasant. My husband has no problem being rude but they are persistant.

There is a great TexMex restaurant and bar to eat in, but the menu in the main hotel is very good too. The main bar area is in reception, so not that welcoming. Pool bar is great.

Our room was not really quiet, so better sound proofing may help. And there is a really busy road just outside the hotel.

Service was very good and certainly made our stay pleasant.

Room Tip: It was not really worth the extra for the pyramid view as we could not see them when in our room - b...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luvtogo6
Write a ReviewReviews (3,029)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Pleasant hotel. Pool has a good view of pyramids. It is so close and we visited the pyramids for the sound and light show. Cairo Restaurant nearby is also very good.

Though the Egyptian museum is some distance away, they are planning to relocate it v near the pyramids so that would make this an ideal choice hotel.

Breakfast was a good spread and started early so that's good if you have an early flight.
We saw a wedding reception being celebrated as well and this is a safe and good choice.
Security is indeed impressive with small poles that retract into the ground, only after vehicles are checked. Not necessary as Egypt is really a wonderful and safe place. Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rosyy
Reviewed January 3, 2013

we stayed over the New Year holiday and had an excellent time. The staff was extremely helpful and were at our beck and call 24/7. Our suite overlooked the Pyramids which made welcoming the New year surreal. The buffet breakfast was excellent with both western and local cuisine. The shi sha lounge overlooking the pool was fantastic. The attendant came around every ten minutes to make sure the coals were perfect. The Concierge arranged for an Egyptologist to visit the Giza Necropolis which was a 5 minute ride away. There are many choices to stay in Giza. Le Meridien is the best.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Pyramids are exceptional
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank waveguy777
Reviewed December 28, 2012

As part of our trip to Egypt, we spent two nights in Cairo, to see the Pyramids, Sphinx and Museum.

The hotel is well situated for the Pyramids, Sphinx. But due to the horrendous traffic in Cairo, isn’t well situated for the Museum and Airport.

We found the hotel to be extremely good. Having read previous reports, I think we were in one of the renovated sections. If so, the renovated room was excellent.

It did however lack in tea and coffee making facilities.

Our room backed on to a rear road, so didn’t get as much traffic noise as those abutting the main road. The room did however suffer from noise coming from a building site opposite. A new block of flats was being constructed. One floor was laid with concrete the first night until 01.30. The next night supporting columns until 00.30!
So not a great two nights sleep, but not the hotels fault.

The water was very expensive, so we purchased 6 bottles for 15 Egyptian Pounds at a kiosk; 100 yards from the hotel entrance (just turn left).

The food was very good. We ate once by the pool, for a late lunch and twice in the mail restaurant (one a la carte and one buffet). The breakfast was excellent also.

One of the main delights of our stay was the gym and spar facilities. These were brilliant. The indoor facilities were the best I have experienced, particularly the large Jacuzzi/ bath, with subdued lighting. A complete relaxation experience.

About Cairo………
Travel throughout Cairo was next to impossible, due to congestion and the driving habits of the locals.

The Egyptians communicate by using their horns, to the constant noise got quite in tolerable, both around Cairo and around the pool, so I would not recommend Cairo as a destination if you want a quiet relaxing time, but this is not the hotels fault, more a fault of the Egyptians living in Cairo, making their City, the worst place I have ever visited.

For two days this is just a bout tolerable, to see the sights, but no longer!

None of the above is the hotels fault; it’s just the nature of the city/location.

I would highly recommend the Pyramids and Sphinx (we had a guide, booked through Thomas Cook). The museum was okay, but highly dated, in the presentation of the exhibits. As I right this review, a new museum is being built adjacent to the Pyramids and Sphinx, so if you are thinking of visiting, I would recommend you wait until the new Museum is finished.

I can recommend the hotel, just not Cairo!

Room Tip: get a room away from the main road!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Our family of 4 had 2 nights at this hotel. I had high expectations being a Starwood hotel, but was disappointed. We were given a room in the old section and being an American in a foreign country, I did not want to draw extra attention, so did not ask to be moved. Our room's overlooked the front entrance, which meant we faced the pyramids AND the extremely busy and loud street. If you think you are booking a hotel away from it all in the desert, near the pyramids, you are not! While it is covenient to the pyramids, it is on the major thoroughfare and our rooms were severely impacted by the noise. The restaurant for breakfast was nice. The buffet very large, but not a lot of variety of food, it is just really spread out, so makes you feel like there is a lot. The pool is gorgeous, but unfortunately our short stay did not allow time to enjoy since it closes at dusk. The best thing about the hotel is the Tex Mex Restaurant. We laughed when checking in to see such a site in Egypt and decided to eat there as a joke. It is the best meal we have had in Egypt so far! Overall, the staff at Le Meridien are friendly. The rooms we had as I mentioned were not renovated, so were pretty average. Worn carpet, big box TV (decent channels with English), bathroom was nice, but needs updating. Coffee makers in the room would be a nice touch too!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, away from the road.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lovetovacation0022
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Lets start with the good points; location to the Giza pyramids is excellent. You can see three of the Pyramids from the pool terrace and from the pool view rooms in the renovated wing. The front of house staff and house-keeping staff were very attententive without being overbearing. Also, the lobby coffee shop has excellent service and is well attended. The communication with the front of house staff when booking my room and an airport transfer was professional and very friendly. I stayed in the renovated wing but on the east side of the building, it is street facing with no view of the pyramids and I did hear some traffic noise although not enough to keep me awake all night. I would suggest requesing a room as far away from the road as possible. I was travelling primarily on business but did do a little bit of sightseeing. In that regard the rooms are sufficient but not outstanding. They are comfortable and decorated to a 4 star business hotel standard however some small additions like tea and coffee making facilities in the room would make a significant improvement. The internet/wifi in the rooms was very unreliable and I did need on one occaision to go and sit in the coffee shop to do some work, I noticed several other people doing the same. However, 3G was also generally unreliable for the duration of my trip so this may be as much a general ISP issue in Egypt at the moment as an issue for the hotel.

The hotel restaurant operates a buffet breakfast and your choice of buffet or al a carte for dinner. The food was mostly western and was of an average to below average standard for both dinner and breakfast. The service in the restaurant was also not of as high a standard as the rest of the hotel. Some serious improvements need to be made in this area.

One huge benefit of staying at this hotel was the introduction to one of the drivers, Saad. Using the hotel car service will cost you a bit more than a regular taxi service but it had fantastic benefits. Saad personally ushered me to a stable for my pyramid tour and negotiated on my behalf. I also didn't have to endure the hawkers at the main gate of the Pyramids park as I was taken through a side gate. On my final morning I visited Old Cairo and again Saad ensured I was got the best deal wherever we went. I would highly recommend using Saad (you don't have to be staying at the hotel).

All in all I found the hotel to be sufficient and comfortable, its redeeming feature being the hospitaility and guest attention delivered by the staff, some of them have worked at the hotel for over 20 years. It's well located for the Pyramids and for southern access but for Cairo sightseeing I would stay in Cairo itself for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: Request a room in the renovated wing with a pool view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2012

If you want to stay close to the pyramids ,you have no choice ,but if you don't ,just stay away from this nightmare...Firstly the hotel is definitely not a four star as it was listed when I booked. The rooms are small and very dusty.Sleeping was virtually impossible due to the noise of heavy traffic and constant horn beeping from the main road outside the hotel at all hours of the night and morning. House keeping was poor,they wouldn't clean our room ,or change our towels. Seeing the pyramids was difficult because the windows were so dirty.
The food is horrible,BUT the mexican restaurant is awsome...
Just book your room someplace else ,if it's possible.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Hajnalka K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Mena House Hotel
Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx
Barcelo Cairo Pyramids
Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence
Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah

Been to Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!