“Fantastic hotel, great pool, spa. Food could be better!”

Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Giza
Warwickshire
“Fantastic hotel, great pool, spa. Food could be better!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

No major complaints here, for the surrounding area the hotel is like an oasis in central Giza. The view of the Great Pyramid is stunning, and the pool (fit with bar) is spectacular. You can barely see Khafre's pyramid and you cannot see Menkaure's from the Hotel. The food was average, not brilliant. Lovely mexican restaurant at the front of the hotel too, highly recommended the ice cream was unbelievable - best i've tasted! Rooms were clean and spacious. Wonderful hotel - bit expensive though!

Room Tip: There has been a new block which has just been added, stay in there. I think our room was 3093.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Zakerias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed September 20, 2012

As an Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond and Hilton Diamond guest, I have travelled the world and stayed at hundreds of hotels.

On many stays my second guest checks in before I do due to different flights. Despite emailing the hotel, adding the guest's name to the reservation and receiving confirmation from their reservations department, my second guest was denied check in. The hotel blatantly refused to check them in until I arrived. Front desk, the front desk manager and others came up with a multitude of lame excuses as to why they wouldn't allow it, despite written confirmation.

This was for a one month stay in Egypt.

I have never encountered such rudeness, arrogance and stupidity from any other hotel in the world.

Quite simply: Do not stay here.

We moved our business to the Four Seasons First Residence and will never return due to the ineptitude of staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank mikeyaus
Tarragona, Spain
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We visited Egypt for our honeymoon, choosing this hotel during our visit. Just one word: amazing! We asked for a room with pyramids view and we obtained it: we strongly recommend it if you plan a romantic trip. If your trip is not romantic, we recommend the cheaper (but still amazing) rooms without pyramids view.
We really enjoyed the hotel: stylish design, high level of cleanliness everywhere, high quality of rooms and facilities, very nice swimming pool and breakfast/dining area (with good food). Staff is qualified and friendly, with a good knowledge of english: suitable requirements for foreign tourists.
Locations is desirable if you plan to visit attractions like Saqqara, Dashour and Giza. If you want to visit Cairo, we still recommend this hotel, because Cairo is very noisy during the night and the quality of air is not good as in Giza, where the hotel is placed.
It is worth remarking that we felt safe during our visit: the hotel has high standards for safety and security.
Everything has been perfect and we strongly recommend this hotel for your visit, especially if it is your first time.

Room Tip: If money is not a problem, ask for rooms with pyramids view, avoiding rooms at ground floor too clos...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lius84
Kent
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I visit Cairo every year and stayed here a few years ago whilst the hotel was under-going major renovations, and obviously, the review was quite poor albeit, not their fault. This time I took more friends and, because one of them couldn't afford the expense of their own room, we booked a room for triple occupancy. Upon arrival at around 10:00PM, we were brought to a room that had two beds and a sofa, which acted as a put-me-up type bed so we assumed that we needed to make this into the 3rd bed we had booked and asked the porter where the linen, pillows and quilt were. We fast realised that the room hadn't been prepared for 3 people at all as there were only 2 bath robes, towels for 2, only 2 glasses etc. We asked the porter to verify that we were in the correct room and were told that we were so we went to reception to ask if the room could be prepared for the triple occupancy we had booked. We sat, had a drink for an hour and wandered up to the room to unpack and settle down only to find that nothing had actually happened so we went to reception again and was told that the person who is preparing the room was dealing with a suite elsewhere and would get to us as soon as possible. We sat and had another drink and was approached by yet another porter who asked us if we were happy with our room, we told him the situation and off he went to ask a few questions only to return with the same story. Over an hour later the same porter returned and told us that HE had got the room sorted and wanted to take us to the room to 'show us' ... 'No need to show me' i replied 'if the bed is made, we are happy enough'....But no, this porter wanted to escort us because he wanted to be tipped like every other staff member that you get thrown to upon your arrival. This is how Egypt works and it's wrong, it's annoying and it fast displeases the Guests - You arrive, you tip the Driver, your suitcases are wheeled 10 feet inside the door, you tip the staff member who carried them there, another member of staff then turns up to wheel your cases to your room, you tip them, but when you're not happy with something about the room another member of staff turns up to put things right and expects yet another tip??. After 2 hours we could finally get into our room and decided it was way too late to worry about un-packing suit cases and upon waking up the next morning we found that we only had 6 clothes hangers in the wardrobe between 3 people for a week so i asked the house-keeping staff member if we could have a couple more - we never got them so we basically had to live out of our suitcases for a week. The most annoying thing about this was that we saw the same staff member a few days later and was told by him that some hangers were brought to our room but we were not there!!...Obviously, they don't like to just leave them without us being present because they don't get the all-important tip??

You get to the point where you are too scared to ask for anything because everyone expects a tip and, when low denomination notes are like gold dust, i was even too worried about telling the receptionist that our fridge has never worked since day one because whoever replaces or fixes it would expect the lowest note i have of 100LE for doing it. They even left bottles of water (2 for 3 people) inside a fridge that was hotter than the pool bar and obviously not working - DID YOU NOT NOTICE THIS?

After a week of housekeeping converting everything in the room back to a double-occupancy room by taking away the extra set of towels, extra glass and extra robe every day I decided that I won't return to this hotel again and will go back to staying at the Mena House Oberoi further down the road every year. Also, the rooms could do with a little renovation and cleaning as they look a little tired and grim. The carpets especially need some TLC.

The service in the reception bar has become very poor since my last visit and I couldn't work out why. The last time i visited we would take a seat and would be approached by a staff member to take orders for drinks but this time it was as if we were invisible until we made it obvious that we wanted drinks by finding a staff member and asking them. After the first drinks are brought out it becomes easier to get served again but maybe this is because a lot of people who are not drinking use this area just to sit so the staff are confused as to who is waiting to be served and who isnt?...The easiest solution i can suggest is to train the staff to ask instead of assuming that everyone is just taking the weight off their feet. We found it easier to sit and have drinks in the Shisha corner where the staff are a lot more attentive and friendly, especially a young man by the name of Mahmood Ali, who made us feel very welcome and was great to chat to. The 2 lads who serve shisha were also fantastic and deserve some recognition from the Hotel Manager, who i must say doesn't seem to actually move away from the television in the shisha corner and seems highly unapproachable for some reason. You could argue that the Egyptian way of Managing a hotel is to sit watching television, delegating jobs whilst smoking shisha and acting like the President of Egypt himself but the Assistant Manager, Sara Samuel, has a different approach and is much more professional and personal. A proper Manager.

Maybe a change of Management is needed here and the Assistant has the right idea with her hands-on approach, communication skills, excellent appearance, obvious sincerity and has the ability to look a Guest in the eye and speak to them unlike her immediate superior - who is sat smoking a shisha and watching the football with his very arrogant friend?

There is no entertainment whatsoever which i can only assume is because they see no need for it. Giza is well known for being a place where Guests arrive for just a few days and, in most cases, just for one evening whilst visiting the Pyramids, so why would they need entertaining?..Why the need to create a holiday atmosphere?..What this place needs to recognise is that some people, like myself and many of my family and friends, actually stay for 1, or maybe 2 weeks in Cairo and would like to enjoy an Egyptian atmosphere and not the same 'Acid Jazz' CD played over and over again all day and night?

All in all, it's not the worst hotel i have stayed in but what annoys me is that it could be so much better; There has obviously been a lot of investment in renovations and it shows; It really could be a modern and dynamic place but it feels like some of the staff, including the Manager himself, were left behind in the days when all the staff cared about was chasing tips from Guests staying on a short stop-over in Giza.

And there i think i have it; It feels like a motel and not a hotel - it's basically a premier-inn in disguise - it's the same as the motel you stayed in at the airport the night before you flew to Cairo but without the need to tip everybody.

Le Meridien: If you are going to attract repeat business you need to re-evaluate what kind of establishment you are and set your stall out accordingly. If your major concern is to pack Guests in and turn them around quickly then don't offer 2-week packages, keep the uncomfortable beds, the unconcerned Manager, the unmotivated housekeeping staff (unless you tip big) and continue to play the same CD over and over again. But If you are going to offer 2-week packages then you need to make some changes and start by telling your staff that we are Guests and not just a cash cow with deep pockets and spare notes to throw around.

I will end this review by saying that the food in the main restaurant (Latest Recipe) is absolutely superb and thank you to the excellent Sara Samuel for recommending this to us. Also a big thank you to Mahmood Ali and the shisha lads for some great evenings in your company and a brilliant service but, sadly the bad points outweigh the good points so i won't be returning.

Room 3131 - 12 Sept - 18 Sept

Room Tip: You have no choice - pay more and get a good room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank deekyKent
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed in Room 2118, which was lovely and fully renovated but a long walk from the lobby. It overlooked the very pretty pool and the Pyramids themselves. This hotel is very well-located for Pyramids tourism.

One note: Western visitors need to leave their do-it-yourself approach at home. Some of the other guests have complained about being refused a tea kettle for their rooms; I asked for a clothes iron and was also refused. Actually, I asked for one, waited an hour for it to arrive, then called again and was told that none was available, but the hotel's laundry service would be happy to iron my dress for me and that I could pay with a credit card. About 30 minutes later, a lady in traditional garb showed up and took my simple cotton dress away; 90 minutes later, after another phone call, an entirely different employee returned with my dress and demanded cash. The whole process took so long that I arrived late for my event.

The bottom line is: in a country with a lot of unemployment and a lot of unskilled labour like Egypt, your job as a 5-star hotel guest is to provide employment and tips to as many people as possible, and to provide plenty of time to do it, as Egyptian time is not the same as Western time. If you want tea, order it 45 minutes before you think you'll need it and tip generously.

Generally a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated wing near the pool. Allow the bellman to bring your luggage there, as it'...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
hong kong
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

There are two kind of rooms here. An upgraded wing and and old rooms. I got the old rooms which are desperately in need of a renovation. Housekeeping is haphazard. Water one day and none another. Bed sheets looks unclean and stained. 2 bottles of shampoo and no bath gel. Unbecoming of a so called 5 star hotel. God gym and pool though although I saw staff pouring water from ice bucket into pool drains. There is a reason why their prices are deceptively reasonable.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Tramp1969
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel has a very good proximity to the Pyramids of Giza. I enjoyed walking along the Al-Haram Street from Le Meridien because of the view. I strolled Cairo alone with the public transportation. I went to Mall of Arabia and City Star. Good thing the micro-buses are passing along the hotel so I never had any problem, aside of course from my poor Arabic. The rooms are neat and well-maintained. I like the interior. As for the lobby and reception, it's beautiful. Well, it is expected from a Starwood Group member. They served plenty of delectable food to choose from. One thing that made this hotel very special to me was the fact that they open the buffet hall for early breakfast - as early as 3 a.m. That really amazed me. I went to the restaurant manager to ask for my breakfast box because my flight to Luxor was at 6 a.m. so I need to leave the hotel by 4. This hotel is really for tourist.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank NelsonJR06
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Mena House Hotel
Barcelo Cairo Pyramids
Ramses Hilton
Ramses Hilton
#13 of 138 in Cairo

Been to Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!