“Good value for money.”

Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Giza
London
“Good value for money.”
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed for a week in mid February and found some exaggerations in the condemnation of the hotel posted by other reviewers, It is not a five star hotel but we never expected it to be for the price paid. They did everything as advertised and our room was clean and comfortable with essentials changed daily.

The breakfast buffet was excellent although the hot food provided at dinner was variable in quality and cold. However, enough alternative dishes were available to ensure that we didn't starve. The breads and pastries were always excellent.

Relatively few people were staying at the hotel at the time of our visit - which was a bonus, ensuring peace and quiet. The grounds and pool are very well kept. Staff were generally helpful and efficient. Note that mosquitoes can be a problem at certain times of year - be prepared.

It is really not as bad as some reviewers have suggested. We would probably not visit Cairo again but would consider a second stay if we did.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi (British)
Reviewed February 3, 2009

This hotel is DISGUSTING! I would never advise anyone to stay here. The place is filthy and crumbling, most of the staff couldn't care less whether you have a problem or not, we spent over an hour each night swatting mosquitos and spraying the room to no avail, each morning we woke up to loads more bites, my children each had around 150 bites all over them, we had to get in the doctor (who was very nice and even came back later in the day to check on us) who was accompanied by someone from 'management' who refused to believe that the children were bitten, even in the face of overwhelming evidence, she thought it was more likely they had chicken pox, basically not wanting the hotel to take any blame! Nice doc gave us lotion and medicine for the bites. Breakfast was crap, food in the bar and Italian restaurant was good. Our tour guide told us that the hotel was well known locally for NOT being 5* accommodation and for having a MASSIVE mosquito problem, this coming from a local. Apparently the local tourist board are dropping the rating of this hotel to a 3*, still too good in my opinion, I would rate this as a 1* or not rate it at all. The corridors outside the rooms were akin to Butlins in the 70s - dark, dank concrete. While we were there, the pool area was filthy - took 3 clean children down there who all returned with black feet! We couldn't wait to get away.

• Liked — Shutting the door on my way out (which was broken by the way)
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank cherrypie18

Travelers are raving about these Giza hotels

Hereford UK
Reviewed February 1, 2009

I stayed at this hotel and having read the other TA reviews after I stayed, I must say I dont share many of the negative comments.
Lets be honest 5 star hotel designation in Egypt is certainly not the same in the West, but for value for money this hotel is actually quite good, after all what 5 star hotel do you get in London, Paris or Dubai for around 45USD a night per room?
So you need to put this price in perspective to the quality of experience , and if you really want a Western standard 5 star hotel experience in Cairo,then this hotel is not for you.
The hotel is many blocks around a central courtyard which contains the Pool and restaurants. On arrival your luggage is taken to the room with a golf cart type luggage trolley by the porters, who did not appear to me to drive dangerously or unsafely.
The hotel is clean and you can see the pyramids from the roof of the reception.
I used the squash courts and the gymnasium staff were helpful and friendly,
The food in the restaurants was ok. Breakfast is buffet style in the room above the reception. It had the usual cakes/ eggs and sausages that seems to be the staple fare of Egyptian hotel breakfasts.
Evening meals were in a different restaurant and were varied and reasonably presented.
The room had a can of Raid to protect against mosquitoes but this was not necessary as I did not hear any mosquitoes. That said it was chilly outside in the evenings and so I would have expected mosquitoes to keep a low profile.
The bedroom I stayed in was clean, sheets on the bed were immaculate and the bathroom was presentable, albeit with tired fittings. i really am at a loss to see the dramatic negative reviews of other posters.
If you are out all day sightseeing as I was (and most people are) then I have to say I believe this hotel offers a reasonable experience for the money paid. I would say you would consider it 3 star UK standard.
The pool looked beautiful, but I did not use it as I was out all day and it was too cold in the evenings to swim.
Taxis... There is a taxi desk in the hotel, but if you go out of the otel, turn left and you will find some local cabs about 75 metres up the road on the canal side.These were about 60 Egyptian Pounds cheaper than the Hotel cab for a trip to the airport.
All in all, for me, not a negative experience..........for me the only negative was the rip off price for Internet access, the rest was an ok experience.

• Liked — Easy access to Pyramids ( by car)
  • Disliked — Internet access is overpriced
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank LezGoLezGo
Dana Point, CA
Reviewed January 21, 2009

This was my worst hotel experience EVER! I even tried three separate rooms - totally disgusting, smelly and I was chased down in the dark by two staff members in a golf cart - I was with a group but was so frightened that I paid extra to leave early.

Still having nightmares...

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING - Smelly
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank Pupluvr
cardiff
Reviewed January 11, 2009

stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in dec. Was wary of booking due to poor reviews but price was very good for the six of us and there were free transfers to/from airport thrown in. Also the tours we had booked meant we would only be bed and breakfasting as out all day and staying in Giza meant we would avoid traffic(which was true). I know different people at different times will have a different experience but this hotel is NOT BAD. Usual considerations of egyptian 5 star not being international standard 5 star apply of course. The staff were polite, helpful and didnt hassle for tips as has been suggested previously. The only unhelpful person was the taxi booking man but we soon figured out that the taxis waiting outside were better value and met the schumacker of the previous post. The rooms were able to take an extra bed for the kids and had massive storage space. The ac worked, there were no mossies and the can of raid was there but not used. The fittings were, on closer inspection if you were that bothered, worn around the edges but were clean despite the duststorms in Cairo and same about the bathrooms. Despite the slightly tarnished fittings and clean but slightly discoloured patches of grout, the shower was the hottest power shower we had the whole 4 week stay in egypt. Beds were big and comfy. Breakfast was not as good as our previous 3 hotels but was a more adequate buffet than you would get in a similar hotel in europe. Eggs were freshly cooked at the chef station and the rest was continental/egyptian style typical breakfast buffet. We had one evening meal in buffet which was ok ish (good puds though) and a slightly better meal in the outside pizza restaurant by the pool (offers other food apart from pizzas). Kids used squash court but not pool(big pretty pool) as too cold. The grounds are well maintained, secure and picturesque so it seems to be a popular place for wedding/engagement parties. These did not bother us at all as soundproofing was good but if you were right next to the ballroom there may be noise. This is right at the bottom of the complex at the far end of the pool - they seemed to put tourists at the top of the complex and the wedding guests in the blocks nearer the party so there did seem to be some planning. Maybe this is a problem when it is warmer and the party is outdoors? Internet is expensive here, you have to pay for the room connection so we waited till we were out to net up. I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Liked — shower, good sized rooms, better than expected
  • Disliked — evening buffet, need taxi to get to any other food source
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Having booked this hotel on a whim as it seemed very cheap for a 5*, I got very worried upon reading the reviews - many of which gave the hotel 0 or 1 out of 10. Needless to say, it put a dampener on our holiday preperation as we geared ourselves up for a shocker! We were very much mistaken.
On arrival at the hotel late in the evening (around 11pm) it looked quite small and had lots of Xmas/New Year decorations all over the front of the building. Some very helpful porters and staff organised our keys and showed us to our apartment. Upon walking out the back of the main entrance toward the room we were struck by the beautiful complex which had huge palm trees lining a seemingly endless corridor towards the pool area - it looked very beautiful when lit at night.
We had booked a room with a garden view, which meant we were in one of many small complexes within the grounds - there were approx 20 apartments within each building.
You will have seen that this hotel is rated as a 5* - it is not. It was perhaps 5* when it first opened, but the decor and general cleanliness has fallen a little short of that. Remember though, that this is Egyptian 5*, and that the price of this hotel is VERY reasonable! I would rate the room overall as a UK 3*, which is still decent for the money we paid (approx GBP30 per person per night). The entire room, including the bathroom were hygienically very clean (very fresh bedding, no dust or dirt anywhere), however, time had taken its toll on the bathroom, which has rusted taps, and a dated suite. I might add however, that the quality (i.e. the power and heat) of the shower was the best I have ever had!!
I realise that we travelled in early January, but I can honestly say that there was not one mosquito inside our room for our entire stay. Obviously we didnt leave the balcony doors open as it wasnt scorching hot, but I could imagine that for those who travel in the summer who need their doors open, that you would encounter mosquitoes, especially due to the enormity of the pool which is nearby. But then what would you expect in the middle of the desert?? Still, the hotel provide a can of Raid insect killer in each room which we sprayed into the aircon vents just in case.
Room service was UK quality as I couldnt pick a fault with it - everything changed and tidied as would be expected. My other half even left a very expensive watch on the side table by mistake one day, and although we feared the worst for being in Egypt where I thought theft would be rife, it was still there when we got back after a long day out.
Breakfast in the hotel was continental, although they had a chef on hand who was cooking english style breakfast items every day (sausages, eggs, etc). The cleaning staff were very efficient as well. We only paid Bed & Breakfast, so cant comment on the evening meals, however, there is a restaurant in the grounds who I think caters for Full Board and the menu looked very good indeed. There is also a cafe/bar by the pool which cook decent food, and serve drinks most of the day and night. I can recommend the Egyptian Koftas and Tahini as a light meal to anyone!! I must say that they have a "cabaret/karaoke" singer on every night who, well, wouldnt get through X-Factor/Pop Idol audition stages!
The hotel has Ethernet cables in the rooms, although ours didnt work when we plugged it into a laptop (perhaps we had to specifically request it be turned on?). There is also an internet cafe in the hotel lobby, however, they were VERY expensive (around GBP5 for 30 mins only!).
The hotel has a postal box which is emptied every day, and one of the souvenir shops in the lobby sells stamps and postcards at standard rates.
The hotel sells all sorts of alcohol, although the wine is somewhat expenise compared to the beer (as it is everywhere in Egypt). A local Stella - which is a very decent beer - sells for around GBP1.80 in the hotel bars, while a bottle of wine is around GBP16. Coffee and tea costs approx GBP1.
As for the location - well, I had read somewhere that it was a walk from the Pyramids at Giza....I most certainly would not recommend this, unless you want to cut about an hour of your day and risk life and limb crossing the seriously dangerous roads. The hotel has a roof terrace (which apparantly houses a bar in the summer) and you can clearly see the Pyramids from there (I will try to add photos so you can gauge the distance for yourself). I would say that it took approx 15 minutes to reach the Pyramids by taxi, 25 minutes to reach Cairo centre, and approx 40 minutes to get to Cairo airport - these times all with average traffic. The hotel has a taxi desk inside the lobby, but beware as these cabs are extortionate compared to one of the local taxis which base themselves outside the hotel. The hotel taxi service tried to charge E£70 (approx GBP7) to get the Pyramids, while the local black and white cabs charged about E£30! You can haggle both, but the black and white cabs will always win. Of course, you might not always get the most beautiful local cab, but then its all part of the magic of Egypt. We used a posher "limo" cab (not a limo, but they have seatbelts in the back and air con - whereas the black and white cabs have no rear seatbelts and no air con) to get from the airport, and much preferred the black and white ones. Just make sure you haggle whichever cab you use, as they will always initially quote approx double the actual fare they are looking for. There is a chap who drives a cab which is based outside of the hotel who's name is Ali "Schumacher" (so he told us, lol). He spoke very good english, was very polite, knew all of the best places to go, and charged very reasonable rates. We used him throughout our trip, including renting his car for a full day to see the "other" pyramids and it cost us E£200 (approx GBP20)!
In summary, this hotel is a whole load better than I expected. It is probably the equivalent of UK 3*, but for Egypt - and for the price we paid - it isnt bad at all. We had no problems with mosquitos (although it was winter), and we thought that the hotel complex itself was probably UK 4*, if not bordering on UK 5*.
The service was excellent, and the food was good. The location is ideal when you think how cheap the taxis are, and I would certainly stay at this hotel again if we visit Cairo in the future.
I hope this blog helped your decision making process, and I will try to add some photos now.
Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — The complex as a whole
  • Disliked — The bathroom was dated
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ianuxb
London
Reviewed January 2, 2009

The reality is that this hotel is situated in a poor run-down part of Giza on the edge of farm land. This does mean that you will get mosquitoes and other bugs(There's a good reason why each room has a bug spray). However you can watch the farmers using the traditional methods of flooding the fields with waste water and casting the seed by hand. You cannot walk outside the hotel at all - it is dirty, the roads unfinished and it's somewhat risky. You are a long way from Cairo city but fairly close to the Pyramids(Must get a taxi). The hotel staff have differing views about service - from attentive to ignoring you totally(Front desk). Do not rely on the hotel "limo" service to get you to the airport, they do tend to "forget" about their bookings. Yes the rooms are dirty in places (bathroom), this seems to be long-engrimed dirt and rusty pipes/plugs etc. The cleaners do remove the surface dust but the rooms do need a "deep clean". The pool area is very clean and of high standard. If you enjoy variety and good food you may wish to take a taxi elsewhere.

• Liked — Photogenic grounds
  • Disliked — The lack of service and the environment
  • Stayed December 2008