“The hotel is falling apart”

Gawharet Al Ahram Hotel
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Giza
Chicago, Illinois
“The hotel is falling apart”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three nights on two different occasions while traveling throughout Egypt. The first night was in a double room. The second and third night were in a single room. I had to relocate to another room because the sink in the first room literally fell apart. The bowl of the sink almost fell through to my toes as it separated from the counter. Thankfully there were two bent metal rods that had held it up - although they would appear to collapse on a moments notice. When I left for planned tours I had let the front desk know. They informed me I would have to be in the room for them to fix it (not sure why). I figured I had another night and would just make due with the sink. Provided it didn't fall to the ground it was usable. When I returned, I was locked out of my room and inquired at the front desk what was wrong. They had said housekeeping noticed the sink and that I would have to switch rooms. I felt like they were measuring me up - as if they were trying to determine if I did the damage. I was fine with anotehr room but wanted a room with a single bed. They did accommodate and found me a like room on the same floor. Had the sink broken on my toes I would have been in serious pain looking for a hospital in Africa. Thankfully that did not happen. The hotel staff is nice and for the most part, the rooms are clean. I gave the hotel a 3 star review because I paid $26 for the room after taxes in March '13. The low cost, friendly staff, flexible arrangements (they let me check out late at 2pm) and comfortable sleeping conditions kept me from giving this hotel a 1 or 2 star review.

Room Tip: If you are traveling alone or with a spouse, be sure to ask for a room with a single bed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank freekboy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Arabic first
Haemeenlinna, Finland
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Also known as a Husa Pyramids hotel.
There is a mosque next to hotel so be ready to wake up at 05 am...
Don´t use the hotels own carservice, they will rob you. Guy has "friends that look after you and takes care of you", but they are all the same. They fooled us once by transforming the egyptian pounds to U.S dollars (a trip from the airport to our hotel should be around 30 pounds but when we got to the hotel the price was in dollars... We didn´t need his service after that) Use regular taxies, just negotiate the price before. From the hotel to the airport it should be around 50-70 EP.
Taxis are much cheaper anyway, 20-25 Egyptian pounds you´ll get almost anywhere in Cairo. Drivers don´t speak much english but print some photos from places you want to see and show them to the driver. Also take your hotels businesscard with you.
Non-smoking means that your room smells like an ashtray.

If you are a female, cover your knees and shoulders. The local men are polite but if you are looking for a attention you will get it even if you are decent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annu K
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is ok. Omar is very nice. He took me to see the pyramids after having a bad experience with a tour I booked at the airport. Ask for Omar. The restaurant at the top has a nice view, but food is not that great

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Pablou50
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We booked for the Husa Pyramids hotel. They did sent us several advertising e-mails ahead of our stay, but forgot to mention that hey had changed the name. It took our taxi driver long to find it. Most of the staff obviously tried to do a good job. We arrived before check-in time and they could find us a room within 20 minutes The room was okay but nothing special, cleaning service was quite late during the day. At 4pm the room still needed a make-up.
The terrace with the view was also quite windy and you needed to look besides the mosque that is just next to the hotel. The mujadheen is not really disturbing in the morning when you are used to it. The hotel is still 1,5 km from the pyramids and the area has not much to offer. The restaurants in the hotel were on low service: only one open and half of the menu was not on offer. So as vegatarians it was pizza or pasta.
The pool area is also not so attractive as it is used as smoking area as well. Overall not so recommendable, but closeby to the piramids so also easy for getting out of the city during the week.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ortwin

Travelers are raving about these Giza hotels

Santa Clara
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our taxi driver had a vey difficult time finding this hotel (the outside name is in Arabic and we only had the English name). Google maps also had the wrong location - we were only able to find it after pulling up a photo of the outside of the building from TripAdvisor.
The lobby was nice and inviting but the rooms left a lot to be desired. Our room was a bit musky and tiny and also looked fairly dirty. The location was pretty good; we did walk back from the pyramids - about a 30-40 minute walk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frozenocean1982
UK
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Like the previous reviewer, we were slightly worried by some of the dodgy reviews of the Husa on TripAdvisor. We were arriving at the airport at midnight and only needed somewhere to rest our heads for a few hours before a trip to the pyramids in the morning.

We were very pleasantly surprised. We were asked if we wanted a quiet room or a room with a view and chose the former. We were shown to room 807 which had obviously been recently refurbished and which was spotlessly clean.

Not an enormous room but space for two large single beds, a table and two chairs, a wardrobe and a dressing table. The bathroom had been refurbished too and was pretty much faultless, except for some remaining masking tape and some tiny splatters of paint from the redecoration. Excellent hairdryer and shower.

The beds were perfectly comfortable and we both had an excellent night's sleep.

The breakfast was probably the best we've had in a budget hotel in Egypt. A large buffet spread with an omelette station and a selection of both Egyptian and Western foods. Decent brewed coffee too.

There's even a small swimming pool which looked perfectly inviting.

If we had paid the rack rate of 95USD the hotel would probably have only merited a three star review, but as we picked it up for only 30USD it deserves full marks for truly excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank FarleyFlavors
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Given the mixed reviews for this hotel on Trip Advisor, we were slightly apprehensive about this hotel and had no reason to be. We did stay in another hotel in downtown Cairo which was more expensive and found that our money went further in this hotel. Now it is still a budget hotel, but my standards for cleanliness were met. Our room was cleaned everyday and the hotel cleaner was very pleasant and friendly throughout our stay. Breakfast was average and unchanging, but was decent and fed us every morning. The distance to the pyramids is great and were happy with our view from our room as well. We booked two day tours with the hotel tour center and although they quoted us prices that seemed expensive, Omar drove us both times and was courteous, friendly, punctual and even attempted to decline the second tip my husband gave him! This surprised us considering most people who offer a service will blatantly ask for a tip! So we insisted that he take it. Overall good stay for a budget hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple