“Mesmerising”

and up
Half-Day Tour of the Pyramids of Giza and Sphinx
Ranked #5 of 89 things to do in Giza
More attraction details
Owner description: At over 240 feet long and 66 feet high, it’s a wonder that this mysterious sculpture was carved from a solid limestone block.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The short walk down to the Sphinx sets the context for the pyramids. It is from here that you you can see antiquity in its entirety: the soul in the face with the bodily strength of a lion for protection and it all begins to make sense when you see it in it's real setting. It is here that I realised the beauty in this sculpture and while thinking about how it was constructed, I could understand why it is a major 'wonder of the world'.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,197)
All reviews
"egypt"
in 267 reviews
"kiss"

Reviewed April 30, 2013

An enormous structure, absolutely amazing- must see attraction. Did not see toilet facilities, we were on a coach trip so perhaps these are available. Plenty of young children trying to sell cheap tack- beware of pick pockets as it is extremely busy.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We hired a local guide with Memphis Tours to visit Memphis and the Giza Plateau. She did a good job at fending off all the hawkers. Then for whatever reason she sat down over by the sound and light show seating and we had to walk over to the Sphinx without her. She may have needed time to do her prayers. So we go over there and the hawkers are down right nasty. It felt like they were filled with an evilness. There must have been about 100 tourists over there trying to take pictures. There must have only been about 6 or so peddlers. I was trying to take a photo of my finger pointing at the top of the Sphinx's nose and this peddler woman grabs my arm and tries to pose me in a certain way as I'm telling her loudly in Egyptian NO THANKS. I had to yank my arm away from her. Then she heads over to my wife that has the camera and she tried grabbing the camera from her with one hand and had a tight grip on her arm with her other hand. So tight of a grip that it left a red mark on my wife's arm. I'm yelling at this woman to let go of my wife's arm. Take note that we are surrounded by tourists and no one jumps in to be of assistance. I almost thought physical action was going to be needed to get this peddler off my wife. The whole experience nearly ruined our time in Egypt.

3  Thank granitepeaker
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Excellent Sound and Light show. The Sphinx comes alive at night and retelling the story of its magnificence.