Safir Hotel Cairo
$107
$49
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspizza huthot buffetfree wificlose to downtownwill stay there againhealth clubhotel location isexecutive roomsteam roomegyptian museumroom serviceexcellent hotelhummusbusiness tripswimming pooldouble bednon smoking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I stayed here as part of a trip through Gate 1 so unfortunately I cant tell you about your bang for the buck and prices. The Safir hotel is in Dokki and and Giza. I stayed in the Dokki location. It is convenient to all main sites via cab. The neighborhood itself is nothing to speak about however. Dokki is not the place you come to see when coming to Egypt. However, down the block is Cilanto (their Starbucks), Pizza Hut, a bank, a supermarket, a good local seafood chain restaurant (the name begins with a C but escapes me), and lastly McDonalds.

The hotel itself has good service but the food is not so great. I ate at the pool bar (bad food and expensive) while the breakfast buffet was ok. Free wifi in their coffee lounge. They have multiple restaurants and piano bars. A very lively and relatively upscale scene. The pool is great. At night they have live local musicians and they have cushions on the floor for people to gather and smoke sheesha and drink their turkish coffee. The rooms are quite nice and there is a gym and a good spa. They seem to frequently have weddings and birthday parties in their main ballroom which is why it is a very lively place.

I recommend staying here but not for the food!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2010

This has got to be one of the best hotels we’ve ever stayed at for the price. Top-notch accommodation in the heart of Cairo conveniently located near the #2 Metro line (Egyptian Museum, Giza Station) and not too far from the Nile. Very friendly and helpful staff all around. The hotel restaurant was a little Spartan and touristy, but the food was fabulous and quite a pleasure to order in through the fast and efficient room service. We had a balcony overlooking the lovely pool area where we ordered dinner one night by the pool. No water problems - always had hot, potable water and great water pressure. The hotel laundry service is fast and affordable. There was always a strong, uninterrupted Wi-Fi connection in the room, but it was not free of charge.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeffMurrell
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Noisy hotel, all rooms located near the left part of the hotel and the fire exit are really noisy as there are some generators/machines/whatever. Once we complained, the recepcionist already knew the problem. So, the question is, why give those rooms to anybody when the hotel is huge?!? It has about 13 floors with 40 rooms each!!
Only had breakfast box one day, as on the previous day we were told by our rep that they would pick us at 5 am and the hotel would give us the picnic box. This never happened and when we asked for the breakfast box on the reception, they only answered that there wasn't any as the kitchen was closed at that time.
Don't know whose fault it was, but this is not the attitude on a 5 star hotel.
Had dinner once, as we were too tired to leave. Food was buffet style, very bad in my oppinion as terribly expensive.
I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ilove2travel79
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 14 nights from 22nd April 2010. We had a room on the 12th floor with superb views of the city. The staff could not have been friendlier with excellent service in the Dining Room. The food was excellent with a varied choice each day. The room was cleaned every day with fresh linen and towels supplied daily. The management of this hotel was first class with service to the customer No.1 priority

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Finmack_10
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I stayed at Safir Hotel Cairo from April 6-9, 2010. Always checking the ranking on Tripadvisor before narrowing down my choices, I was only searching through "Cairo hotels" and was teetering between InterContinental Ramses, Marriot, and a few similar hotels that were going for around $210/night including taxes. Being that my flight arrived at CAI airport at 1:20am, I knew I had to pay for that morning's room just to sleep... so I didn't want to book a hotel that I'd be paying $200+ just for the hours of 3am-noon (before the next day's rate started). Just before giving in, I searched "Giza Hotels" and found this excellent hotel. I booked through Expedia with a $10 off /night coupon and paid a total of $403 for three nights! I only added this intro for those of you who might be in the same situation that I was.

It was 90 Egyptian Pounds from the airport to hotel at 2:30am. When you arrive at Cairo airport, just before the immigration lines there is a money echange booth that sells the Egyptian visa (adhesive stamp). No questions asked... just give them US$15 for each.

Now to the hotel... First, all of Cairo is chaotic and dusty/polluted/littered with debris. Get over that before you arrive - expect different environments every time you visit a new culture. The hotel is qute elegant from the outside and inside, even though it is located down a small, dirty, residential street . Once inside, you walk through the high-celinged lobby past the lounge area with couches and arrive at the 50-ft-wide front desk.

Check-in was easy. There is free wifi in the cafe near the lobby (no purchase necessary). Quick elevators. Rooms are larger than European hotel rooms. Beds were clean and comfortable. In-room safe. Electrical plugs are same as typical 2-pronged European plug. TV has 1 movie channel showing English movies or shows. 3-4 minute walk to a small market for loading up on water bottles and snacks. No credit card accepted in the grocery market or most places in Cairo.

Here's an added bonus to this review:
For those of you who were like me, my girllfriend, and my friend & his wife who had travelled to Cairo from America... we weren't sure about safety for 4 Americans. I have travelled multiple times to each of the 6 inhabitied continents, so I'm no rookie... but I was a little concerned about anti-American sentiment in Egypt. Let me say that we were treated better in Egypt than in most places on Earth, including Italy, Hungary, Korea, Vietnam, Colombia, etc. If you show respect by doing more observing of their culture than publicly commenting on everything that's different than your culture at home, you will be delighted by their hospitality. I actually liked the chaotic city life more than walking around the ancient pyramids. Of course, the pyramids were more awesome in person than you can imagine, so that's saying something.

If you're looking for a guided tour (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), you can bargain for a private, modern van with A/C. The rate we paid was 350 EgLB per day total (less than $70) for 4 of us, but we had to walk to a company near the Egyptian museum and not use the hotel's rates. Our guide for our second (and last) day in Cairo was awwwwesooome! His name is Adel, and he's a 26 yr old native Egyptian who taught himself English at age 22 before going into studying law. He's fluent, he's got a sense of humor, he comments articulately on every relic/structure you see, and he even bargains with rogue vendors for you. Save yourself the ??? and anxiety of finding the right guide by emailing him before you arrive to reserve him. We gave him a $20 American bill as the tip for a 9am-6pm day, as he works solely for tips. We would've given him more, but were flying out that night and were cutting it close on taxi fare to the airport. Adel's contact info is [--]. Happy travels!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple