“Superb Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Giza
Dundee, Scotland
“Superb Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 14 nights from 22nd April 2010. We had a room on the 12th floor with superb views of the city. The staff could not have been friendlier with excellent service in the Dining Room. The food was excellent with a varied choice each day. The room was cleaned every day with fresh linen and towels supplied daily. The management of this hotel was first class with service to the customer No.1 priority

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Finmack_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I stayed at Safir Hotel Cairo from April 6-9, 2010. Always checking the ranking on Tripadvisor before narrowing down my choices, I was only searching through "Cairo hotels" and was teetering between InterContinental Ramses, Marriot, and a few similar hotels that were going for around $210/night including taxes. Being that my flight arrived at CAI airport at 1:20am, I knew I had to pay for that morning's room just to sleep... so I didn't want to book a hotel that I'd be paying $200+ just for the hours of 3am-noon (before the next day's rate started). Just before giving in, I searched "Giza Hotels" and found this excellent hotel. I booked through Expedia with a $10 off /night coupon and paid a total of $403 for three nights! I only added this intro for those of you who might be in the same situation that I was.

It was 90 Egyptian Pounds from the airport to hotel at 2:30am. When you arrive at Cairo airport, just before the immigration lines there is a money echange booth that sells the Egyptian visa (adhesive stamp). No questions asked... just give them US$15 for each.

Now to the hotel... First, all of Cairo is chaotic and dusty/polluted/littered with debris. Get over that before you arrive - expect different environments every time you visit a new culture. The hotel is qute elegant from the outside and inside, even though it is located down a small, dirty, residential street . Once inside, you walk through the high-celinged lobby past the lounge area with couches and arrive at the 50-ft-wide front desk.

Check-in was easy. There is free wifi in the cafe near the lobby (no purchase necessary). Quick elevators. Rooms are larger than European hotel rooms. Beds were clean and comfortable. In-room safe. Electrical plugs are same as typical 2-pronged European plug. TV has 1 movie channel showing English movies or shows. 3-4 minute walk to a small market for loading up on water bottles and snacks. No credit card accepted in the grocery market or most places in Cairo.

Here's an added bonus to this review:
For those of you who were like me, my girllfriend, and my friend & his wife who had travelled to Cairo from America... we weren't sure about safety for 4 Americans. I have travelled multiple times to each of the 6 inhabitied continents, so I'm no rookie... but I was a little concerned about anti-American sentiment in Egypt. Let me say that we were treated better in Egypt than in most places on Earth, including Italy, Hungary, Korea, Vietnam, Colombia, etc. If you show respect by doing more observing of their culture than publicly commenting on everything that's different than your culture at home, you will be delighted by their hospitality. I actually liked the chaotic city life more than walking around the ancient pyramids. Of course, the pyramids were more awesome in person than you can imagine, so that's saying something.

If you're looking for a guided tour (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), you can bargain for a private, modern van with A/C. The rate we paid was 350 EgLB per day total (less than $70) for 4 of us, but we had to walk to a company near the Egyptian museum and not use the hotel's rates. Our guide for our second (and last) day in Cairo was awwwwesooome! His name is Adel, and he's a 26 yr old native Egyptian who taught himself English at age 22 before going into studying law. He's fluent, he's got a sense of humor, he comments articulately on every relic/structure you see, and he even bargains with rogue vendors for you. Save yourself the ??? and anxiety of finding the right guide by emailing him before you arrive to reserve him. We gave him a $20 American bill as the tip for a 9am-6pm day, as he works solely for tips. We would've given him more, but were flying out that night and were cutting it close on taxi fare to the airport. Adel's contact info is [--]. Happy travels!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David B
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

Superb hotel in a really good location, Don't be put off by location as its very close to all areas of Cairo.
Rooms are very comfortable and staff very friendly.
Food was great and Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

This is a great hotel, excellent value for money. Rooms are really nice, clean and comfortable and service is very good. Good location to get to know downtown Cairo. Great food and room service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

We stayed at the Safir Cairo for 5 days with no problems. Although they allocated us a standard room on arrival a quick phone call had us into the deluxe room I had paid for. Our room was spacious and clean, and had a good view from up on the 12th floor. The buffet breakfast was good with a choice of cold or hot food, and the service was excellent.
Although tucked away the hotel is in a very safe area and only 10 mins walk from the Dokki metro station. Best of all was the Mac D's right opposite and a pizza hut a minutes walk away!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

I only stayed here for one night, and that's honestly all that I needed. Check in was easy and painless, but they made their first mistake. They neglect to tell you WHERE your free breakfast is going to be the next morning.

In the room, the bed steals the show. For all its faults, the Safir had one of the most excellent beds that I had the pleasure of sleeping in. That, however, is it. The shower leaked, as in, all over the floor, when I used it. The television only had about 2 channels in English (by comparison, I stayed in a budget hostel in Alexandria for a 5th of the price and got 5 X the channels). I was woken up at 9 AM (after having severe jet-lag and not having slept for 3 days) by the maid staff. They finally stopped knocking when I answered the door, and asked me when I was leaving. If this is the professionalism of a "five-star" hotel, then they need to cross the Nile and look at the Four Seasons for some true inspiration.

Breakfast, when I found it (up on floor 2, I believe) was actually very good, with hot and cold stations and plenty of choices.

DO NOT USE THEIR INTERNET. I literally laughed out loud when they told me how much the internet was there, some ungodly amount of 75 pounds per half hour. Instead, walk about a minute down the street and look for the red neon sign. This is an internet cafe, the teens that run it don't really speak that much english, but they can get by. Best to bring exact cash if you can't handle a language barrier. They charge the (pretty) standard rate of 5 pounds/hour, and it is 1 pound/page if you need to print.

Don't count on Safir's staff to be accommodating. I practically had to beg them to call and confirm that I was cleared with a tour group in downtown Cairo. The (local) call literally took 10 seconds in Arabic and I was on schedule. Also, this was by far the worst checkout at any hotel I have ever stayed at. I was stuck sitting in the lobby for a good 35 minutes before they said that I could go.

I would only ever stay here again for the bed, but there are many other places in Cairo and Dokki that are far better than the Safir and their atrocious staff (they have a problem with things like saying, "I'm sorry, let me fix that [shower, maidservice mishap, breakfast confusion]. Honestly, the HOSTEL that I stayed at for $5 a night before the Safirhad far better hospitality.

Also, if you're new to Cairo, do not stay in Dokki, stay in Central downtown, where you can walk to most destinations. Taxis are a hassle, especially if you have to use one everytime you wish to go back to your hotel, trust me.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Odysseus_10
Byron Bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

We stayed at the Safir for a couple of days awaiting our package tour to start and found this hotel exceptionally well priced and well located. The lobby is particularly glamorous for this priced hotel and the rooms are newly refurbished. We were able to access shopping centers and the museum easily. It was better than staying near the pyramids as the neighbourhood had many great eateries of the non-western and western variety close at hand. The best street falafel in the country (and I think we tried them all) is right around the corner and a beautiful patisserie shop is also nearby. The Safir is located on a quiet leafy street which we found refreshing to return to after a busy day exploring greater Cairo.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Woodrd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Ramses Hilton
Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah
Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence
Pyramisa Suites Hotel Cairo
Kempinski Nile Hotel Cairo

Been to Safir Hotel Cairo? Share your experiences!