“Great hotel and excellent value”
Review of Safir Hotel Cairo

Safir Hotel Cairo
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Giza
Reviewed July 7, 2013

One of Cairo's best hotels. I stayed there twice and was very happy on both.
Excellent service, good breakfast, clean rooms, spacious lobby and great lobby cafe. It's in a quiet residential area, which sure beats all the Nile hotels where the loud noise from the little boats can be heard all night and completely destroys sleep. Also, all rooms have a seating area with chairs or sofa.
tip: Take the hotel address with you and don't bet on taxi drivers' knowledge because most probably they won't be able to find it unless you tell them it's in Massaha suqare near HSBC and McDonald's in Dukki.
I didn't swim but I saw the pool and it's huge and clean.
I highly recommend this hotel as it offers excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool. It's a nicer view. Take the hotel address with you and don't...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DinaWorld

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I went there in may 2013 ,the hotel on average is good.Getting there is tough ,and the taxis they send you with are too expensive ,by a factor of 5 I would say .the lobby tour arrangements are ripoffs though I must say .overall though not too bad .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank aboudi
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The concierge service, room service, and gift shops were very friendly. I admired the services of the staff. The staff members are well mannered. The rooms outlooks the city so beautifully. The pool area is at a strategic part of the building. I visited in December and the weather was nice.

Room Tip: If you need private transportation, let the front desk know.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GBEFALOR
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I didn't expect to find good rooms and very nice service at this hotel.
Upon check in, they could not find my reservation and I didn't have a confirmation number, and the sales rep that made my reservation was not available, so they checked me in and pending my rate till I get them the confirmation. My credit card did not work for some reason, again they accepted w/o card and said they will charge me upon check out.

On the first night, I returned after at 2 am to find my bath having no hot water, they immediately sent someone to fix the problem.

For the main restaurant they have two buffets, one for the salads and the cold cutlets and cold food, and a hot buffet, you chose from both and sit anywhere, this applies for breakfast too

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ehab_Heikal
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised at check-in with complimentary fruit drinks, guava in our case. And they were delicious. We arrived after taking the night train from Luxor and were able to check in early without any issues - unlike the Intercontinental which did not let us check in early. So that was a plus right there for Safir. Room was okay, nothing special, definitely not 5-star if taken by western standards. Wifi only worked in the lobby. We opted for dinner at the buffet since there wasn't much around to each other than McDonald's. The buffet was just okay. It wasn't every expensive so I guess you get what you pay for. The location of Safir is not great. You would need to take a taxi everywhere. But I guess that pretty much goes for any hotel in Cairo since public transportation there sucks or nonexistence. Also haggling with taxi drivers throughout Egypt is a pain in the rear. However, when we asked the front desk about having to go to the airport early the next morning. The staff was able to schedule us a taxi at a fair price. The staff also had ready for us two breakfast boxes. That extra service really made our stay at Safir memorable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VDlong
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The best breakfast we had on this trip, really good!!
Clean and comfortable room. Helpfull staff.
Great oriental restaurant, great lounge bar with live music, alcoholic drinks, beers and wines. Great lobby bar with coffee, snacks, and sandwichs.
Sauna, swimming pool, jacuzzi and massage service.
Wi fi works just at the lobby.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marcela V
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My daughter had been studying in Cairo for almost a year, so a friend and I (American women in our 50's) recently joined her in Cairo for several days. We chose this hotel because it was near her apartment building and also because it received excellent reviews. We weren't disappointed. Excellent, friendly, and helpful staff, nice business center, free Wi-Fi, beautiful spa, and very nice pool with outdoor café, plenty of lounge chairs and several cabanas, and a decent play area for children. Besides the outdoor café (where we ordered an excellent dinner of fish and rice one evening), there's an Asian restaurant, indoor café for a quick sandwich and desserts, and yet another restaurant/club with indoor/outdoor dining & live entertainment where you can get pizzas, etc. into the wee hours. You can purchase wine and other alcoholic beverages at any of the food outlets. They also serve a wonderful full breakfast buffet-style...it's huge with omelets made to order, numerous other hot dishes (including at least two kinds of sausages & French toast) and another table laden with fruit, cheeses, meats, and pastries. Check out the huge slice of honeycomb near the toast...amazing! The desserts in the lobby café are incredible. The sweet and sour chicken in the Asian restaurant was quite good and the spring rolls were quite possibly the BEST I've ever had. The lobby of this hotel is beautiful and has multiple seating areas. There's a piano player in the evening, a full-service travel/tour agent available, and a small bank outlet where you can change money, plus two small gift shops. We stayed two separate times over the course of 12 days, and both times our rooms were very nice with a stocked mini-fridge, complimentary coffee, tea and water, and a new TV. Very clean. The A/C worked great and water pressure was very good. The beds seemed small by American standards; larger than a twin, but smaller than full-size? Definitely not queen-sized. We each had our own bed; two large people would find sharing one bed fairly uncomfortable, I would think. They were very comfortable, however. Elevators were plentiful and we never waited long. At some point during our stay, the staff called our room just to make sure we were satisfied with everything. This hotel is located in Dokki, Giza near the pyramids, the Sphinx, and the Citadel, and it's a short cab ride to the opera and the Nile, where you'll find a plethora of nice restaurants and can cruise up and down the Nile on a felucca (they're so beautiful at night!). You'll always find plenty of taxis waiting outside and most drivers speak English quite well. Taxis are reasonable and have meters (make sure you ask before you get in if your taxi has a meter; if the driver doesn't have one, or says its broken, get another cab). A one-way ride in a taxi to the airport should cost about $25 to $30 U.S. If you find yourself longing for something American, Pizza Hut and McDonalds are just around the corner, or get a cab to Grizzlies' 50's Diner & Mrs. Field's cookies. Also right across the street is a pharmacy and another popular restaurant called Cilantros. One more thing: it's a very short walk (about 3 blocks) to the metro (subway) station. You can ride for one Egyptian pound and it will take you directly to the Giza train station if you're wanting to take the night train to Luxor. It's also easy to reach the Cairo Museum (with it's fabulous display of King Tut's treasures) on the Metro; it drops you about a block away. We rode the metro several times and never had a problem (there are several cars reserved for women, which is nice). I should add that though this hotel is near a major street (where you catch the Metro), it's on a quieter side-street. Our rooms were very quiet, though it is possible to faintly hear the regular Islamic call to prayer, as you will all over Egypt. Seems as though many businessmen from around the world stay here, as well as families. As American women traveling alone, we felt absolutely safe and most welcome here and in this neighborhood. We highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 315...overlooking the pool and right off the elevator, but very quiet. Room 326...at the end of...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mom-bird58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Giza
Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah
#3 of 43 in Giza
Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa
Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence
Kempinski Nile Hotel Cairo

Been to Safir Hotel Cairo? Share your experiences!