“Old rooms and Mosquito Infested”

Movenpick Hotel & Casino Cairo-Media City
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Giza
Singapore, Singapore
“Old rooms and Mosquito Infested”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel definitely requires its star ratings re-checked. Reception staff were less than helpful and were ignorant even when approaching them. Restaurant staff were also complacent, plates were usually not cleared from tables soon enough and hot beverages not served except when requested. However, Concierge and porters were great at greetings upon arrival.

I stayed on 3 different occasions within a 2 week period and had 3 different rooms (Rooms 12006, 12012 & 12112). The larger the room number, the further it is from the Main Reception building. Rooms 12006 & 12112 were non-carpeted, has less bulky furniture, seem cleaner and most importantly fewer mosquitoes.

WARNING: During each occasion, there are at least 10 mosquitoes in each room. I even heard of another room with people killing up to 20 mosquitoes a night.

Location access of the hotel is rather remote with almost zero chances of getting your own taxi. However, you may rely on the hotel's appointed taxi service which charges "tourist-ty" prices.

Despite the bad experiences of the rooms, I applaud the chefs in the hotel's restaurant. Breakfast and Themed Dinner buffets are great.

Room Tip: There are some slightly newer rooms that are not carpet-ed which seem cleaner and brighter. Carpeted...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Christina S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Hotel & Casino Cairo-Media City, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Warm Greetings from Moevenpick Hotel & Casino Cairo Media-City.

I would like to express our greatest appreciation for your honest feed back and we truly regret if we were not able to meet your expectations in any way. Please be sure that each guest’s opinion is very valuable to us and we take all comments very seriously to improve our services in the best way possible. Unfortunately we were not successful in making your stay with us more memorable, and for that we truly apologize. Once again please accept our sincere apologies and all we wish for is for another chance to try to change this experience. Thank you very much for your attention and loyalty to Moevenpick Hotels and please know that it is an honor for us to have such wonderful guests as yourself. We look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future and please be sure that we will take all measures to insure your satisfaction at all times.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Surrey, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed at the hotel from 30th December to the 4th January. We were two ladies on holiday to see the local sites. The hotel was large with great outside swimming pools (too cold for this time of year. ) The room was large and good. The bathroom was more a 3 Star than a 5. The staff were very helpful. The food was great- a large choice of breakfast and if you were in for dinner for £15 you could have a buffet, starter, main and dessert. There is always a chef on and will cook fresh food for you. I am vegetarian and this was no problem for them.

We chose this hotel because of the location- it is about 20-30 min outside of the busy city. But we traveled in daily to visit sites and museaums. We liked coming to a quieter hotel after the city to relax, read and enjoy the sun.

Room Tip: We asked for a non smoking room- over looking the pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Warm Greetings from Moevenpick Hotel & Casino Cairo Media-City.

I would like to express our greatest appreciation for giving us the chance of serving you. Please be sure that each guest’s opinion is very valuable to us and we are delighted to know that we took part of your good memories while staying with us. Thank you very much for your attention and loyalty to Moevenpick Hotels and please know that it is an honor for us to have such wonderful guests as yourself. We look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future and please be sure that we will take all measures to insure your satisfaction at all times.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I booked this hotel for 2 nights.

Staff were excellent - Very helpful and attentitive.

I was shown to my room just a short walk from the reception area. The room was large, very clean, same with the bathroom. The food served in the restaurant was good.

The slightly annoying thing in this hotel was internet. The internet is chargeable - This is quite rare in hotels these days, also the wifi coverage in my room was very poor.

I would recommend this hotel for families with children who would enjoy the pool. The main city of Cairo is just a 30 minute drive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank D C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Me and family stayed for a couple of nights there. Those couple of nights were like paradise. The service was excellent there. An employee named Christina was always calling and checking on us and making us feel comfortable.i really enjoyed the pool and spa area.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Noube
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I booked my Egypt trip with a tour operator. All formalities were completed in quick time and I didn't even had a time to check the itinerary. All I knew was that we are going to see the greatest wonder of the world. We landed at the Cairo airport and en-route to the hotel realised that the we are going away from the city. I saw many landmark hotels in the city. However, outside the city I could not locate any more hotels. I realised my mistake...I should have checked about the hotel. I thought that to save money the tour operator must have opted for a cheap hotel.

The moment we entered the gate of the hotel, my curiosity was short lived. Both me and my wife yelled - OMG!!! It was like an oasis...nicely laid resort and amazing pool...one of the biggest I have seen. Rooms are great, services are good and amazing array of buffet items. We had a memorable time at this property.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Anshuman_Gautam
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Don't make the mistake we did and book this hotel on the previous reviews on here, I think a lot of the better reviews were made by either staff or people with very low expectations. I know the standard of hotels in Egypt are much poorer than the equivalent European hotels as I have stayed in a number of Eygptian hotels before but this was the worst, and almost the worst worldwide.
We stayed for 10 nights after arriving late and had an acceptable meal as we had booked half board, we then went straight to bed and woke next day to find I had 27 mosquito bites and my partner 11, that was the start of 10 days of misery. The breakfast is ok, but the evening meals are terrible unless you are a vegan. The rare offerings of unknown meats were just disgusting, the worst half board fare I have ever seen, we literally lived on bread and soup and water as the wine was so expensive to be believed. This hotel is not a Moevenpick by any stretch of the imagination,
But it has caused us to cancel a stay in the Ibn Battua Movenpick in Dubai next year just in case.
Do not be captivated by the pool pictures as they are very shallow and have hundreds of band aid repairs to the bottom as its made of material not tiles and the freezing water temp makes it to cold to enter, we saw 1person enter and he was out in seconds. The hotel is in the middle of no where there are no shops or anything else apart from the film studios next door, the hotel is mainly used for a stop off for mainly eastern tourists on travel buses for 1 night. I recommend you stay any where else in Cairo/Giza than this hotel, that being said most of the staff were very friendly, but the
Inadaqucies of the management and chefs negated this. Almost forgot £144 for WiFi per day and plenty of the rooms are in constant occupation by locals so you will hear dogs barking and doing what dogs do best!!!

Room Tip: They are all the same just further away from the reception/dining room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tismyk
Christina S, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Hotel & Casino Cairo-Media City, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Warm Greetings from Moevenpick Hotel & Casino Cairo Media-City.

I would like to express our greatest appreciation for your honest feed back and we truly regret if we were not able to meet your expectations in any way. Please be sure that each guest’s opinion is very valuable to us and we take all comments very seriously to improve our services in the best way possible. Furthermore, during your stay with us we tried to do everything possible to try to meet your expectations but still we were not successful, even by offering to provide any type of food varieties that would satisfy your dining experience. I personally tried to contact you on a couple of occassions to make sure that your stay with us was satisfactory and you had mentioned that everything was ok in the room, and that you didn't need anything. The Director of Food and Beverage and Executive chef tried to do anything possible, but unfortunately we were not successful in making your stay more memorable, and for that we truly apologize. Once again please accept our sincere apologies and all we wish for is for another chance to try to change this experience. Thank you very much for your attention and loyalty to Moevenpick Hotels and please know that it is an honor for us to have such wonderful guests as yourself. We look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future and please be sure that we will take all measures to insure your satisfaction at all times.
Amman, Jordan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

In short: this is an average local hotel disguised as a Moevenpick. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere - close to the media city. The staff were aimless. food was average and sometimes awful. I stayed for 2 weeks paying the total sum of almost $4000 and when I once asked for a power adapter they asked for a 50LE deposit - how lame and stupid. The hotel is worn out and dirty - maybe I became a perfectionist after staying in top luxury hotels in the far-east lately. THE WORST thing about this hotel was the bed mattress; I suffered for 2 weeks. It felt like it was made of concrete. I stayed in this hotel only for the fact that I had business at the Smart Village which the Moevenpick is close to. My recommendation is that you find a comfy and super-hotel in downtown Cairo and commute back and forth - although you're going to spend extra time on the way. P.S. this is the first time ever I use the word Yuk in a review!

Room Tip: ask for a room close to the reception or otherwise it's a long way to the reception and main res...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business