2,387 results
All reviews indian restaurant garden wing old palace historic hotel hunting lodge moghul room pyramid view great pyramid alfredo grounds are beautiful main building new wing the executive lounge amazing location memphis tours an oasis felt very safe
Selected filters
Reviewed April 14, 2017

This is probably one of the best hotels we have stayed in. The history of the hotel and the stunning interiors of the original building are certainly worth exploring, it really is like walking back into an elegant history, but with every modern facility. We enjoyed our first meal in the Khan El Khalili a restaurant situated in the original building, which specialises in Egyptian Cuisine. Our host was very helpful guiding us to our choices of dishes:- stuffed artichokes, Koshary, Om Ali - all new flavours to us, and delicious! We also enjoyed the best breakfast we have ever been offered and a meal in the international 139 Terrace Restaurant, where you can dine with a marvellous view of the pyramids!
Our room was a garden room in a contemporary part of the hotel with a view over the spectacular outdoor pool. It was a very spacious and comfortably furnished room and we slept very well.
The staff were very friendly and did everything to make our stay memorable.
We used Memphis Tours for our trip to the Pyramids, Sphinx and Cairo Museum and were lucky to have Ahmed Hameed who was our expert guide for the day and our friend by the end of a fabulous day!

Postscript
Some may be concerned about Egpyt and feeling safe. We never felt uneasy - the Hotel has excellent security. If you are thinking of going to Egypt don't hesitate, the safety of the country's visitors is paramount. We can't wait to go back!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TarekLotfy2, Director of Marketing Communications at Marriott Mena House, Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback and comments on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your generous feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests.

Reviewed April 13, 2017

If you're after a hotel with great views of the Pyramids, in sumptuous surroundings then look no further. However, it feels at times that the hotel relies to heavily on its location, letting standards slip in other areas. I arrived on a Friday night (around midnight) and was checked in fairly promptly. I noticed that an outdoor wedding was still underway (I first thought it was a concert, the music was so loud!) and hoped my room wasn't facing the inner garden where it was being held. Thankfully my room, although was on the ground floor, was on the other side of the building so I didn't hear anything. But on entering the room, I noticed there were a number of mosquitos and large moths flying around. Housekeeping had left the door to the balcony ajar and the lights on which meant a lot of insects in the room. I rang through to reception to ask for a room change but as there were two weddings on that weekend (I was there for one), there were none available. They said they would send someone up to get rid of the problem. 20mins later (and after some serious swatting with my magazine - the walls looking like a war zone) someone smartly dressed arrived. He clearly didn't fancy a swatting job or tackling the huge moths (pretty large I have to say, I thought they were small birds!) so rang through to someone else to come up. 20 mins later, another slightly less well dressed person came up. He decided he didn't want to tackle them either. And he rang for someone else to come. This final person arrived another 10 mins later (clearly a janitor) with a can of Raid. He proceeded to spray so much Raid at the moths (rather than attempting to swat them - he appeared scared of them!) that I began to cough and splutter. Finally with half the can dispensed, the moths incapacitated and removed, he left me the can "in case I find more". It was now almost 2am and I finally managed to get to bed. Although the next morning I still had a few bites on my arms and legs. Not ideal. In fairness, the next night was a lot more comfortable although by this time, I'd made full use of the open bar at the wedding.... In general I found the rooms ok, things looked a bit old and worn but in working order. There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms which is in this day and age, a bit disappointing. Oh and the little things like the toiletries and towels feel like they belong in a 2 star hotel. I made use of the gym (which was ok) and the pool (very nice, although again, had a few flies buzzing round constantly, but this is Egypt so its something I've come to accept). I would urge against booking a room that faces the pyramids because that means at weekends you'll be bombarded by loud music until at least midnight as wedding parties seek to have their celebrations under the pyramids. I also found the breakfast to be below par - very disappointing fare and again, the quality of what was available came from a lower starred hotel. But if the views are all important and you're willing to put up with some average fare then you might still be satisfied with the experience.

Room tip: Try to to avoid a ground floor room
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Knoggers

Reviewed April 12, 2017

I went their for one night to attend a friend's wedding, service is perfect, very clean hotel, hospitality is great & definitely you have to book a Pyramid view room.....WOW

the pool is awesome , also a Pyramid view. couples, family & friends will be a great place to visit. plus its only a few meters away from the Pyramid s entrance.

Room tip: Pyramids View
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
TarekLotfy2, Director of Marketing Communications at Marriott Mena House, Cairo, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2017

Reviewed April 10, 2017

When visiting the pyramids of Giza, the Mena House Hotel is the place to stay. The hotel is at the base of the pyramids and offers some spectacular views. We truly enjoyed our stay; from the moment we arrived we were warmly greeted by the hotel staff who arranged to transfer our luggage to our rooms while we proceed to check-in which was efficient. Our rooms were recently updated and the décor and amenities are what one would expect from a very good hotel.
We ate at three of the restaurants during our stay; all three were very good. The staff at the ALL-DAY DINING ROOM & TERRACE restaurant was fantastic, they really know the meaning of customer service and going the extra mile. The Poolside Italian Restaurant, Alfredo, was also very good with a supportive staff. We enjoyed evening cocktails at the Terrace and Lounge Bars with perfect views of the pyramids. Overall the stay was great!

There are a few suggestions I would give to the hotel; in this day and age of technology you should seriously invest in your infrastructure and upgrade your wifi services. Current wifi services are very poor; as international travelers we expect and rely on these services to stay connected when abroad. The other suggestion would be to update the Indian restaurant as it is dated and the service staff are not as attentive to its customers.

Reviewed April 10, 2017

spacious room but some of the furniture isn't in top shape and generally lacks some charm. The carpet was very faded and didn't look any too clean. Nice sized patio with view of the pyramid(s); that's pretty awesome. Downside on a weekend? incredible loud blasting music that will vibrate you out of your room and goes on until 11:30P or so when an event - like a wedding - is scheduled. If you need some relative quiet opt for a room not facing the view and courtyard. The location is clearly perfect if you want to see the pyramids. You could walk there. It takes about 50 min. or so from the airport in the middle of the night; probably longer if you arrive in the daytime. The traffic is horrific.
I wouldn't call the service impeccable. We had pleasant waiters and some with an attitude. Food selection in the 139 restaurant was mostly geared towards middle eastern taste but anyone can find something palatable to eat (even picky me). You can sit outside if you can tolerate people smoking. Same goes for the hotel lobby where smoking is most annoying. When walking in/out of the hotel you have to go through a security check; usually not much of a big deal.
In the lobby you can see a display case with famous people who have stayed there: Barbara Bush, Nixon, Princess Caroline of Monaco, etc.
if your main interest is the pyramids you're in the right location, however, it's a long way into town and the traffic tends to be awful.

Room tip: #338 but read what I said about the weekend noise level
Date of stay: March 2017