“A good stay again”
Review of Mena House Hotel

Mena House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in Giza
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed again at the hotel in May 2014, rooms and staff just as good as previous stays with everyone being helpfull.
Did feel however that although still good the food had gone down in standards - may have been as the hotel was not full.
Location at the bottom of the Giza pyramids could not be better

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Hotel had great security, clean room & bathroom. Restaurant cafe was amazing at night with a view of the pyramids.

Only negative is that for such a great hotel I would expect free wifi in rooms. Also the breakfast buffet was questionable, the scrambled egg was 90% water. Not a lot of western food options at the start of breakfast for those with an early departure.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 20, 2014

It's a bit of a dicey time in Egypt these days, so I'm pretty sure that our hotel experience might differ from others. But the minute we got to the Giza House, we felt the history and the splendor. We didn't stay long enough to enjoy the grounds or explore to much. However our room was great, and the view was spectacular. We woke up to the see the great pyramids in all their glory!

The included breakfast was served in a beautiful room (I assume this is the original part of the hotel others refer to). The star was very attentive, the food was first rate, and the manager was there to make sure we were happy.

There are very few tourists in Egypt right now, so if you're an adventurous traveler - it's a great time to go. However, if you're a nervous traveler… maybe not a good time. Be aware that there are armed guards, metal detectors & barricades to cross for all the hotels (including this one). We felt safe, and had no issues.

If we go back, we will absolutely stay here again! Waking up with the pyramids in your view is nothing short of spectacular!

Room Tip: Go for a pyramid view room. We were unaware of the "old building vs new building". I'm...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cali_Cake
tareklotfy62, Director of Marketing at Mena House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear Ms. Cali,

Thank you so much for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. Such words of motivation for the entire team will only help us to strive for excellence.

I am delighted to read that you found services all across the hotel exceptional and we were able to look after you with great care. These words coming from a well travelled guest like yourself will definitely help all our team members to give more than their 100%.

We look forward to having you stay with us whenever you travel to Cairo.

Tarek Lotfy

Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I have been fortunate enough to have stayed at the Mena House Hotel on numerous occasions now and every time I have been impressed. The Garden Rooms with pyramid views are the best in my opinion as they have all been recently renovated. The palace section has some fantastic history however the rooms are a little tired now. The location of this hotel is second to none as it's directly opposite the Pyramids of Giza and you can walk to them within five minutes. I have also enjoyed the amazing Indian restaurant at the hotel a number of times and it's renowned in Cairo. I highly recommend this property.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
tareklotfy62, Director of Marketing at Mena House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Phillip,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about Mena House on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read your comments Our endeavor is to ensure that all our guests needs are well looked after and they have a memorable time with us.

I am happy to read that we exceeded most of your expectations and my team joins me in welcoming you back to Mena House Hotel
Tarek Lotfy

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed here because I wanted to stay in the same hotel my grandmother had stayed at many years before (when it was an Oberoi hotel). I booked through an online travel agency and the room rate was for a pyramid view room with internet. On arrival, they said that was a mistake an no internet was included. After I showed them online that the agreement showed complimentary internet, they still were trying t argue with me. Finally, after much discussion, one of the managers relented and said they would deal with the online travel agency to sort out the matter and I would get internet. They asked if we wanted two wifi access, or if we wanted one wi-fi and one cable access since there were two of us, and the wifi access was for only one device. We opted for the latter, and because the cable internet was the only thing available in the room, we never went to the front desk to renew the wi-fi access after the first 24 hours. Good thing too, because they still ended up adding the internet charge to my room for the wi-fi access....something I only found out at check out when we were in a hurry to catch a flight--conveniently preventing us from being able to make our point and speak to the same manager who had "cleared up" the internet situation the first time. So, we payed for it ($25 dollars per day per access!!) and went on our way. I felt this was dishonest.

This is not the hotel it once was. Unless you are booking directly from their website (at inflated prices) you will not be staying in the historic portion of the hotel--which is where you think you will be staying from the pictures. Your room will be further away from the pyramids, and will be a "newer" construction with shoddy electrical access---never have I actually needed to make use of a power converter (in addition to a plug adapter) other than what is already included in my travel devices--there were spikes and valleys in the power so the charging of my camera battery/lap top/etc was inconsistent.
I would not stay here again, and since there are so many options for pyramid view rooms in giza, I would go elsewhere.

Room Tip: You need both an adapter and a power converter if you will be using any electricty while here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SenTravels
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We travel to Mena House in 2012. There were 7 in our group. Travel to Egypt was slow at this time and the staff at the Mena seemed really glad to have us there. We stayed in the older part of the hotel. It felt like we were stepping back in time. The hotel is beautiful and taken care of very well. We stayed in the wing with the larger suites and the balconies face the Pyramids. At night when the light show is going on the Pyramids are lit up and it is a great view from the hotel. We were given a tour of several of the larger suites. Some were where generals had stayed during WW2. The staff is very attentive the food is great. I would love to go back here someday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and great view of the Pyramids. Order a bottle of wine and enjoy the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CaptainKirkT
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The Mena House Hotel at the foot of the Great Pyramids in Cairo is nothing short of spectacular. It perfectly meets the expectations, and wildest imagination of travellers who come to Egypt seeking a luxurious adventure and old colonial charm.

The building is a treasure in itself adorned on the outside with period woodwork from over 100 years ago, and the interior is just stunning with enormous, and intricately ornate chandeliers, wall decor and touches of grandeur in every nook, cranny, and corner.

The service is impeccable, and the staff hold a certain old school Egyptian etiquette which is hard to come across in modern Cairo. And I think you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else in Egypt steeped in so much history, with a list of historical celebrity guests including foreign dignitaries like Winston Churchill, Monty and others.

The location at the foot of the pyramids means you wake up every morning to the only surviving wonder of the world. And not only does it serve as a fantastic location for visitors, but also as an excellent place to escape the city all the while staying in the city for locals.

In short - its a must see, and must stay.

Room Tip: More than half the rooms in the hotel face the the Giza pyramids - make sure you book one of those e...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple