“Too far to the city”

Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Giza
California
“Too far to the city”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

The golf course is beautiful, the rooms are clean, the breakfasts divine. However, the hotel is over 45 minutes from the center of Cairo and their shuttle service is useless as it runs at peculiar times and only twice a day. We had some problems with our coffee maker and had wonderful repair service. However, the sliding glass doors did not hang properly because of poor construction and while the room wasn't cold at night, mosquitoes kept sneaking in and prevented a good sleep. We even stuffed the openings with towels and they still got in. If you like golf this might be the place. If you like convenience to the city it is a nightmare. Practically no one there!

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank bumihills2016

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
bromley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2009

We had a room opening to the pool with no problem getting a sunbed. Rooms were spacious but annoyed with extra payment due for internet connection. Pool was fabulous and the weather was just perfect for our 5 days. Golf was good with the new 9 hole addition having views of the Pyramids and some beautiful holes. Took taxis to the Pyramids (our own organsition and much cheaper) as the hotel is isolated but as Cairo is so noisy and dusty we didn't miss going there except for the once to eat on a large moored boat and visit the Roof Top terrace of the Nile Hotel. The Holiday Place tour company treated us like VIP's and the whole time was perfect.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank teacherbromley
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2009

This is not a 5 star hotel - no flat screen TVs, no bath robes in room, bathroom very 1980's, no free wifi - expect to pay for lots of extras - usage of indoor pool.
If you like 1980's music - then you will be happy here.
The staff are friendly, the breakfast is good, restaurant is average. Smoking indoors in common.
Mixture of business people and coach tours staying at this hotel

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

We loved this hotel. The room was more than we expected. it was large and very well decorated. The hair dryer , toilet, etc , took some getting used to. The staff were all extremely nice and constantly asking how they could help us. The pool was beautiful, but it was too cold, so we did not use it. The food was what you would expect from a hotel, but we ate out of the hotel for most of our trip. The location was a little out of the way, however it was not a problem for our planned itinerary.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Docmp
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton Pyramids for three nights as part of an eleven night holiday in Egypt which was arranged for us by Memphis Tours (who were excellent) . The hotel was one of the best we have ever stayed in. It was everything you would expect from a five star hotel plus more. The food was wonderful and there was so much choice. The spa was amazing. It is a 30 minute drive from Cairo but that felt like no time at all in the clean, air conditioned Memphis Tours mini-bus and it was ideally placed for Giza. None of us play golf but to the inexperienced eye their golf course looked second to none. We would be more than happy to return to this hotel using Memphis Tours as our agents.

• Liked — The luxurious feel of the place
  • Disliked — There was nothing that I didn't like
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank VALEDIreland
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

The hotel is located some distance from Cairo down town but this is a good thing. Cairo and the rest of Eygpt did not live up to what I was told. Everyone was after a tip and the place had some much traffic that even if you stayed down town you couldnt cross the road to get any where. The hotel offers everything. Service was great and the rooms were very big and clean. Try the Thai place in the hotel and shops next to pool and great value,

In generel the hotel made my trip because Cairo did not.

Book internal trips via Eastmar travel. Again very very good service and always free pick from your hotel making it much cheaper for trips.

• Liked — Amount of great bars and foods places
  • Disliked — all great
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank whizzy11
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

I am soon to check out from the nice but poorly run and located Hilton Pyramids hotel. This is my second stay at this remote hotel but only because the company is paying for it so they decide where I stay. Otherwise I would not have chosen to stay here again. I am writing the review because I feel it is necessary to point out numerous issues which I have experienced during both my stays in this hotel (over two months in total). The hotel itself is rather nice with spacious and clean rooms, nice swimming pool and a golf course. What is not so nice is the equally important stuff: food and service! Some of the issues I encountered can perhaps be overlooked for a few days stay but not when each stay is measured in weeks. It seems they really take guests staying for longer term for granted – one would conclude that they think this is secure business so they don't need to try very hard. They are very wrong. Anyway let's start from beginning:

-Airport pickup: My company did the booking on my behalf and I received a written confirmation (email) from the hotel confirming the pickup. Was there anyone there to meet me at the airport when I arrived? No. They were not late. In fact the hotel didn't actually organize a pickup at all. After I rang the hotel from the airport it took them an hour to get a car to pick me up and they never provided an explanation on what happened. But they didn't forget to charge me of course. And guess what? The same thing happened to at least 3 of my colleagues, which I am aware of so far. So this is clearly not an isolated incident. Very unprofessional for a supposedly 5 start hotel! But it gets worse.

-Upon check-in I requested a king size bed, I didn't think it was too much to ask for since I was booked for a whole month stay at least and being around 189 cm tall it does make a lot of difference. Instead I got two single beds due to unavailability. No problem, I thought, since they promised to change the room within a couple of days when a room becomes available. I rang the front desk over the next several days to remind them of this and they kept assuring me that they are keeping an eye on it and will let me know as soon as the king size room becomes available. I didn't call anymore after that, naively thinking that they are indeed going to take care of this. After two weeks have passed I realized I am not getting a room with a king size bed. Especially because I know for a fact that rooms have been available since some of my colleagues who checked in at a later stage got a king size bed. You would think that long term guests would be looked after a bit better in a 5 start hotel and given a priority when such a room becomes available. I didn't call to ask anymore after this because it was clear, especially from prior experience with this hotel, that you just can't win with these guys. Sure, I could have resorted to a tantrum and shouting to get what I want but I don't think that I should have to resort to such measures to get something basic especially given the length of my booking.

-Internet access: oh boy! More than 600 USD per month incl. tax, yet there are frequent outages, sometimes several times per day! Not to mention the speed, which is closer to dial up than broadband. For that sort of money I would expect a 99.999% uptime. To make things worse, when they did a cutover to a new billing/CRM system they lost subscription records so my monthly subscription was wiped two weeks into the subscription period (and yes it happened to many others as well). I had to sign up again but this time I insisted that they don't charge me again, which they obliged, but still they couldn’t pass up the opportunity to “rub it in my nose” when I was paying the bill as if they have somehow done me a favor not to charge me again for what I paid for once already. I forgot to mention that the front desk staff attitude, at least the ones I had the “pleasure” of dealing with, with a few notable exceptions, is remarkably rude, behaving at the very least as if nothing is ever their fault and at worst they make you feel like you have absolutely no grounds for complaints!

-During the aforementioned billing system upgrade they also happened to have "lost" the itemized billing information. So on the new bill, any charges incurred before the migration to the new system were recorded as "balance brought forward" without breaking down the individual charges. Now those of you who work in corporate world and who have to claim expenses, I do not need to explain what a disaster that is, especially when the charges go up to several thousand dollars. Again: not an isolated incident! All of my colleagues, around a dozen in total, were also affected. It was only possible to get the "correct" billing information if you were willing to stand your ground and spend almost an hour arguing and waiting to get the proper bill details. Up to this date my bills are still not quite right, even with the new system, in a sense that I finally understand the mess that is my bill, however in case I get audited year down the track I cannot guarantee that I will be able to remember how to explain the detail of, for example, why are there around 8 nights charged to the same date on my bill, and other inconsistencies. This billing issue really finally did it for me. Itemized bill is a basic right of every hotel guest and is also a most basic capability that even a 2 star hotel could produce without any problems. This issue alone is so serious that if I were a Hilton brand responsible I would take away the operating license from this hotel. If you think I am exaggerating perhaps you never had to make expense claims or required a receipt e.g. for audit or tax purposes. I agree that if you're an ordinary tourist this perhaps may not be such an issue. The attitude of some of the front desk staff during this whole drama produced some of the following gems: "Why do you need an itemized receipt? Your company should trust you when making expense claims". At that point I am not sure what stopped me from physically assaulting the receptionist. We are talking hundreds or even thousands of dollars here which may have to come out of my own pocket if the bill isn't right.

-Housekeeping: I don't even know where to start but this in itself is a circus. Faded and worn out clothes after the Hilton laundry treatment, irresponsive service, you request one thing they bring another (without fail). People cleaning the room, however, deserve credit because they did a good job.

-Food: overall dismal! Inconsistent, overpriced, questionable quality and freshness. Breakfast plentiful but unappetizing. The only saving grace is the snack bar restaurant near the swimming pool which has reasonable service and food is not too bad, even though short on variety.

-Most of my other colleagues have experienced similar issues, in addition, being placed in smoking rooms even though non-smoking rooms were requested well in advance.

Overall this may be a fine looking hotel on the surface and you may never experience any of the systemic issues I mentioned here if you are a tourist staying in for a short period (e.g. less than a week) and if you're lucky. However given that several other people that I know of were affected by the same recurring problems, some of which are very serious, there are grounds to avoid this place if you can unless you get a very, very cheap deal. But keep in mind, cheap can very often turn into nasty and expensive in the end. You've been warned.

• Liked — Spacious rooms.
  • Disliked — Food and service.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business