“Great view of the pyramids”

Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Giza
London, United Kingdom
“Great view of the pyramids”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is an excellent base for visiting the Giza Pyramids. It is situated on a very busy and noisy road but the noise is greatly reduced once you are inside the hotel. I stayed in February 2013.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful. Check in was done quickly and efficiently and the bags were bought to the room. The staff on the tour desk were also helpful. They were able to provide a very knowledgeable driver for a very reasonable price who suggested many places to visit which may otherwise have been be missed.

The room itself could have been a little cleaner but I have no real complaints. I had a garden view room on the first floor and the only thing it was missing was a balcony (I had one of the few rooms without a balcony/terrace). The fruit platter was a nice touch.

The hotel provides an excellent buffet breakfast with a variety of hot and cold foods. The dinner buffet also has a good selection although if you are vegetarian you may struggle to find a main course.

The outside space is very well kept with people constantly maintaining the garden and pool area. As I was there in February I did not use the pool, however I did see some brave people swimming. The rooftop terrace was not in use at that time of year but I did venture up there for the view of the pyramids.

The wi-fi in the hotel was good enough to run Skype on my i-phone at quiet times. The more people using it the slower the speed. There as a computer in the lobby but it was incredibly slow and almost constantly in use. There was no printer attached making it difficult to print of documents such as flight boarding passes.

Overall this hotel is ideal for a short break. It is well placed for a visiting the Pyramids as well as Cairo City.

Room Tip: Garden view is much quieter than Pyramid view due to the road noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Jane B
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We would like to thank you for your recent visit to Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

I am delighted to read that the accommodations and service were up to your expectations, as complete satisfaction is our goal, hence our non-stop attempts to develop and improve the quality of service remains our main objective to deliver the best service our guests deserve.

Together with my team, we would much appreciate to welcoming you as a regular guest and we are looking forward for your next visit.

We wish you all the best

Sincerely yours

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you want to stay one or two days close to the pyramids, this is a good hotel for you.
The room was good, the staff was friendly, however, the breakfast was very disappointing (worse coffee ever), the cleaning of the room wasn't done properly and the swimming pool isn't as big as shown in the pictures.
Also, for the first time in hotel, the cleaning came to wake us up, at 9 am, in the day of the check out. When we complained with the person that woke us up, he mentioned that the don't disturb should have been on the door, however there was no where to be found and that is a very lame excuse. Specially in the day of the check out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lilia_Ramos85
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments on trip advisor. Seemingly we were unable to meet with your expectation this time. Rest assure we are taking all steps to improve the quality of service.

Hopefully you give us another chance to better serve you in the future and restore your regard to our hotel.

Meantime, we wish you all the best

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Having once trusted the Mercure chain of hotels I can tell you I will never stay at another one of their hotels. The service was ok but that's as good as it got. The food quality was well below standard - not fresh and one need question why ice was placed around the food and why the food was not placed on refrigerated shelves. The rooms were dark, tired and smelt of smoke. I would def spend more money and chose a more expensive hotel if I was ever to return to Giza. I am not one to complain about such things however I don't want other travellers to be shocked after booking this hotel. If I worked in management for Mercure I would be cutting this hotel loose.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Nrmel
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Nrmel,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comment on Trip Advisor.

Apparently we were unable to meet with your expectation this time although we are glad to read that the service was fine. In our day to day operation we are keen to upkeep the Mercure standards that our guests are expecting from us amid upnormal situation and challenges the tourism sector encounters for not a short period.

We are quite certain that within your next visit, you will be able to recognize a progression and improvement in the hotel facilities and overall services. This is our role, our goal is to always develope to always meet and even go beyond expectations.

Therefore we thank you for your contructive comments once again and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

If you want to discuss more about your stay, please don't hesitate to contact me at h1789-fo@accor.com

All the best in your personal and business endeavours.

Ahmed Sherief
Front Office Manager
Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Giza hotels

Milford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The location of this Hotel was not bad at all, with stunning views of the pyramids. Me and my partner went on multiple excursions and with the hotels location, it meant that they were never too far away. The only thing that caused the time to get to the trips to increase, was the traffic.

We were slightly disappointed as when we went, in March, the roof terrace restaurant/bar was being renovated and was therefore off limits. We went up there at night and enjoyed the views of the pyramids being light up, but just a shame we were not able to eat or drink looking at them (as it is now August, I would expect and hope that the work has been completed and this area is now up and running).

The room was fine, no issues with size or items within it. I would say that it does need updating, but felt that it certainly didn't put a downer on the holiday.

One word of warning - be prepared for hagglers and people trying to sell you things. Got quite touchy and forced things onto me at one point whilst visiting the pyramids, changed my tone of voice and they got the message.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from a road, they love their horns and this WILL disturb your sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luke S
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Luke S,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. We are really pleased that your past stay in March in Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx hotel was an enjoyable one.

The Roof restaurant is a seasonal outlet since it's an outdoor restaurant so we open it only on summer season from April till October, before and after that time, weather is sometimes cold and windy which is not approporiate for service, therefore we start our preparation for the restaurant as of March of each year.

We are happy that the spectacular view of the pyramids met with your admiration, that is indeed one of the distinguished traits of the Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx Hotel, the VIEW.

We look forward for your next visit and hopefully this time to be in summer so you may enjoy the Pyramids view.

All the best in your personal and business endeavours.

Yours at service

Ahmed Sherief
Front Office Manager
Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx Hotel
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel is situated very close to the pyramids. They have a lovely garden and when the sun sets, the view is amazing! You get a great balcony (Or a terrace if you are on the ground floor) and the rooms are spacious. I was there while some unrest in the streets but it was calm and seemed more joyful than anything. I had the pleasure to meet the manager and his family and they were all great people to chat with.

The staff is great and always there to please you. Great place!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with garden view so there will be less noise from the traffic.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abdelrahman E
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this review, July 31, 2013

We wish you all the best in your businesss and personal endeavours.
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

All the staff of the hotel are very good and the management also are very friendly and as a travel agent I would recommend mercure sphinx hotel to all my future clients it was a good stay and enjoyed my time at the hotel

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Mazen030779
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
It is always a thrill to get a feedback, particularly when it is positive as your experience was.

We strive everyday to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay and marvelous time at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx hotel.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with everyone. It really means a lot to us and our team members.

If you have a chance, please ask for myself or the manager on duty the next time you visit us so we may thank you personally.

Thank you again for your kind comments and patronage. We look forward to serving you again soon.

West Orange, NJ
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I had my wedding at this hotel in June. Firstly the wedding planner team of Mr Emad Lamey and others were great. He sat with us explained the process thoroughly, gave us a chance to choose decor, menu options, program. There was also the option to add menu items for an extra fee, like an extra turkey. They are a great team and help with all the decisions. The wedding package itself is quite affordable in comparison to similar hotels.

The day of the wedding everything went great, and on time. The ballroom was spacious, I believe around 10 tables. We had chosen the "domyaty zaffa" they were well experienced. The food portions were great with a large buffet, with different varieties including chicken, meat, salad, etc.. For entertainment we had chosen the whirling dervishes, and the classic arabic/egptian music both of which were great and the guests enjoyed. The whirling dervishes (tanoora in arabic) were especially amazing with lights and smiles.
The photographer was great too, though if he takes more than I believe 70 photos you pay extra not included in the wedding package. The dvd of the wedding is an older format that needs to be converted to Windows 7, and if you want a cd of the photos you also pay extra.

We spent 2 nights there, the first room we were given was smaller with a really poor view of concrete. Actually the wedding suites are all actually business suites, and unfortunately don NOT have a view of the pyramids. So definately if you are considering your wedding there, make sure to visit the rooms first, choose a larger one, and perhaps hire someone to decorate it with flowers or something, which is what ended up happening for us. We requested to change the room, at first they said there was none, but eventually a larger suite was available and we decorated it ourselves. This is one thing in the whole wedding which was disappointing to be honest.

Other family members had standard rooms with views, and they had no complaints. Actually one member forgot his camera in the room and the lost and found kept it for 2 weeks till we got back and picked it up.

The hotel in general is spacious, nicely designed, a large pool. the restaurant has a fairly decent buffet, the service is cordial and nice. I think my favorite is this cozy cafe on the roof above the pool, that has a view of the pyramids and you cna watch the sound and light show.

Unfortunately there wasnt a lot of time to visit any of the scenes in the area.

I definately recommend this hotel for any events, venues, conferences, etc. and thank everyone who made my wedding go so nicely!!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a view of the pyramids so make sure to request that, also, if you want a room jus...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hzma
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx Hotel. It is a pleasure to know you have enjoyed your stay with us; and you are satisfied with our hotel wedding services and buffet varieties.

We hope you will choose our hotel to spend your first anniversary in.

I will make sure that the hotel staff and particularly banquet team are aware of your complimentaries.

We wish you all the best in your personal and business endeavors.