“Great price, Great place”

Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Giza
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel is honestly a goldmine for what you pay to stay there (I paid $65 USD per day). It is as eye-pleasing a hotel as any in the area and the rooms are definitely more beautiful then what you would expect for the price. I was there for four nights and my only complaint was that the rooftop restaurant and pool was closed but that was due to reparations which is a plus for future guests. That still didn't stop me from sneaking up to the rooftop restaurant and taking some very scenic morning pictures of the pyramids. The breakfast buffet is worth booking since they have a good assortment of options available. I had pancakes, ham, an omelette, french bread, and potatoes pretty much everyday- I called it my Egyptian breakfast of Champions, lol.

The front staff does try their best to help as their internet in the lobby computer for guest use was down and when I asked about it, they were on it asap. I went upstairs for a nap and when I came back they were still working on it so the internet was up and running when I came back from dinner. If you're not with a tour group, I recommend using their taxi service for pick-up/drop-off from the airport as it will be cheaper than what any airport taxi driver will attempt to swindle you for. Also, they have very reasonable rates ($45USD-$65USD) to rent drivers for 6-8 hour days and the drivers (especially Farooq, if you can get him-DO!) make it safer for you with recommendations that are always in good will.

Honestly, as an American used to 5-Star service meaning 5-STAR SERVICE, I was not disappointed at all. If you're in Cairo/Giza for a few days you really shouldn't be spending the majority of your time in the hotel anyways since there is enough to do to keep you busy. When your day is over, this is a great place to come back to and there are many neighborhood restaurants and hotel restaurants in walking distance that can satisfy any of your preferred dinner moods. Also, the souvenir store in the lobby has more than reasonable prices and the owner there is willing to negotiate so play the "ummm, i dont know" game until the price is lowered to your liking which wont take too long, lol.

Enjoy your stay here but beware, the moment you step outside of this place (or any in the area) you will be victim to many luring Touts that want to try and steer you to their "brother's" or "self-owned" store to buy souvenirs. Stick to the hotel taxis to be safe!

*Stayed at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx in mid-January, 2013.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are quiet and comfortable and great pyramid view is only steps away to the corrido...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank J_the_Great
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx Hotel. Your positive comment means a lot to us, we are really delighted to hear that the room, restaurants and service were up to your expectations.

We hope you travel to Cairo soon and be sure to let us know when you're coming so we can reserve your favorite room for you.

We are committed to continue developing and improving our services to always meet with our growing guests expectation. I will share your comments with the hotel team that for sure will motivate them to boost the quality of service.

We wish all the best in your personal and business endeavours.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We chose to stay here over the Hilton as we wanted to stay close to the Pyramids of Giza and stay in a suite. The staff were kind and friendly and took great care of us. Loved the heated pool, and overall, the staff provided excellent customer service and were happy to help. By way of apology for not cleaning the room one day and a few other little shortfalls, we were kindly offered a discount on the New Year's Eve meal, which we accepted and enjoyed. Thanks for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Aisha W

Thank you for your nice comments, it was a pleasure serving you.

I am delighted to read that the accommodations and service were up to your expectations, as complete satisfaction is our goal.

Together with my team, we would much appreciate to welcoming you as a regular guest and we are looking forward for your next visit.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had a great stay at Le Sphinx. Very easy to get to the sites of Giza and Saqqarra / Dahshur and few tourists about (so no crowds getting inside the pyramids too). Thanks too to the chief concierge Mr Khattab with advice for exploring the city and tackling the metro service.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank tim_123376

Thank you very much for your wonderful comment. I am so glad that we were able to meet your expectation and your stay was an enjoyable one.

In Mercure we aim to provide the highest quality of service to our guests as they deserve the very best.

I will share your comment with the whole team which certainly will boost and encourage them to always give their utmost efforts that might reward them with such happiness and beautiful words.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

its a great place to stay away from the city and very close to the pyramids. only drawback was the breakfast buffet which served the same food day after day, I mean in the same dish in the same container..whatever was leftover from the previous day just heated and left in exactly the same place. after eating there for 5 day, one can tell, especially the bakes etc,rest waz gud friendly staff, wi fi working,,not noisy,

Room Tip: see the room b4 u move in it could b near the street which is very noisy through the night
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank P K
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your nice comments, it was a pleasure serving you.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Hotels throughout Egypt have been severely underbooked since the Revolution, so they're making up the difference by a combination of cutting back on renovations, lowering rates, and reducing or charging more for certain services. Here, the room wasn't properly cleaned when we got there, but they very apologetically cleaned it when I brought it to their attention. Despite being in need of some renovaiton, the room was cleaner and more well appointed than most hotels we stayed at in Egypt. The bed was very comfortable, and there were nice touches like complementary toiletries and fruit. The gardens are still well maintained and afford a good view of the pyramids. The wireless is okay but only works in the lobby. Breakfast was good, with lots of variety. For the price we paid, it wasn't bad -- and we could walk to the pyramids from there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nakalanzi

Let me thank you for choosing Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx Hotel to spend your recent vacation in.

It was a pleasure serving your throughout your stay. I am so glad that we were able to meet your expectation and your stay was an enjoyable one.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed at this beautful beautiful hotel fom 29/12-02/01/13!!had such a wonderful time..back home i had prebooked my hotelvia my travel agent..but when i got to the airport the tour operator said the hotel was changed!this was quite disconcerting as i did not give anyone permission to do so!1Anyway we arrived at the hotel...and felt worse as the entrance did not look as fancy as the hotel we had previously booked!!BUT when we stepped inside...WOW..what a pleasant surprise!!check in took about 5 mins ..we had to wait a while for a room as we arrived at 8.00am and i think check in is only at 2.00pm!! within half an hour we had a room ready for us..three double beds..and a little lounge and a huge balcony!!!the breakfasts were huge ..lots of variety..and very well prepared..we had excellent views of the pyramids...just across the street from us...very very classy and well maintained...high degree of friendlinessportayed by everyone from a cleaner to the guy at the money exchange!!!highly recommend to anyone anytime!!so glad the tour operator had changed our bookings...as the other hotel was nothing as we saw on the internet..and the location was not good either!!thanx Fancy Tours for a great time ..

Room Tip: u just need a comfortable room to have a short rest...so any room in this hotel would be good!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank EODURBS
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Reviewed January 16, 2013

There are a lot of positive things to say about this hotel and some feedback:
Positives:
1. The experience started off at a very positive note. When I was booking my room from www.accorhotels.com, it gave me technical errors twice, though my credit card got charged 3 times (including the actual booking) already. Even though the bookings were non refundable, but couple of calls to the hotel reservations deptt and the help of Mr. Magdy and Ms. Rania, the issue was resolved in less than 6 hours and that left a very good customer experience to begin with.
2. We reached there and discovered our electronic devices are not compatible with the sockets – again Mr. Magdy to the rescue and he offered his personal socket converter for use for the duration of our stay. Extremely helpful. Special thanks to Mr. Magdy for this.
3. My gold and pearl earring fell off during bath and I dint notice its absence till when I came back in the evening and found it lying in the shower. The housekeeping was very honest and left it where they might have found it. I was extremely impressed with this.
4. The room service was very quick.
5. The hotel offers complimentary fruits, soft drinks and water. Very thoughtful and nice.
6. Morning breakfast is really good and offers lot of variety.
7. The staff was polite and courteous, speak good English and were quick.

Probable Negatives:
1. I could smell the smoke from previous occupants in the room.
2. Considering that Internet is fast becoming available free in the hotel rooms, this hotel's policy of free WiFi only in the lobby needs to be re- worked, though the speed was excellent.

We used day trips for our pyramid trips and Cairo city. More so for the comfort of being around a local, the guide and it also surely made things more interesting. We arranged this through hotel and "Tour Gate" is the company. Me. Sheriff was our guide and he was very nice and informed guy.

Overall great place to stay in, centrally located. Offers airport transfers at USD 42 one way.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank rohss

We would like to thank you for your recent visit to Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

For the internet issue, we are currently negotiating the possibility to offer this service in guestrooms owing to the escalating demand expressed in our precious guests feedback.