“Well appointed”

Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Giza
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Hotels throughout Egypt have been severely underbooked since the Revolution, so they're making up the difference by a combination of cutting back on renovations, lowering rates, and reducing or charging more for certain services. Here, the room wasn't properly cleaned when we got there, but they very apologetically cleaned it when I brought it to their attention. Despite being in need of some renovaiton, the room was cleaner and more well appointed than most hotels we stayed at in Egypt. The bed was very comfortable, and there were nice touches like complementary toiletries and fruit. The gardens are still well maintained and afford a good view of the pyramids. The wireless is okay but only works in the lobby. Breakfast was good, with lots of variety. For the price we paid, it wasn't bad -- and we could walk to the pyramids from there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nakalanzi
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Let me thank you for choosing Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx Hotel to spend your recent vacation in.

It was a pleasure serving your throughout your stay. I am so glad that we were able to meet your expectation and your stay was an enjoyable one.

In Mercure we aim to provide the highest quality of service to our guests as they deserve the very best.

I will share your comment with the whole team which certainly will boost and encourage them to always give their utmost efforts that might reward them with such happiness and beautiful words.

We look forward for your next visit, wishing you all the best.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,565)

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed at this beautful beautiful hotel fom 29/12-02/01/13!!had such a wonderful time..back home i had prebooked my hotelvia my travel agent..but when i got to the airport the tour operator said the hotel was changed!this was quite disconcerting as i did not give anyone permission to do so!1Anyway we arrived at the hotel...and felt worse as the entrance did not look as fancy as the hotel we had previously booked!!BUT when we stepped inside...WOW..what a pleasant surprise!!check in took about 5 mins ..we had to wait a while for a room as we arrived at 8.00am and i think check in is only at 2.00pm!! within half an hour we had a room ready for us..three double beds..and a little lounge and a huge balcony!!!the breakfasts were huge ..lots of variety..and very well prepared..we had excellent views of the pyramids...just across the street from us...very very classy and well maintained...high degree of friendlinessportayed by everyone from a cleaner to the guy at the money exchange!!!highly recommend to anyone anytime!!so glad the tour operator had changed our bookings...as the other hotel was nothing as we saw on the internet..and the location was not good either!!thanx Fancy Tours for a great time ..

Room Tip: u just need a comfortable room to have a short rest...so any room in this hotel would be good!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank EODURBS
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful comment. I am so glad that we were able to meet your expectation and your stay was an enjoyable one.

We look forward for your next visit, wishing you all the best.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

There are a lot of positive things to say about this hotel and some feedback:
Positives:
1. The experience started off at a very positive note. When I was booking my room from www.accorhotels.com, it gave me technical errors twice, though my credit card got charged 3 times (including the actual booking) already. Even though the bookings were non refundable, but couple of calls to the hotel reservations deptt and the help of Mr. Magdy and Ms. Rania, the issue was resolved in less than 6 hours and that left a very good customer experience to begin with.
2. We reached there and discovered our electronic devices are not compatible with the sockets – again Mr. Magdy to the rescue and he offered his personal socket converter for use for the duration of our stay. Extremely helpful. Special thanks to Mr. Magdy for this.
3. My gold and pearl earring fell off during bath and I dint notice its absence till when I came back in the evening and found it lying in the shower. The housekeeping was very honest and left it where they might have found it. I was extremely impressed with this.
4. The room service was very quick.
5. The hotel offers complimentary fruits, soft drinks and water. Very thoughtful and nice.
6. Morning breakfast is really good and offers lot of variety.
7. The staff was polite and courteous, speak good English and were quick.

Probable Negatives:
1. I could smell the smoke from previous occupants in the room.
2. Considering that Internet is fast becoming available free in the hotel rooms, this hotel's policy of free WiFi only in the lobby needs to be re- worked, though the speed was excellent.

We used day trips for our pyramid trips and Cairo city. More so for the comfort of being around a local, the guide and it also surely made things more interesting. We arranged this through hotel and "Tour Gate" is the company. Me. Sheriff was our guide and he was very nice and informed guy.

Overall great place to stay in, centrally located. Offers airport transfers at USD 42 one way.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank rohss
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

We would like to thank you for your recent visit to Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

I am delighted to read that the accommodations and service were up to your expectations, as complete satisfaction is our goal.

For the internet issue, we are currently negotiating the possibility to offer this service in guestrooms owing to the escalating demand expressed in our precious guests feedback.

Together with my team, we would much appreciate to welcoming you as a regular guest and we are looking forward for your next visit.

We wish you all the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hotel was booked for us by g adventures as a 2 night stay for us. Its was in a great location near the pyramids. When you walked outside you could see them from the front doors. The hotel was clean and bright. We had a nice room with 2 queen sized comfortable beds. There was a patio door that led out to a nice balcony.
The bathroom was newer with lots of hot water and great water pressure.

I liked that the hotel had pool tables, I just wish we had the time to play while we were there.

There is not much selection for restaurants inside the hotel. Italian or buffet. I thought both were a bit pricey and lacking in Egyptian food. When I travel to other countries I want to eat the local food. There was no selection of Egyptian food. Leaving the hotel at night during the recent issues was not an option for us.
The Breakfasts were GREAT!! The Buffet was hot fresh and varied in selection. Really enjoyed!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Donna S

We are very happy that Mercue Cairo Le Sphinx hotel and the team members were able to accommodate to your expectations.

Your beautiful words are a motiviation gear to every team member of the hotel and will encourage us to always improve and develop the quality of service we offer to our precious trusting guests.

We exert the effort to understand and identify the diversity of guest needs on daily basis to enable us to provide the best for the best.

We looking forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.

With all our best wishes to you and your family.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Wonderful view of Pyramids from our room. Hotel very clean. Our room had the most comfortable beds EVER and was kept very clean. Food was very good on the whole especially the breakfast. We were there just before Christmas and were surprised to see a Christmas tree in the lobby. Staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We can sleep anywhere so road noise was no problem. Most large cities have some traffic noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret M

We wish you all the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We did not start off well at this hotel, but some if the staff did make it better a few days into the stay. My reservation could not be found, and when it finally was, I was told that I did not have a reservation. The hotel was clearly not full, however, one of the accounting staff came out to help, and then insisted that the mistake was mine when I booked online. I book travel for a living, and as such, know that these things can happen, however, I had been meticulous with this booking, and knew that I had the proper total for my entire stay, and the details, but was still told that "the mistake was yours." At that point, I asked if they had room, and if we could check in as I felt the discussion was leading no where. After some Arabic debate, they decided they would check me in, and I was told that it was a nice quiet room, and I would be very happy. This took over an hour, and then when we arrived at our room, I found that the "nice, quiet room" actually faced the street and the roof overlooking the front entrance. No view, but we didn't expect one. The room was filthy. There were stains on the carpet, hair in the bathrub and sink, no towels, floors were not washed, and the balcony had footprints on it, and since they were barefoot, I would assume from the previous guest who had the misfortune to be there before us.

The staf in the Italian Restaurant were wonderful though!!! They were very kind to my son, and they were very concerned about whether he liked the food, and if they could change it to his taste. A wonderful experience in there....

There were issues with one particuar staff member at the lounge area, but other staff members made up for this man's complete rude and arrogant attitude. I believe that he was a supervisor, however, he was condescending to staff and guests alike, which made me very uncomfortable. I don't like to see people who work hard be micromanaged, as they really were doing the best they could.

As a travel consultant, would I recommend this hotel??? Not at this point. I would however, like to applaud most the of the restaurant staff, as they were great hosts for Egypt!! Desk staff and cleaning staff though, should be a little more concerned about where they are putting their guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Ahmed S, Front Office Manager at Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for your contructive feedback. We deeply regret the incident of your reservation matter, no doubt it could be handled in a professional way which unfortuntely did not happen.

We never encountered such trouble with reservations upon arrival although we thank you once again for taking the trouble to help us better understand your expectations.

I will convey your positive comment to Romeo & Juliet restaurant's team members for the quality of service they were able to provide that certainly will encourage them to develop and do their best.

Please be assured of our constant commitment to win your regard for our hotel and we look forward for your next visit where you may see a progession that would meet with your expecation.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

the location is good , but onsite parking is not included , you have to pay for the parking.
the staff need serious training , specially house keepers and restaurant staff.
some rooms are very small, no place for your loggage, and the rooms are lacking alot of facility for 5 stars hotel.
the price was acceptable and this is the only advantage beside its location.
I emailed to the general hotels manager and the reply was fast and productive.
this hotel needs to be refurnished seriously.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alaa G

Thank you for posting your constructive comments.

Please be assured that we take all the necessary measures to identify means of development and improvement to elevate the quality of service.

We are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our guests deserve the very best, deeming what they expect from Mercure hotel. Therefore an intensive training plan is undergoing for the hotel team to elevate the quality of service provided in order to meet with our guests expectations.

We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again where you would experience and touch the value of progression.

Sincerely yours,