“If There Are Rooms on the Next Floor Up, Take Them”
Review of Horus House Hotel

and 1 more site!
Horus House Hotel
Ranked #58 of 144 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We had stayed 4 nights in the Longchamps hotel on the floor above Horus House Hotel and it was quite a shock to stay our last night in Cairo in something so much worse. I should say however that we were grateful to find a room but at the same price as the Longchamps the place really was poor value for money.

The place is dated, the carpets and furniture worn much like the sheets/blankets/towels and the management has removed the plug from the bath so you have to use the shower head. The hotel was however kept clean and had a modern flat screen TV.

Breakfast was a disaster and really shows the difference between trying and not trying vis-a-vis the longchamps management who take pride in the breakfast they offer to their guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Itsmorning

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I read various negative reviews on this hotel but I rather enjoyed my stay, although it lasted only one night. The room where I slept was very spacious, with comfortable beds, television and air-conditioning, most importantly a clean bathroom and a quiet atmosphere. We were attended very courteously by the staff and the price was acceptable, as it also included breakfast.
There are only two downsides in my opinion: first, the hotel is located on the fourth floor of the building and the elevators are old and small, hence if you are traveling with heavy and bulky suitcases this may be a little inconvenient; secondly, the continental breakfast was ok but far from being satisfactory to the palate.
To sum up, a good option if you are traveling with friends, do not have too many claims and a narrow budget!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank MisSpectre
HorusHotel, Front Office Manager at Horus House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Customer,

let me seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Horus House Hotel.

Your comments are of vital interest in order to improve our performances.

I really hope to see you all next time and to be able to fulfill all your expectation

Sincerely

Maged Makram

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed at Horus House for seven nights in April-May. We were seven persons in our group, different ages. We soon started to call the hotel "our home" . This hotel, inside an apartment building, has an excellent location in Zamalek, green and very quiet for being in Cairo, surrounded by private schools, embassies, good restaurants, clubs and nice shops. Yet it is central, 10 - 20 minutes b taxi from the Egyptian museum and down town Cairo.
The hotel has nice, big and clean rooms, a small terrace and dining-room with good basic meals. The best thing about this hotel is the very helpful staff who would fix almost everything for you if you need, like transfers and transports or high-qulity guiding.
We found Horus House a safe place and the room prices are very good value for your money. Very much recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank FalkenbergAnne
HorusHotel, Manager at Horus House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Customer,

let me seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Horus House Hotel.

Your comments are of vital interest in order to improve our performances.

Sincerely

Maged Makram

Reviewed May 7, 2012

The only real positive to this hotel is the location in the heart of Zamalek. Rooms are dated and worn with exceptionally noisy a/c units - take a good supply of ear plugs. Cleaning the room consists of making the bed and changing the towels. You never see a vacuum cleaner or detergents in the bathroom, in fact cleaning the sink and toilet is a quick wipe with your used towel - witnessed it many times. Breakfast is......how to describe.....it is dull, boring and the same every day. Half stale croissants, rubbery cheese and a few tomatoes is about your lot, oh don't forget the boiled egg and sachets of Nescafé. No cereals or even fresh fruit. Worst breakfast I've ever had and I've had a few bad ones.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to reception are a little better and have stronger Internet signal.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Smokey1966
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Very nice hotel in a fantastic neighborhood in Zamalek neighborhood in Cairo. The room was very nice sized, clean and comfortable, The staff was very accommodating and friendly. I loved the neighborhood! Not too noisy like downtown Cairo but very close to downtown. Plenty of places to eat nearby and an ATM almost next door. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank EGL3
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We were in Cairo for 9 nights sightseeing and were delighted to call this hotel home during our stay. The rooms were clean and well maintained. Showers hot and food and soup they made at dinner at night was wonderful and a satisfying breakfast was included every morning. We left Cairo to head to Luxor feeling as tho we were leaving friends behind. We had arranged for airport transport and a travel guide through the hotel and were glad we had arranged this. Traffic in Cairo is not American tourist friendly!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank pamb459
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I used to live in Cairo and knew that it is quite hard to find a cheap hotel in the neighborhood of Zamalek, where upper-class Egyptians and most foreigners reside. I was specifically looking for a reasonably priced hotel in this area when I returned for a short visit, but besides the Marriott and the Hilton (which were not affordable) there is not much choice in Zamalek.

However, I was quite pleased with the Horus House Hotel. It is still too expensive for what you get, but that is the price you have to pay for staying in the westernized centre of Cairo. The location of Zamalek (island in the Nile) is amazing, you are in the middle of everything and all sights are only a short taxi ride away (depending on the traffic).

The house is one of the old villas you find all over Zamalek, therefor the rooms are almost too huge for the few pieces of furniture they have in it. Regarding cleanliness it was okay. Anywhere else you would expect more for this price, but you have to keep in mind, it is Egypt and have the best location possible, so when I had neither hot water nor a working heating, but hundreds of holes in my blanket instead, I was not surprised. Also the fact that nothing happened after I complained about the lacking hot water did not shock me, I had bigger troubles when I actually had my own flat in Cairo (like three weeks without electricity).

The house itself is quite cute, the street in which it is is lush and green (which is rare in Cairo), has lots of trees and is quiet (for Egyptian standards). There are restaurants, coffeeshops, banks, bookshops, hotels with pools and gyms etc near-by and as I already mentioned: You can easily access everything else by cab.

In the three days I was there, I never made it to the breakfast, but I saw that they are serving food throughout the day and there were always quite a few people sitting in the restaurant - so it cannot be that bad, because there are amazing restaurants within walking-distance but people obviously chose to eat in.

All in all it is definitely not a hotel you book in order to enjoy the hotel, but I was quite satisfied.

The staff was very polite and friendly, no rude comments towards female foreigners (which is not the norm in Egypt).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo