“Home far from home”
Review of Canadian Hostel

Canadian Hostel
Ranked #55 of 130 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Egypt: my best trip ever. I would say that whenever you are far from home, the only place that can remind home would be a cosy, welcoming one with wonderful people. Well if you are looking for that kind of place I would definitely recommend you The Canadian Hostel.

The people:
It was my first time in Egypt and I would say its quite of a huge city and one would be really confused without help. The Canadian Hostel people besides always attentive to our slightest needs, were always keen to help and advice.
Besides, the best thing about them is their smile. They took every single query of ours with a smile and would even share their personal experience and life with us: just like family members.
The best thing about all this is that even today, more that 1 year after the trip to Egypt, the people from the hostel still keep in touch with us and give us updates regularly.

The infrastructure:
The rooms and bathroom were always kept clean. One's privacy was always respected and the common living room one could enjoy people from around the world who always would share what they had done so far in Egypt, where they came from, how to behave with the locals (so that they do not cheat you); a sort of mini global village. The internet connection which was free helped us liaise with our country.

The position in Cairo:
You cannot dream of better place. Found in the heart of Cairo (city center), you are at a walking distance from the underground metro and so many places...even very close to the Egyptian Museum. Food can be found everywhere with KFC just round the corner and one of these Pastry shops with that superb perfume of freshly (hot) made pastries just next to the hostel.

The price:
The price might be an issue to some people. Let me explain: HOW THE HELL CAN YOU GET SUCH A NICE PLACE FOR SUCH A CHEAP PRICE!!!

Tours:
You cannot go to Egypt and not visit the great places throughout the country right?
We wanted to see everything and since we hadn't planned anything or took some kind or tour package from our country, we had to find some way to go everywhere.
The tour organisor of the hostel was just awesome (Mohamed Shawky). He sat with my cousin and I and helped us plan our journey through Egypt to see the best places in the limited time we had.
There always was someone to pick us up wherever we went to (by the wonderful sleeping train) and besides, the tour was so well planned that you could enjoy every single bit of it.
Our luggage was kept safe in the Hostel when we were on our 3-4 days' tour so that we could travel light.

It was my first time in Egypt and The Canadian Hostel as a whole really contributed to a great extent to this dream coming true and beyond expectations :D

If ever I had to go back to EGYPT (If Allah permits) the only place I would go to for accommodation would be THE CANADIAN HOSTEL and I so wanna go back there!!!

The Canadian Hostel: A home far from home

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nawaz-IMRIT

Reviewed March 8, 2012

I came across the canadian hostel as i was planning my trip to cairo. So i decided to book the hostel online as i was having a place to stay in the centre of Cairo. When reaching cairo, i was not disappointed at all. The people there was sooooo helpful and kind. They made me feel comfortable and at home. There was always someone to help me. I met different people from around the world there and it was always cool to talk and share with them. Also the hostel is very clean. Finally the hostel also organised my trip to Abu Simbel Temple through Aswan and Luxor. we had a sleeping train and there was always someone who was at the train stations to pick me and my cousin. it is now 14 months since i left egypt and i am still in touch with the people from the hostel. i will definitely go back there again...

Hope it helped you guys you are trying to find a place to stay so that your adventure in the land of pharaohs may start.

Sina

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I was brought to the Canadian Hostel by an Egyptian friend. The place is very central, and the people running it are kind and helpful. The price is good, it is quiet, and clean. The best part though is the fact you meet so many people from all around the world, and it is easy to make friends!
Definitely a place I'd suggest to other fellow backpackers.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I came across this hostel through a friend in Cairo. I took the opportunity to visit the country shortly after the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak, a time not usually seen as auspicious for tourism. Fair disclosure: I was in the country as a working journalist.

Amid the slump in the tourism industry as a result of the internal conflict, Cairo had gotten a bad rap as a dangerous and lawless place. Even though the revolution was still at odds with the Military government, the dangers were overstated. At the beginning of March 2011, the city was attempting to regain some semblance of normalcy after the clashes which made headlines earlier in January. People were finally walking up and down Talaat Harb street shopping, socializing, and engaging in political discourse at public venues. Friday afternoons in Tahrir Square (20 metres away from the Hostel) were still attended by hundreds of thousands of people, an exciting happening to attend.

The Canadian Hostel was probably the best-located place to base myself throughout my time in Cairo. There are ample watering holes in and around, tamiyya, kebda and koshary places are around the corner, and the metro entrance at Sadat station is right across Talaat Harb. I was able to get accommodations for a reasonable price, and the room was clean, well-appointed and secure.

The best part of the Hostel are the people who work there. Every morning the breakfast and laundry were taken care of by a pair of older Cairene ladies who spoke no english, but were happy to let me practice speaking Arabic with them. As well, the staff (Meedo, Shawky, Abotaleb, Soliman and Ahmed) were well-informed, english-speaking, jovial and incredibly helpful in all aspects of my visit. Whether it was improving my Arabic, learning about different neighbourhoods in Cairo, or figuring out places expats and locals congregated at, the staff at the Canadian Hostel were able to give me a hand. I still count them all as friends whom I'll never forget and continue to stay in contact with.

The views from the balconies isn't much, as most of the windows look out into dusty courtyards surrounded by offices and apartments. With that said, there are only a couple of places to stay around the square at this price point, and the Canadian Hostel's young, vivacious staff are what really make this place stand out above the others.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms on the side of the front desk are similar: two beds, two nightstands. The other si...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Clean, helpful, great location, and reasonable price, these are the standards for any backpacker. The Canadian Hostel and it's staff don't just meet these standards they exceed them. The rooms and bathrooms are exceptionally clean, the staff are very helpful and will give you the best advice for navigating Cairo. The location can't be beat, the museum is a 5 minute walk and the metro is across the street. Not to mention a delicious bakery along with shopping and cafes just outside your door. The prices for the rooms and all your other needs are very reasonable for those traveling on a budget. I highly recommend this hostel to make your stay in Cairo a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: You shouldn't hesitate to book a room at the Canadian Hostel. They have many different styles a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2012

This was a great choice as a hostel for me nearby the Nile, the Egyptian Museum and wonderful coffee bars and even a place to have a nice cold Stella beer. Here is a place that offers clean rooms, a nice breakfast and exceptionally friendly service. I spent my nights chatting with the young and friendly Egyptian staff who were very friendly and helpful!!! I met lots of other travellers and the internet was even pretty fast. Good choice and very economical!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I really recomend the Canadian hostel in Cairo, its a very good place, clean, and the receptionists will always help you at any time with everything specialy Medhat :). Another good thing is that there are many places to eat good food near by, banks, and of course the museum..... And its really safe to walk around...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple