“Relaxed Rooftop”
Review of Dahab Hostel

Dahab Hostel
Ranked #1 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The very basic Dahab Hostel is located in downtown Cairo and offers affordable accommodation in a nice spartan rooftop atmosphere. Rooms and bathrooms were not very convincing, but the nice rooftop helped to relax after a strenuous visit to the streets of Cairo. I would recommended because of the location and the price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AjnaTs

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Cairo can be a very overwhelming place for newcomers, especially those who travel alone, so it's so important to meet great people and stay in a relaxing hostel. Dahab is the place! I have come here for my year abroad without knowing anyone and speaking the wrong dialect of Arabic, but the staff and guests of Dahab have become my friends and the hostel itself a great base to work, eat, relax and chat. If you want to enjoy the company of others while on holiday, there is not a better place.

Details on the facilities: The rooms are simple but perfect. I slept well on the beds despite some street noise, and the fans are all effective. The showers I have found to be clean and the wifi works very well everywhere.

No more on the details, because I just feel that this place is perfect. The staff are welcoming and genuinely care about their guests. And the other guests are the same, treating each other like family. We order food together and eat it on the terrace (with the cats!) most nights and every time I dread the day that I have to move on. Perfect! Thank you, Dahab!

Room Tip: I moved rooms a couple of times because I stayed longer than I had planned, and each one was great...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jim L
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We chose this hostel because it was the cheapest we could findin downtown! It's on the 7th floor and it has a very relaxed, 'outdoor' feel. The only disappointing thing is the shower are very dirty!
The staff are the friendliest people we have met with so much truthful advice!
and if you love cats there are plenty that hang around all day and night

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The hostel's in an old building which located in the local downtown center and just walk distance to Tahir Square, Museum and metro station as well.
The single room's small but OK, and the staff have been helpful with most of the information for local transportation but lack of accomodation info in other cities.
One of the staff likes to be joking often, it's funny.
The rooftop's super great, I bathed in the sunlight and enjoy drinking and chatting.
the negative thing is the shower, it got NO hot water right after couple seconds I started shower.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2012

As usual I did a lot of comparing before booking my Cairo accommodation on Hostelworld.com, and finally decided to go for Dahab Hostel based on previous reviews. And I did not have to regret. Because my plane was scheduled to land after midnight, I arranged the reasonably priced airport pickup prior to arrival - and there my designated driver was, waiting for me with a sign and a warm smile. He took me to the hostel with possibly the oldest Lada I've ever seen and we had a nice conversation throughout the journey. Once at the hostel, checking in to my room went smooth and the guy at the reception was good fun to talk to, so I ended up spending a good while just sitting there talking to him.

My room was very basic, but situated in the rooftop like all their rooms and had a nice view over the city. Plus their free wifi worked everywhere including my room, which is not given even in fancy 4 star hotels. The bed was hard-ish and outdated, but you don't really expect luxury for under 6€ / night for a private room (with shared bathroom), do you? Another great thing was their laundry service: 1LE / 1 piece of clothing with washing, drying and delivery back to your door in a matter of hours. The other guests at the hostel were an awesome bunch of folks and I ended up spending many nice moments with them at the rooftop terrace, exchanging travelling stories while drinking coffee, tea or - later in the evening - beer, which was handy to get from the corner shop downstairs. There were also many take-out options in the neighbourhood, which is always a welcomed commodity for people travelling on a shoestring. If you're in doubt what to have, just ask the reception and they will even order your food for you.

I ended up staying 5 nights instead of the 3 I had booked. I kept on postponing my departure towards Israel because I enjoyed the hostel so much. That's actually quite bizarre considering the fact that I felt uneasy in Cairo - post-revolution Egypt wasn't a very nice experience for a lone female Scandinavian traveller - but the hostel acted as a sanctuary in the middle of the confusing and noisy city where hassle and rip-offs are everyday life. Dahab Hostel was a warmly welcomed contrast to that: all staff members were polite and helpful arranging good deals for you in order to avoid said rip-offs. I booked a minibus trip from the hostel door in Cairo to Taba border via them and paid 120LE, which I consider a bargain as it was completely hassle-free and overall an experience to drive through the deserts at sunrise (the bus leaves Cairo at midnight reaching Taba early in the morning). Even though that night there were 1) a loud whiskey drinking party, 2) indoors chain smoking, 3) a dog getting sick all over the bus and 4) random driving around in order to find gasoline (due to current oil shortage) involved, but that's another kettle of fish!

It is true that the terrace is overcrowded with stray cats, but they are in their own way very intriguing. In 5 days I learned who's the leader, who don't get along with each other and which ones have offspring together: it was like a whole Kingdom of Kitties. I ended up enjoying my breakfast every day together with one of the cats, who adopted me as his human and enjoyed sleeping cuddled up on my lap on any given occasion. Such a cutie. I would go back to Dahab Hostel - if ever in Cairo - just to give him a cuddle and drink tea with other members of the international backpackers' family. Highly recommended hostel experience!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mirkku
DahabHostel, Owner at Dahab Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you very much for your great review!
It is very informative and well written, We are glad to be at your expectations and we are delighted to have guests like you :)

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Great place. Tours are reasonably priced. Rooms go quickly. Make reservations. Very chill hippie place. People outside maybe loud at night but tolerable. Very cool to stay in a room on the roof of the 7th floor. Overlooks Cairo. Millions of cats to play with. Breakfast not great. Staff give helpful advice. Low pressure tour and other touting.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Pnguyen10
Reviewed March 20, 2012

cheap, but, low price its i middle value, I booked pick up from airport, confirmed twice by email, No car no pickup, after coming owners brothers told me b....... t , also prices of trip aroound cairo was higher tnan taxi marn on the street,so after bargaing we have twice cheaper full day 14 hours trip, 200km for 30 dol.rooms are accepteable, good for new painting, the vest at hoytel was a company,planty backpackers planty news about anothers places to see,

Cooker coming dayle at differnt time,so sometims no psibility have breakfast,

great location, close to Ntional museum, Metro, easy to go anywhere.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple