“Central Location”

Ranked #35 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
San Francisco, California
“Central Location”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

The hotel is fine for staying in the middle of Cairo. We had a large family room with a lot of space. It was clean. Location is close to Tahrir Square, although the main road has been walled off for security reasons (riots in the square last year). It is on the top floor of a commercial building which is impossible to find. The hotel owner sends a taxi (for an expensive price) to come pick you up from the airport, otherwise, there is no way you can find the hotel.

Breakfast is very basic.

We stayed at the Grand Pyramids in Giza before coming here, so were spoiled by the buffet breakfast, huge pool, modern rooms.

In comparison, Osiris is lacking. No pool, no outdoor space, no phone or Internet. However, this is in downtown Cairo so location is so much better.

Owner was nice enough. Sold us a day trip to Saquarra with a very good guide. Tried to sell us a desert trip in middle of July - even the guide told us it was way too hot. I was hot enough in Cairo so no way was I going out to the desert.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CamperSF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Shaker Heights, Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a relatively cheap hotel, very near Tahrir Square, but the French couple that own it run a tight ship. The rooms are clean, if Spartan, and well-taken care of. The bed in a double is large and fairly comfortable; the bathroom is clean, though one does have to swab the floor after showering. Breakfast on the balcony each morning is light but tasty, accompanied by a gorgeous view of downtown Cairo. I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Elizabeth C
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I found this place fine, with a young family it was nice to have a large enough room for the kids to play and us to rest.
Breakfast was reasonable and the outside terrace was a great place for a drink after a long day of site seeing.
This hotel gave you a 'true' feeling of Egypt.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah T
Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I went there based on a review by Lonely Planet and here on TA. LP is quite off the mark in my opinion, as are many reviews here.

It's over priced and the owners are just not that friendly. I had a few issues and they came back at me like it was no big deal. Saying I should expect things like this. It's Egypt! Well, that's not the way to deal with customer complaints. My complaints were legitimate and an apology should have been offered, not a rebuttal. Being compassionate is not their style.

My room was very noisy due to the elevator. The top floor patio was swarmed by mozzies and bugs. Breakfast was OK, but not fantastic. The room was small, the furnishings spartan. Hallway noise as well as hearing other guests into the wee hours in the reception area were not good.

For less money, it would be a good value. For what they charge, it's not. Plus, they want you to pay in advance. For your current stay as well as one you would like to make in the future. A very strange policy in the hotel biz, one which they vigorously defended to a few customers while I was there...with reasons that helped them, not the customer.

The general hotel staff were very good. But I think there are better options in Cairo. The area near the hotel is very dirty with trash everywhere. Not a very nice neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank craigt3365
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I recently stayed here for three nights and will gladly warn other travelers of my experiences. I emailed the hotel to book a room in advance of my travels, and was given a rate much higher than advertised on their website. I decided it was probably just outdated website, and agreed to the room rate. The woman instructed me to just bring dollars instead of getting taken advantage of by the exchange rate at the airport. The rate from the osirus just happened to be the worst exchange rate I experienced during my stay in Egypt (another scam) Just before departing on my trip, I was told they were sold out of single rooms, and the only thing they had left was a 5 bedroom suite - I was out of time to book another place, so I agreed. After 24 hours travel time, I arrived exhausted to a filthy part of town,(most of cairo) and a smoke filled hotel. She immediately asked for the room money almost before saying hello which was a bit of a turnoff. I paid for the room, three nights in advance, *cash only* and was given the key to a single bed room. Too tired to argue it out, I just went to sleep. The room was clean enough, but there was a raw sewage smell from the janky plumbing, and no shower curtain - so water flooded the entire bathroom, for which they give you a squeegee for... Breakfast was minimal and served luke warm, but what really burned me is that I was told I was 5 minutes too late for breakfast, but watched as a french family got served after I was told no. ( so much for french/american tension )
I spend my days wandering the city alone, and I get the fact that tourism is down 80% there, but the level of manipulation that takes place really caught me off guard, and dealing with this hotel was no difference that getting hassled by the street hustlers. Bottles of water are charged to the room at four times the price on the street. The constant push of "tours" is understandable from the street hoods, but when I go back to my temporary home to seek solace and rest, it should stop, but doesn't. The hotel is constantly filled with cigarette smoke, and the upper deck viewing area hadn't been cleaned in months as witnessed by the 1/4 inch of brown crud on everything. I attempted to resolve the price difference as there were only two other guests staying there, but was met with a bitter and angry violent woman fighting for her last little dollar - whatever, you got me.... This woman hideous and repulsive, and the hotel is the same. I would never stay here or recommend it to anyone else. Despite starting my adventure with this crappy hotel, I did however have a wonderful time in lovely Egypt - The people in general are warm and friendly, and I felt safe everywhere I traveled from the inner city to rural countryside. The street vendors are incessant to get your money - but my conversations and interactions with those who had nothing to sell - priceless...

Room Tip: there are no good rooms here...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank adamus g
Seongnam
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I trusted Lonely Planet's recommendation and booked a night here. Hotel itself is decent even though a bit overpriced. They definitely benefited by being the "Our Pick" by Lonely Planet. I definitely fell for it. It's clean enough and the location is good too. My only problem was with the slimy owner who kept pushing for us to book every transport, tour options with him. We booked a driver for Giza, Saqqara, and Red pyramids which ended up being a okay. We planned on going to Dahab by bus but the owner kept pressuring us to take a van that he arranged. Three of us finally agreed to share a van with 2 others staying at the hotel splitting the cost. But hours before departure, the 2 others backed out and we didn't want to pay for their portion. (We had already paid our portion to the owner who wouldn't give us back the money when we opted for our original plan by bus). He told us "Pay the driver the other portion if you want" like why the heck would we do that. When it was finally departure time, he told us everything's cool...only after we arrived in Dahab, the driver demanded the rest of the fare from us. We of course didn't pay but it left me angry that the owner tried to rip us off and he probably ripped off the driver too. It just left a sour taste in my mouth after what would've been a great stay. I don't understand all the positive reviews about the owner. The positive review from Lonely Planet is undeserved.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank thelonious22
Baku
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My husband and I went to Cairo in late December 2011. We stayed at the Osiris Hotel which is a short walk from Tahrir Square. The entire time we felt safe. Yes there are protests occasionally occurring Fridays after mid day prayer, but we were there earlier in the week and were able to wander around Tahrir, access the Egyptian museum, etc. with no worries. The hotel was great. Very pleasant, with great views of Cairo (nice to be high up and not hear the traffic). Staff were all friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to stay at Osiris again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple