“All that is wrong with Egyptian tourism”
Review of Lialy Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cairo
Lialy Hostel
Ranked #70 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Christchurch, New Zealand
“All that is wrong with Egyptian tourism”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Yes; it is one of the cheapest rooms in Cairo and yes it is in a very central location. Rooms were clean and the owner was welcoming at first. But then the sales pitch begins. Very pushy of low quality, over priced deals. I paid over the odds for a trip to the pyramids because I was told I would avoid the other touts and see more stuff. My driver was surly and uninterested. Predictably he started looking for his commissions immediately with trips to perfume shops, papyrus shops and crappy restaurants. To be expected I suppose - the worst part were the hours spent waiting in a stables in Giza for horse/camel rides. That done (to be fair, pretty amazing) we were supposed to see the sunset and light show but I was told this would be impossible and we would have to return to Cairo. I took them at their word but after waiting for several hours to see nothing was a little annoyed. As I had paid extra to stay later, once back in Cairo I asked Mustafa at the hostel to refund me the extra money I'd paid for a service he'd been unable to provide. He agreed that I was justified to ask but refused. I found the general atmosphere at the Lialy to be similar to this story; desperate to make the extra buck at the expense of any customer satisfaction. If you are looking for the cheapest night in a good location, fair enough, but be prepared to be unpleasantly hounded for your last cent. Welcome to Egypt!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Thekidlex

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We experienced Egypt history! The protestors under the balcony. But, We never felt insecure do.
The place is well maintain, quiet, clean with space.The staff is helpfull with the respect of going outside to smoke. The simple little breakfast help you to leave early for a visit when you need to. Most of what you need is at walking distance: restaurant, metro, busses and museum included.
The only downside is the never clean main entry downstair and the stair itself who belong to the building owner, not to the hostel. The things is that most of other places we visited in Cairo, 2..3 stars...+ have the same problem or worst.

Room Tip: Quiet sleep
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Road20years
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed in the hostel for 2 days.
Its location on the Talaat Harb square, smack in the center of Cairo can be both a pro and a contra: You're relatively close to everything, but at the same time the area is busy with traffic around the clock.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, and we could use the small kitchen for self-catering.
The breakfast was the same each day, but tasty and good value.

Room Tip: Ask a room located opposite the side of the square
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed August 4, 2010

When i stay here, it seem ok, i like the people who works there, nice atmosphere. The room are clean, the share/bathroom are clean. The breakfast is simple egg/bread and tea but what more you expect for cheap place. If you looking to stay here for few days(and save money) or even long, i recommend you this place, its the center of downtown, Great Restaurant , 15 mins away to museum.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
London
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Lialy is very centrally located, a few minutes walk away from Tahrir Square. It's a decent place to stay, particularly if you can get your own room - clean and tidy, although absolutely no frills. Breakfast is not bad either - falafel, fuul and pita. Probably no one's first choice of place to stay, but nonetheless decent.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed March 9, 2008

The worst. Not clean, I got sick from the breakfast, and Mustafa, the owner is a rip-off artist. Internet prices change, his tours are wildly overpriced, and he did not return all my money when I left 3 days early - I paid 7 days in advance, and he claimed I had paid a higher rate for less nights. So I got less back than I paid.

Avoid this place like the plague, unless you like the plague.

• Stayed November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank seditious3

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Illinios
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Considering that this was a hostel, I wasn’t expecting wonderful accommodations. I most certainly didn’t get them.
I stayed there in May of 2007.
The cleanest thing in the hostel was the bathroom floors, because each guest that showers there is expected to squeegee the water in the direction of the floor drain. Sandpaper is softer than the towel I was given. The manager is as shifty as the touts that hassle you downstairs. We had to book another night with him, at an increased price, to get him to hold our baggage for the day before leaving on the night train to Luxor. If you don’t book any tours through him, he cannot even be bothered to replace your roll of toilet paper, which you have to carry to and from the bathroom with you. The complimentary breakfast was 45 minutes late. The only kind thing that I can say about this establishment is that when the management finally turns your air conditioning on it works great.

• Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank smith171