“one of the best”
Review of Meramees Hostel

Meramees Hostel
Ranked #7 of 131 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Meramees Hostel is one of the best hostels I have stayed in. The staff were extremely friendly and went that extra mile to help me out when I had difficulties with my laptop. I was given advice on where to go not only in Cairo but on the rest of my travels around Egypt. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. I even had the pleasure of spending a morning/afternoon with Ahmed, who showed me around Cairo to give me an insight into the city. I look forward to staying again

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank mark j

Reviewed November 10, 2012

My room was clean (although smelled like some sort of pesticide) and bed was comfortable I had a private bathroom, which was clean save for rust stains on the shower floor and a lone cockroach living into drain. Water pressure in shower not so great, but passable The staff were generally very friendly and helpful. Yes, the building is decrepit and home to a horde of feral cats, but I found that aspect slightly charming. Breakfast is decent, nothing special, but for the price you can't expect much. But, I'm afraid to report there are some shady things going on here.

1) On my second night, around 11:15, a staff member was at my door, jiggling the handle and then knocking. I woke up, scared, and went to the door, and asked who was there. He said he was from reception and "wanted to check that I was in" because he hadn't seen me come in that night. I'm not sure if that was true or not, but either way, trying to open the door at that hour is completely unacceptable and freaked me out.

2) The next morning, I made the mistake of leaving my purse in my locked room while I went downstairs for breakfast. I am pretty confident, seeing that the room was locked, that someone in the staff went into my room with a spare key and took some money from my wallet, as I was 300 L.E. short of what I'd had when I counted my money before bed the previous night, and I was also missing a USD 50 bill....so, in total, about 100 USD was taken. I'm grateful they didn't take more or lift my entire wallet altogether, but long story short: DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES IN YOUR ROOM UNATTENDED AT ANY TIME. Makes me wonder if the the "visit" described above in the night was an attempt for someone to enter my room and take things.

3) If you book a tour to Giza thru them, be forewarned: the driver they hire for you does not have sufficient credentials to actually drive you to the different sites there, which are fairly scattered and can be exhausting to reach by foot in the heat. So, he takes you to a horse and camel stable where surely he's getting a commission and you have to bargain a good price with the Bedouins. I ended up enjoying going by horse, and negotiated a decent price, but I wish I'd known in advance, as I thought the fee for the driver included everything i would need for the day. It would have been much cheaper to take a bus or Metro to Giza and then rent the horse on my own, rather than paying a driver to sit around waiting for me.

4) On my last morning, while waiting for their airport driver (who was 15 mins late, so FYI, insist they get you a driver on time), Sherif, the hotel manager asked me if I would be willing to use my credit card to book something online for him, and he would give me cash. While I wanted to trust this, the proliferation of scams in Egypt made this impossible. Whether it was a scam or not, it's not professional fora staff member to ask a guest to use her credit card. Period.

I wanted to like this place, but unfortunately, my experience makes it difficult. I hope others have a better experience here.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, don't get room 605 right by the mosque minaret
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank Pranaful
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We actually ended up here accidentally when our initial hotel had double booked our room. So at 3am, Mustafa from Meramees came over in a taxi, collected us and our luggage and took us back to the hotel, and got us settled into a large comfortable double room. Premium service for a budget price, "priceless". Meramees is in a great location, easy walking to Antiquities Museum, Metro station, Tahrir Square, and Abou Tarek Restaurant for a great meal of Kushari. Plus a little supermarket just around the corner for those basic supplies, and myriads of little traders with dried fruit, nuts, fresh fruit etc. I would highly recommend this hostel for the budget traveller, best for location, really helpful staff, and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have never stayed in a hostel before, so it was quite a culture shock for me when I first visited this place.

First off, the Meramees Hostel is situated on the 5th floor of a decrepit old building that seems like it was abandoned years ago. As I arrived around 10pm at the foot of the building and not knowing how to use the antique lift, the place gives me the creep. Nevertheless, I climbed the stairs to the 5th floor and sure enough, the Meramees Hostel signboard greeted me, to my relief.

After this initial culture shock, it helps that the staff was warm and friendly and allow me to adjust to Cairo's way of life. Apparently the comments and feedbacks about this hotel is indeed authentic after all. I got a small room, but that is probably due to my budget. The aircon was good and wifi was extremely fast. Being a hostel, they do not do your room. So the room remains just as it were when you left. We have a shared bathroom. There are 2 bathrooms, one big and one small. Both are open in the morning while only the smaller one was open at night.

There is a lounge room where guests can interact or watch TV, play games, read, surf the internet or eat. There are guitars and books. Again, I had to remind myself that this is a hostel and its environment is probably quite different from a hotel. Here, they have mostly young backpackers. I happen to meet a Japanese youth, a Chinese youth and a middle-aged British lady. They all travel alone, just like me.

I notice that the staffs like to view YouTube videos throughout my 2 nights' stay, but they will entertain your every questions and assist you to make delivery orders even at midnight. They even do your laundry at very cheap rates. They also arrange for my tours, at my request, as well as arrange for a taxi to the airport.

I was told that maybe apart from the 5-star hotels, you can expect most budget accommodation to be something like this in Cairo. What set this hostel apart is probably they are friendly and helpful. The British lady, for instance, is a regular in this hostel. She told me that she came here to escape the winter season back home and she has stayed in Meramees Hostel on at least five occasions.

So if you are looking for a cheap stay in Cairo and do not mind the little inconveniences like a little dusty and dirty (like the rest of Cairo), or no room service, then this place is recommended. However if cleanliness is a big issue for you, do yourself a favor and check-in at a 5-star establishment instead.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Arifeign
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Meramees is well located near Midan Talat Harb in a quite road beside.
Rooms are big.and clean, all with parquet and A/C. Shared bathroom with mosquee view from the shower.All rooms are no smoking.
Breakfast it's a little bit poor, 2 sandwiches with butter and jam and cofee or tea. But man, you're paying very little money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniela221
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Meramees is an amazing hostel! I have had an absolutely wonderful time here. The hosts are welcoming, informative, and helpful. The atmosphere is great, breakfast is good, tea and coffee are always available. I felt very cared for. Staying here made my experience in Cairo the best it could be. Thank you Meramees!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 24, 2012

i recommend this hostel for all my friends because it's very good hostel , so close to Tahrir sq., and egyption museum and the staff so funny and helped me a lot , the desert was awesome , thanks to all .

Room Tip: rooms on upstairs awesome and quieter
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends