“Great in Every Way” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 126 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
“Great in Every Way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We actually ended up here accidentally when our initial hotel had double booked our room. So at 3am, Mustafa from Meramees came over in a taxi, collected us and our luggage and took us back to the hotel, and got us settled into a large comfortable double room. Premium service for a budget price, "priceless". Meramees is in a great location, easy walking to Antiquities Museum, Metro station, Tahrir Square, and Abou Tarek Restaurant for a great meal of Kushari. Plus a little supermarket just around the corner for those basic supplies, and myriads of little traders with dried fruit, nuts, fresh fruit etc. I would highly recommend this hostel for the budget traveller, best for location, really helpful staff, and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have never stayed in a hostel before, so it was quite a culture shock for me when I first visited this place.

First off, the Meramees Hostel is situated on the 5th floor of a decrepit old building that seems like it was abandoned years ago. As I arrived around 10pm at the foot of the building and not knowing how to use the antique lift, the place gives me the creep. Nevertheless, I climbed the stairs to the 5th floor and sure enough, the Meramees Hostel signboard greeted me, to my relief.

After this initial culture shock, it helps that the staff was warm and friendly and allow me to adjust to Cairo's way of life. Apparently the comments and feedbacks about this hotel is indeed authentic after all. I got a small room, but that is probably due to my budget. The aircon was good and wifi was extremely fast. Being a hostel, they do not do your room. So the room remains just as it were when you left. We have a shared bathroom. There are 2 bathrooms, one big and one small. Both are open in the morning while only the smaller one was open at night.

There is a lounge room where guests can interact or watch TV, play games, read, surf the internet or eat. There are guitars and books. Again, I had to remind myself that this is a hostel and its environment is probably quite different from a hotel. Here, they have mostly young backpackers. I happen to meet a Japanese youth, a Chinese youth and a middle-aged British lady. They all travel alone, just like me.

I notice that the staffs like to view YouTube videos throughout my 2 nights' stay, but they will entertain your every questions and assist you to make delivery orders even at midnight. They even do your laundry at very cheap rates. They also arrange for my tours, at my request, as well as arrange for a taxi to the airport.

I was told that maybe apart from the 5-star hotels, you can expect most budget accommodation to be something like this in Cairo. What set this hostel apart is probably they are friendly and helpful. The British lady, for instance, is a regular in this hostel. She told me that she came here to escape the winter season back home and she has stayed in Meramees Hostel on at least five occasions.

So if you are looking for a cheap stay in Cairo and do not mind the little inconveniences like a little dusty and dirty (like the rest of Cairo), or no room service, then this place is recommended. However if cleanliness is a big issue for you, do yourself a favor and check-in at a 5-star establishment instead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Arifeign
Milano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Meramees is well located near Midan Talat Harb in a quite road beside.
Rooms are big.and clean, all with parquet and A/C. Shared bathroom with mosquee view from the shower.All rooms are no smoking.
Breakfast it's a little bit poor, 2 sandwiches with butter and jam and cofee or tea. But man, you're paying very little money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Meramees is an amazing hostel! I have had an absolutely wonderful time here. The hosts are welcoming, informative, and helpful. The atmosphere is great, breakfast is good, tea and coffee are always available. I felt very cared for. Staying here made my experience in Cairo the best it could be. Thank you Meramees!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
deutsch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

i recommend this hostel for all my friends because it's very good hostel , so close to Tahrir sq., and egyption museum and the staff so funny and helped me a lot , the desert was awesome , thanks to all .

Room Tip: rooms on upstairs awesome and quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Right from the start of my unplanned Egypt trip I found that I spontaneously chose the right hostel, hostel Meramees, to guide me in the right direction. The first day I spent with the friendly staff, I had a better idea of what my travel possibilities taking into account my budgetary restrictions. I also found the accommodations very clean, the linens unstained, the beds comfortable. The shower water was hot, and the water pressure decent. The tour packages offered were affordable and I was very satisfied. The only hangup was a Faluca trip from Aswan to Luxor that did not pan out exactly as planned, but did not effect the overall experience of the touring trip through Egypt. Thanks a bunch!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

The staff were so nice and helpful, when we arrived the first thing they did was sit us down, give us a cup of tea and tell us all about the sights we could see. They were always on hand to help throughout the trip. The organised trips in the evening were good too.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends