“Very central”
Review of Invitation Hotel

Invitation Hotel
Ranked #105 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed May 19, 2009

It was a friendly hotel and good value, very closed to the metro and the center of the city. My room was very spacious with very good views of Cairo. Breakfast was sort of OK if you are on a diet!
It was a good value hotel and to me it had what I look for in a hotel: great location and very quite rooms, the noise came from the traffic outside and not from the residents. I enjoyed my 10 days there.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank yolandagn

Reviewed February 27, 2009

The Invitation Hotel is excellent value for money for budget travellers. Recognize it for what it is - budget accommodation in the middle of a large city. The rooms are basic but clean, and there is enough public space in the lounge and eating area to relax. Most importantly, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I stayed there with my wife and 4 daughters (age range from 14 to 1) and found that even if the hotel itself was not set up for children, the staff themselves were all child friendly and enjoyed the presence of the children. The location near the Egyptian Museum and Nile River is good for tourist exploring, and the staff willingly helped with arranging guides and drivers.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Celeretfortis
Reviewed December 15, 2008

My room was spacious and brightly decorated. There is internet access in the cheerful lounge area. The staff were wonderful, friendly and helpful. The hotel is centrally located within 5-7 mins walk from the Egyptian Museum which makes it an ideal base for exploring Cairo.

Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank drfeelgood17
Reviewed December 7, 2008

Price is about 23US per night...great deal in my oponion. Excellent Staff!!....Mohammed welcomed me and made me feel right at home with a welcome cup of tea. From the front desk to the taxi drivers they will arrange for you, they treat you like family. I stayed in a room right next to the front desk - spacious room, cable tv, shower had good water pressure, hot water, which lasts long enough, but not too long, maybe about 7-10 minutes, so don't take too long in the shower.
Let Muhammed set up a driver for you for the day to take you to the pyramids, coptic cairo, some of the mosques, the museum, market, and Nile boat cruise. Most of the drivers speak very good English and are very happy to talk and share stories about Egypt, espically Ruby.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank mpc1014
Reviewed October 23, 2008

After reading reviews here and other sites about the Invitation Hotel I deceided to book a room there for my trip to Cairo.I wanted to be close to the Egyptian Museum but wanted a hotel where there would be more local flavor. This hotel had too much local flavor.
First the outward appearance of the building in which the hotel is located is very rough. Once entering the building it doesn't get any better. Very old, outdated and small elevator. Once getting off the elevator on the Fourth floor the reception area was ok and the lady who took care of us was very nice. But like the previous reviewer we were sent two floors up for our room and when we got off the elevator there was a sign that said" Welcome to the X Hotel". I dont remember the name but it wasnt the Invitation Hotel.
They took us to the room and and it was very substandard. BUt the deal breaker was that there was two floor to ceiling windows in the room I thought they were both covered by curtains. One of the windows appeared to be open. when I tried to close it it was actually two sliding type doors with only one pane of glass door to share between them so that when you closed one it opened the other! I told them that this was unacceptable to which they didn't really disagree. We left and went to the Nile Hilton. WHich was nice, but very western and with western prices.

• Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank ohioriver
Reviewed October 19, 2008

After reading many great reviews here at tripadvisor I decided to contact the Invitation hotel and book a room for 2 nights. They were very helpful. Everything seemed fine and off I went to Cairo. That's when the problems began.

I arrived at the Invitation hotel and got my room key. I opened the door to the room and... What a filthy dump!!! I could not believe this was the hotel so many people have been writing great reviews about. And maybe it wasn't...

When returning to the hotel after my first day of sightseeing in Cairo I went to the reception (on the 4th floor) to get my key but was told to go to the 6th floor. Strange... On the 6th floor was the reception for the Arabesque hotel. I was also told that I should pay for the room there. My receipt was from the Arabesque. So I suspect that I have in fact stayed at the Arabesque hotel even though I booked my room directly from the Invitation and payed their rates. The rest of my time there I picked up my key on the 4th floor again, that is in the reception of the Invitation hotel. I also had my breakfast at the Invitation.

My conclusion is that either: 1) The Invitation hotel is a filthy dump to be absolutely avoided, or: 2) The Inviation hotel has started a typical Cairo hotel scam and is to be absolutely avoided.

My room did not look anything like the pictures on the Invitation hotel website. In any case the Invitation hotel was resposible for my booking so they will have to take the blame. The following review can therefore be regarded as being for the Invitation hotel.

Now let's see...

The only positive thing I can think of is that the staff was quite friendly.

On the negative side:

The room was unbelievably filthy, especially the bathroom. It didn't look as if it had been properly cleaned for weeks, or even months! There was no towel. The toiletseat was broken and almost falling off. Everything was falling apart. The shower wasn't working properly, it only produced a slight drizzle of water at best. The bedsheets looked clean, but they didn't feel like they were clean. Maybe it was just the filthy feeling of the room... There was also a fridge in the room but it wasn't turned on and smelled like... a fridge that hasn't been turned on for a looong time. Awful! There was a tv with a satelite receiver in the room but I never tried it. It just didn't seem worth the effort as nothing was plugged in. There was just a bunch of extension cords lying around the floor. Everything needed a good cleaning and was well overdue for a renovation. Housekeeping didn't seem to exist. No one emptied the trash, made the beds or cleaned anything as long as I stayed there.

The location seemed fine on the map but in reality the hotel overlooked one of the busiest motorways in Cairo with cars honking all night long. It didn't exactly help that the window could't be closed properly. It was impossible to get a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was minimal. Two small pieces of bread (one day with sand in it!) and two small packets of cheese/jam. In addition there was on day 1 a small brownish banana that didn't taste good and on day 2 an overcooked egg (the yolk was almost black on the outside and it smelled very much of sulphur! Didn't eat it.).

The elevators were very slow so it was mostly quicker to use the stairs. This would have been fine if the stairs hadn't been used as a waste dump. I had to step over heaps of old garbage and flies every day!

And one more thing: There were ants in the room. Not many but just enough to be annoying.

The best thing about this hotel was leaving. I'm glad I only stayed two nights.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
6  Thank Fibb
Reviewed October 1, 2008

Cairo’s Invitation Hotel is a very good choice for the city, with an enviable location, basic but comfortable rooms and a surprisingly good view. We stayed in room 403, right next to reception, with an ensuite and found it to be perfectly adequate for the three nights we were in Cairo.

First up, by rating of 4/5 does not mean this is a 4* hotel, it means that for the price you pay this is excellent value for money and a good choice for cairo.

The staff who work at the hotel and exceptionally good. In fact, the people at the hotel were the only people my partner and I met during our week in Egypt who weren’t trying to rip us off or coax money out of our wallets!

The beds were hard but fine, and the bathroom was very clean. There was always hot water. The windows in our room opened up completely, giving a great view at sunset towards the Nile and of the freeways. But my absolute favourite feature of the hotel was the completely free WiFi! For a hotel as cheap as this it was a truly remarkable addition. The hotel staff also have a stash of cool drinks (like water and soft drink) which are available at cheaper prices than I could buy on the street (because when the drink sellers see tourists they triple the price and don’t budge).

The only real negative about the hotel was the extremely loud traffic noise in our room. Room 403 faces onto the main street (which is a series of interlocking expressways) and boy, oh boy, is it loud. However, with a good pair of earplugs you can get a good night sleep. One word of warning though – don’t leave your earplugs on the bedside table. I did and when they cleaned the room they must have thrown them away thinking they were rubbish! The other downside is they only provide you with one towel.

• Stayed: September 2008