“Better than Expected!!”

Ranked #50 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Better than Expected!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2010

It was rated 3 stars when we were choosing hotels, but it's definitely worth more than it looks.

Location: Next to a HSBC ATM and a supermarket - which is essential to get cheap water and snacks in Cairo; 5mins walk from an excellent Egyptian restaurant " Abu Alma ElSoury" and some western fastfood shops.

Staff: friendly and helpful. The advice about places to go, taxi fares etc are very genuine. They are always ready to meet your need - our flight to Aswan was very late at night, far passed the checkout time and we had nowhere to go. The receptionist kindly allowed us to stay in a free room FREE OF CHARGE so that we could rest :)

The Hotel: rooms were not as luxury and new as other 5stars, but they are clean and tidy. We felt safe and comfortable staying in this hotel. Free internet access was an ace.

Food: breakfast on Sunday wasn't great, but freshly cooked eggs on other days was appreciable.

Tours: there are pyramids tour and old Cairo tour available at reasonable prices. Tour guides were friendly, spoke fluent English, and to high standard. They were happy to tailor the tours to our needs.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Arabic first
Clarenville, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two nights at the end of a 12 day tour of Egypt. We were very pleased with this hotel. First of all, it is in a great location. We felt very safe walking around the streets on our own and shopping. There are a lot of stores and restaurants in the general area and there's even a supermarket within a 1 minute walk.
The hotel was very clean and the staff was helpful. We found the breakfast buffet to be standard for Egypt (toast, omelets, cereal, tea/coffee) and since we are not picky eaters we were satisfied!
Our room was no frills but very comfortable and we were able to get a very restful nights sleep. What we loved most about this hotel was it's great location! We recommend it to anyone travelling on a budget!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I stayed at the Havana Hotel for one week and chose their Cairo, Luxor, Giza tour package. It was affordable and fun! The hotel is clean and the rooms are spacious and it is in a great location. The hotel staff is amazing! They go out of their way to make sure every guest is happy and comfortable. If you choose one of the tour packages, be sure to request Michael as your driver and Mikel as your tour guide! These two made the trip especially memorable! The only thing I must warn about is the train ride to Luxor...let's just say it is an experience you won't forget : ) *I would definitely stay at this hotel again*

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We had a great night staying at the Havana Hotel. George was very helpful booking us a tour with Shady (our excellent Tour Guide) to visit the Pyramids, Sphinx, Papyrus Museum and Perfume Factory. He also booked our overnight train to Aswan for us. The hotel is in a good location close to shops and nearby is a great Kebab/Shwarma place. The hotel was clean, the rooms a good size with comfortable beds. After being out for a full day sightseeing the hotel was happy for us to use a room to shower and George even escorted us to the overnight train to make sure we were seated and all sorted which was very much appreciated. The breakfast was good. We went for a three hour walk around the surrounding area and felt very safe and saw some great local sights. Wished we had booked another night - we really did enjoy our two days in Cairo!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
New Mexico
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I researched the hotel online and depended heavily on what I read at TripAdvisor. I had been to London and Istanbul, and Cairo was my next stop. I flew in from Istanbul using Turkish Airlines (WOW – great people and great service). Arriving at the Cairo airport was a simple process. As an American I paid $15 (you can use any currency) for a Visa then went through Passport Check-in with no problems.

The Hotel provided a pickup service arranged via e-mail after you book with them. There was a gentleman waiting for me with a Havana Hotel sign in his hand. I went up and identified myself to him, and we were on our way to the hotel. The driving in Cairo compared to other places I’ve been is really wild – be prepared to do some braking on your side of the car. The hotel was not far from the airport, but with traffic, it took a little time.

The hotel staff greeted me at the front desk with a cold orange juice and a smile. My room was waiting for me, so I went up and found a large room with two twin beds, full bathroom with shower, armoire, TV, and minibar refrigerator. Wi-Fi was available in my room (free) and was fast and dependable. Breakfast was also included with the room. There is a large variety offered, and you can eat as much or as little as you like. I used laundry service and had my clothes back washed and pressed within 24-hours at a very minimal cost (3 shirts for 13 EP or about $2 US).

The hotel is not close to downtown, but that may be a plus. A taxi ride to the central downtown area was about 15-20 EP (5.65 EP = $1) one way, and that was probably equivalent to some metro fares in some large cities. There is a metro available, but it does not come to this area. It does go to some other areas worth visiting and is really cheap. I paid 1 EP to go from Central Downtown (Sadat Station) to the Old Cairo area or the Coptic Section. I was told a taxi would cost about 30 EP – so learn the metro and use it if you are on a budget (there are English speaking people who work in the information booths in the metros, so don’t be shy).

The hotel offers tours and so does everyone else. Unfortunately, you cannot hook up with other people who are already on a tour. If you are single and making reservations, the cost can be very high and prohibitive. I did sign up for the Pyramid tour to Giza, Memphis, and Saqqar. It was a bit pricey, but I had my own tour guide and I was chauffeured around in an A/C van. Both guide and driver were very informative and well natured. Best bet is to check around and get the best deal for the side trips you want to make. Many of the recommended sights I found in guidebooks were easily found and taken on my own, and I speak no Arabic. Most people you talk to make an effort to help you get where you need to go when they don’t speak English either. Be careful though because people will try to be friendly with you to try to get you into a shop or to buy a tour package, etc. A favorite come-on is, “My Friend, where are you from?” If you start chatting them up, they won’t go away and may follow or “lead” you for several blocks.

Warning about taxis. Be sure to get advice from hotel staff about what it costs to go where. You basically tell the driver where you want to go, and if he doesn’t drive away, you get in. You don’t talk about price (it is assumed that everyone knows what it costs to get where they need to go). Once you get where you are going, you pay the driver, and out you go. The hotel staff is very knowledgeable about these things and can advise.

The hotel does not want you to bring food and drink from outside to your room. That’s okay; they have a restaurant/bar and it’s unfair to them to have to compete, but I thought that was a little strict. If I had one complaint, that would be it. If you could find beer or wine, it would be nice to keep a bottle or some cans in the refrigerator. In their defense, they do stock with water, soda, candy bars, cookies, chips, etc., and they restock after you use. Two large bottles of water are always in the refrigerator and cost 6 EP ea (each item costs 6 EP) – not a bad deal really. It’s nice to come in after a very hot day of trekking and have a large cold bottle of water waiting for you.

There are ATMs everywhere near the hotel as well as restaurants, coffee houses, etc. Beer and wine are hard to come by, so if you care about those things, be sure to check in with the hotel staff for recommendations. This hotel does serve alcohol. There is a restaurant within walking distance called Cilantros – they have wonderful coffee and sandwiches, pastries, etc. You can sit and listen to some great music while you enjoy a meal or a snack – very friendly (minimally English speaking staff but very helpful – most menus everywhere are also in English with pictures or descriptions, so you can point at your selection(s)). Credit cards are also widely accepted in the bigger stores and restaurants and will have signs posted on doorways.

There is some construction going on with a building next door to the hotel. I had a room facing the construction site, but I never heard any work going on. Room was very quiet for the most part. A/C worked fantastically and cleaning staff did a great job each and every day.

I can’t say enough good things about the staff. Every single one of them has been friendly and kind and helpful, so don’t forget to tip and be generous. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting good value and great care.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank SteveNM
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We stay three nigh transit The room was very clean, simple design, best location to whom looking for peace in Cairo, friendly staff, as most Egyptian habits, breakfast is normal but cool, hotel offered me SIM card free of charge.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
norwich
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Spent an overnight stay at the Havana Hotel, very welcoming staff good location near the Pyramids side of the City, Rooms clean and tidy and good value.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family