“Totally adequate tourist hotel”
Review of Havana Hotel

Havana Hotel
Ranked #46 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Munich
“Totally adequate tourist hotel”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights during the xmas holidays.
We found everything perfectly good at the hotel. We had 2 rooms both of good sizes and nice and clean.
Good breakfast in the morning.
Great help from the reception staff when our taxi to the Sinai that we had booked ourselves in Tahrir Square arrived and wasn't big enough!
We liked the area with good shops, great places to eat nearby and felt very safe.
We would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank stephaniemireille

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Arabic first
Debrecen, Hungary
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Since im a woman and travelled to Egypt all alone, i was a bit worried about everything, but alhamdulillah i found the hotel and it's staff very great and inshAllah If I could travel to Egypt once again, I would definitely choose the Havana Hotel because I am totally satisfied with the hotel itself and with their staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank rocska_beata
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed there 3 nights. The lobby gives a good appearance and the staff are generally welcoming. The room was spacious and well appointed for the money - almost a suite with a separate seating area. The window didn't close securely, though, and the shower was a bit mildewy. The bed was uncomfortably hard; we woke up sore. There was free wifi in rooms, but it was a bit spotty. Breakfast was complementary but kinda blah.
Ultimately, they didn't honor the special offer they advertised on TripAdvisor, claiming the price they quoted me well before I ever presented the coupon already reflected the discount. Once the receptionist refused to take off the discount at checkout, he then asked us to fill out comment cards, read them in front of us, then drilled us on why we marked certain things like breakfast and room maintenance merely 'fair'.
We were considering using this hotel as a regular base for project staff while in Cairo, but after this experience, we'll keep looking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from both the stairs and the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Nakalanzi
Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Best trip of my life!, definitely I recommend it to anyone coming to Egypt, everything that was specified on the Internet in Havana Hotel web page was fulfilled, great hotel, great quality of service and food, great tour guides at an incredible affordable price, looking forward to come again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jose Z
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was in Cairo during my Christmas vacation ( for 12 days) to visit friends and take a short Arabic course and I was very happy I chose Hotel Havana. First of all, I love Mohandeseen, it is better than staying in the chaotic city centre and it has everything you could possibly need, and it is close enough to everything else by Taxi. It is true, as stated in other reviews that the hotel is on a busy street so it could be noisy to a light sleeper but I did not have this problem. The internet connection does exist and Wifi is free and throughout the whole hotel but I did have some connection problems which most of the time the staff was more than happy to help me with. The staff is really nice and the rooms are VERY clean. The breakfast is good although I would have preferred to have more fruit choices and actual fruit juice. I REALLY enjoyed the lunch, which I thought was very well presented and prepared. The restaurant staff is awesome and room service was great. I would definitely recommend this hotel, I think you really get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Agnabeya1986
Algiers, Algeria
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel occupies the two first stories of a residential building and seems to be in the past apartments that are transformed. That perhaps explains the arrangement of the rooms: two or three in the front of the noisy road but all others in the two sides with direct view to another side building with only few meters distance. So, the rooms are very dark and a little bit old. The furnitures are minimal and the beds are noisy and hardest than orthopaedics. The restaurant can be used only if you are very patient or have nothing to do in the afternoon...
However, it is clean and the reception staffs are friendly and the free airport pickup is appreciated (with “kamikaze” driver but it seems to be common in Cairo…).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roro-de-Bab
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked a room almost 4 weeks before my arrival. Received an email from management confirming my booking.
As I arrived in Cairo early, I left my luggage at the reception to do a bit of sightseeing. At the time, the reception guy checked my booking and everything is fine.
However, when I was back at the hotel at 1300 to check-in I was told by a different guy that they do not have a room for me!! Was told that they have a maintenance issue and the hotel is full.
They booked me into a different hotel and I have no choice but to accept it as I am desperate for a rest after almost 24 hour of no sleep.
Will stay clear of this hotel in the future.

ps. i noticed the hotel proudly display their 4 star tripadvisor rating on the reception wall. based on my experience, this is definitely overrated!

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank MSHAR
osama_azmi, General Manager at Havana Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
We are very dissapointed to here of your upsetting experience. In particular we are sorry you did not have the opportunity to experinece a stay at Havana which would have given you the chance to give a fair and more fully rounded review on Trip Advisor. I would like to apologise unrservedly on behalf of myself and our staff for the unfortunate situation that ended up with us bieng unable to provide you with a room. We had a maintenecae issue as explained to you which left us unable to give u a room to the standard that both you and we at Havana would expect. My staff did their best to find you an alternative hotel and we sent our bell boy Mahmoud to accompany you and your baggage by taxi, for which we paid. Our clients comfort and satisfaction is our number one priority and when we fail to achieve this it pains us becuase we take these occurrences very seriously and personally. Once again, we are very sorry we were not able to accommodate you.