“Oasis in the city” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Singapore
“Oasis in the city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

We had booked this hotel to stay on the last leg of our travels in Egypt and I am truly glad we made the right decision! After "roughing" it out at budget accomodations in the various Egyptian cities (in fact, there was one which was billed as a 5-star locally operated hotel but looked and felt more like a 2-star budget hotel!! I might review this hotel in tripadvisor), Hotel Talisman can really be viewed as icing on the cake! It is a small boutique hotel in Cairo but their rates will definitely not bust your budget. If I remember correctly, we paid about 70euros for a double room with breakfast, which i think is good value for this class of hotel.

The Talisman is located just off the main thoroughfare but yet within walking distance to many eateries and the Cairo Musuem. I would say this is a big advantage as hotels situated along or close to the main streets are extremely noisy! Egyptian traffic is unbelieveably chaotic and loud with drivers honking all the time, so if you want some peace and quiet to sleep at night, don't stay at a hotel near the main street!

The decor at Talisman is tastefully done with a typical middle eastern/Egyptian theme. The staff speak English and are generally helpful. Breakfast was also good. One thing to take note is that they accept only cash, at least that's the payment mode when we stayed there in March last year.

Definitely a gem if you ask me!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank thewhimsicaltrekker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed here one night and it cost me around 60Euro from memory...

It was difficult to find because it's kind of tucked in a seedy looking alleyway in Cairo. I spent 4 weeks in Cairo so I am describing it in comparison to other little alley ways and parts of Downtown, not as a foreigner. I personally did not feel safe on my own here, walking down the side to the entrance and the lifts. With a couple of people it's fine I am sure, and I don't think that there is necessarily any danger, it was just my perceptions.

When you go upstairs and enter Talisman you check in at the desk. They are polite and the woman has a bit of a french accent which is quite cool. They gave me a complimentary drink, showed me my room. The sitting areas, dining room and the room I booked were all very tastefully furnished.

It's kind of like a boutique style hotel so you have really interesting little bits and pieces to look at, paintings, tapestries, tables etc. It's designed very much in the traditional arabian style or moroccan styles. The bathroom is really nice by Egyptian standards. Marble floors etc etc. Very comfortable. No real view from my window.

The have a complimentary breakfast which is nice but check the use by dates on the yoghurt!! Also I found some staff to be a bit too nosy, asking me when I checked in etc etc, why they hadn't seen me. It was bordering on rude and intrusive rather than just offhand. Considering that I stayed there one night, checked out by 10am and was asked by two different staff where I had been. Why they hadn't seen me before. It wasn't an offhanded 'oh, how are you, i don't believe we've met, u must have checked in recently" it was "when did you check in, i haven't seen you, where have you been, i started my shift at 8pm last night and now its 8am and i haven't seen you before"... etc etc... interrogative and with no purpose and no 'oh well welcome'... I personally felt that I paid too much to have this kind of questioning from staff. It's really none of their business.

This and the location are the two reasons why I prefer other hostels/hotels in Cairo. But I believe for a couple in their 40s+ it is a really nice place to book, genuinely. I have recommended it to my parents because the furnishings are comfortable and the decor is a little ethnic and they will probably feel the full experience by staying somewhere like Talisman. Also they are nosy and probably would find soulmates in the staff at Talisman.

I won't go back, but I still thought that visually it was a nice place to stay once you get inside. If you are younger and want a great location in Downtown, read my other review. I rate it higher for a lower budget.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mtatud
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2009

Absolutely LOVED this hotel! we ended our Gap adventure tour and stayed a few extra nights in Cairo at the Talisman. The rooms are soooo charming, service is great, and its located in the center of town. The only funny thing is trying to find it! The entrance is in a small alley/street and we kinda got lost getting up to the hotel...we werent sure what floor it was on...Also, the lift is really old school but it adds to the charm! It would be a pleasure to stay again and I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to a friend!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Kuantan, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

A very clean and comfortable hotel and excellent value apart from the cost of extras like tea in the room (2 Euros each which soon adds up in a hot climate!).
Usual comments about hard to find (try asking for the Adidas shop or Cafe Americaine), even booking a taxi for a transfer to the airport is problematic (try City Cabs – aircon and with meters!!).
The staff can recommend restaurants for evening meals but if you don’t want fancy and with tourist prices, a walk around the block will find you somewhere authentically local, clean and about half the price (no alcohol though). We found the Hammam Restaurant (turn right on Talaat Harb St, right again and then crossover and take the first left then first right).
We had a suite which was very roomy and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again if we wanted a central location. Take some dollars or Euros cash.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anthou1959
Grand Rapids Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

We just returned from two stays there. First, one night before we left for Luxor, and later four nights as we toured Cairo.

The location is excellent, centrally located off a busy shopping street. However, cabbies do not always know the hotel. We found if we told them "Cinema Miami" (a movie theater around the corner from it they could find it. As others have noted, it's actually on an alley off Talat Haarb. Look for the yellow Hotel Minerva sign--it's easier to spot.

After you take the ancient elevator to the fifth floor, you're in another world. Very boutique decorated with old oriental rugs.

They take cash only (Egyptian pounds or Euros or U.S. dollars.)

There is free internet in the lounge and in the library there is a computer you can use for free with internet access.

Breakfast is decent by Egyptian hotel standards. Croissants, toast, orange juice, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, cheese, cucumbers and tomatoes. tea or the ubiquitous instant Nescafe (ugh!)

There is t.v. with some English channels. There was refrigerator with mini-bar prices.

The room was cleaned twice daily, it seemed.

The beds (both rooms) were very comfortable.

All in all a good choice if you don't want to be in yet another Western style hotel such that you don't know where you are.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Frequentflyermom
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

This is a small hotel on the fifth floor in downtown Cairo. They have done an excellent job upgrading the rooms. The rooms are large and comfortable. Even though it is in downtown Cairo it is quiet with little street noise. Good nights sleep.

For a continental breakfast it was complete: juices, pastries, fresh fruit and vegetables, soft boiled eggs, choices of yogurt, cereal, coffee, and tea.

The staff was friendly and eager to help,

They will make arrangements to have someone pick you up at the airport.

Adventures in Egypt tour company (www.adventuresinegypt.com) has a desk at the hotel. We took the big bus tour the first day from a different company and a customized tour with Adventures in Egypt, designed to our wishes, with them the second day. Their tour was far superior, with an excellent guide. It was like traveling with a friend. When we stay here again our first stop will be Adventures in Egypt to arrange our sightseeing.

Leo and Sharon Kirkland Washington

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2009

My sister and I stayed here for six nights in May 2009, and our overall impression was positive. This is a hotel with a lot of charm--winding hallways, comfortable lounge areas, colorful decorations.

Our room was spacious, with very high ceilings, and the bathroom was modern and clean. The hotel also has a free breakfast (with somewhat limited selection) and a computer terminal with free Internet access.

We did encounter a few minor drawbacks. First, the hotel is accessed via a rickety, old-fashioned elevator (see photo), which we never entirely trusted. Second, it's a ten-minute hike to any decent restaurant, which can be frustrating after a long day spent sightseeing.

That said, we would stay here again. Cairo is chaotic and noisy, and the hotel served as a nice refuge.

Tip: This hotel (at 39 Talaat Harb) can be hard to find the first time. You want to turn into the alley by the Adidas store, then turn into the foyer on your right. Walk straight toward the Singer sewing machine shop, then turn left. You'll see the elevator there; take it to the fifth floor.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends