“Charming little hotel in Cairo” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Talisman Hotel de Charme

Talisman Hotel de Charme
Ranked #57 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Beirut, Lebanon
“Charming little hotel in Cairo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

When I go to Cairo I usually stay in one of the five star chain hotels in zamalek. I grew tired of some of their overpriced bad service and wanted to try something original. I was always afraid of trying small hotels in Cairo but this time I gave it a try, following the recommendation of a friend that I trust. I loved it. Great location, right off tahreer square, in the middle of the city. The rooms feel like chambers in an old castle, with grandeur but not preetentious, and as clean as it gets in Cairo, with large comfortable beds with beautiful covers. The bathroom is also in the same style. The hotel has a lot of small salon spaces, and they offer a simple, yet tasty breakfast, with cute little cumin croissants. I loved my stay here, and the staff were extremely helpful.

• Stayed January 2011
4 Thank MazenKh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

If you’ve read my reviews, you’ll know that I choose lodging based on the kind of experience I hope to have. The Talisman was my 4th and final stop on a solo, 2-week tour of Egypt.

Located in the heart of Cairo, the location couldn’t have been better. From the hotel, I walked to the Egyptian Museum, Khan el-Khalili and the subway station.

It is very much a “boutique” hotel that could have easily been around in the 20s or 30s. My room had a big wooden door with an old fashioned key that opened a squeaky noisy door. It reminded me of a 20th century B&B except for the beautiful bathroom which was very much my own. The furnishings were equally as nice in the shared spaces with a definite French influence right up to the mademoiselle who showed me to my room.

The room itself was a bit of a disappointment. The one window opened slightly (for air) into an open-air shaft. The room was dark and really smelled of cigarettes, although all of the places I stayed smelled of cigarette smoke. I think the only other room option would have been facing a noisy street.

A tasty but simple breakfast was included every morning and served in a room that reminded me of a French parlor, only it had Egyptian accents.

The best part of this hotel was the elevator. It is circa 1920-1930 and made me smile every time I rode it.

This is truly a funky boutique hotel and while it was quirky, I loved it. It had that certain...je ne sais quoi.

Oh yeah...it's really hard to find, especially at night, and it has a dark foreboding entrance off the main street down an alley. But don't let that disuade you!

Room Tip: If you want light and don't mind noise, ask for a room overlooking the street. Otherwise, stick...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank QuinnTripper
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

This hotel really does need to pay attention to the dirt and filth around them. Itself is a lovely place and very like a Marrakesh riad but getting to it might put you off. If the elevator isn't working, or held, this could be a huge drawback. We stayed in one of the back rooms which was a blessing. Breakfast was very good. I'd stay in places like this over 5 star hotels anywhere but they must clean up the surroundings and the views from their balconies. My God, what's so difficult in understanding why this is important to the people who are coming to stay? Egyptians just don't get it, I suppose.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front if it overlooks that busy, busy street below.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank paddy221666
seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

My room was nice, clean, and as a matter of fact, the one pictured above (blue rimmed headboard, sienna walls). It's clean, quiet, conveniently located and all that. The building the hotel is in (it occupies the entire 5th floor) is a dump. Don't let that bother you. Things work in the room - the AC, the TV, the bathroom - but are just a tad run down. And there's slopping things that they could fix, like the smeared paint job on the bathroom walls (see photo)
Probably the worst thing about this place is the breakfast, which is just awful. Skip it (I'm sure that's what they want you to do anyway). The cheese is old, the bread is white, the pastries taste cheap & old, the coffee is instant, the yogurt is room-temperature and the eggs, which you should be able to order as you like, tend to come however they feel like giving them to you. Two days in a row, I tried to get fried eggs. The first day, I got scrambled eggs. The second day I got fried eggs, but suspended in oil. Like oil above, oil below, oil everywhere. Just looking at them made me sick, so I went with the sad hard-boiled eggs and the tired-looking plate of sliced tomatoes & cucumbers. You're better off eating at any other hole in the wall in Cairo, or, better yet, going to one of the cafes on the Nile.
Also, don't expect the front desk to give you walking directions anywhere. The guy I dealt with kept telling me to get into a white cab. Which, okay, fine, I might do, but with traffic what it is in Cairo, you can spend all day in a cab trying to get to a place you could walk to in an hour.
Over all, a pleasant experience, and I'd recommend the place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank availablename
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

Way too expensive for a hotel like this. Charge $120 for a double room! U can get a 4 star hotel for this price! Located on the six floor of an old building, stair very dirty. Rooms r ok, with Egyptian style, but very small, and the view of the window is nothing to see.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mccham37
seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

the best traveling is time-traveling, and enter the charming past at this hotel.
But also enter the smoking past, where the elegant sitting rooms smell like ash-trays after years of second-hand smoke. Having non-smoking rooms in a smoking hotel is like having a peeing section in a public pool, not a great idea.
Egyptians have less sense of smell left, but foreigners beware. The rooms are great. A bit of French helps as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank jaketravelsabit
Londonuk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

We stayed twice at the beginning and end of our 2 week trip in Egypt. Our first experience was generally fine a nice room with balcony, adequate breakfast but getting coffee from a single coffee making machine was extremely slow and frustrating. On our return we got put in a room near reception (noisy), over looking a rubbish dump, could do with upgrading. The tiolet didn't work and even after reporting nothing got done, on our first visit we had sporadic water supply for a shower.
Finally we ordered a taxi from the hotel to the airport, total mistake, double the price and the taxi never showed, waited over an hour and hotel staff didn't seem interested. Eventually due to the heavy traffic we missed out flight.

Room Tip: away from reception room with balcony
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple