“Indian Hotel with Restaurant in Cairo, Egypt”
Review of The Karvin Hotel

The Karvin Hotel
Ranked #71 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Indian Hotel with Restaurant in Cairo, Egypt”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The Hotel along with its veggie Indian restaurant was a boon for me for a first time traveler like me to Egypt.

Everyone in the Hotel right from the owner (Mr. Oberoi), his disciplined / courteous staff & also the chef were very co-operative. The owner gave me many references (Indian contacts in local companies) as he was a member of Indian Association in Cairo.

The staff (especially Madam Aziz, Madam Amir, Mr. Ahmed & Mr. Walid) were extremely co-operative. The tour packages offered by them were also good.
These guys made my going around the city very easy by translating all my customers address in Arabic & also sometimes taking appointments for us, even when we were not taking the Taxis from their Hotel !

The chef Jitendra Singh made every single indian cuisine for me from Alu Paratha in the Breakfast to Dal - Khichdi in the night.

Wifi is good. Rooms & their bathrooms were also good, But these things hardly matters when one's need for Indian food & language barrier is broken in such an alien land where English is hardly spoken.

The hotel has an fantastic "Roof Top" garden restaurant, serving drinks & shisha till late night everyday. The crowd visiting never made me feel that i was in an Arabian country.

Overall the hotel is awesome & a blessing in disguise for Indian visitors in Egypt.

Room Tip: Rooms in the same category (Economy) has variations in size dimensions. Its due to the size of Bathr...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Radiant2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Once you are in international location like Egypt and being an indian that too a veggie then The Karvin hotel is the place to stay.
Near to city star, atleast nice indian food. Not great food as we get in India but compared to situation like in Egypt, any Indian food is Awesome.

Room Tip: Select Suite tht is complete value worth
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Ankit S
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We had a wonderful vacation. We felt safe and secure in the hotel. It is close to the museum and other nice places.The staff and manager advised us on all things we needed to know, like money changing, caffe etc. Thank you so much. We were really enjoyed there.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Sul25
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Some improvements have been made since my last stay there a few years ago. Still needs some modernising especially the bathrooms. Relatively cheap. One restaurant out of action the whole week I was there due to ..... WiFi installing. Really? That long? Staff very good and very helpful. Meals are generally very good. Customer Relations manager was very ploite and helpful.

Room Tip: Take a room not overlooking the street as quite noisy at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank John C
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed at the karvin a few days ago...there are no words that can express the level of hospitality and comfort we received.

Each and every member of staff went above ans beyond to look after us and made sure that our stay was the finest.

The restaurants were amazing especially the roof garden and the masala ....a true treat of "real" indian cuisine outside india.

I would like to mention the names of a select few members of staff who truelly made our stay 7 star...
Mariam ( guest relations)
Abdali milad (front office)
Mariam (restaurant -greenery)
Ahmed (concierge)
(Apologise, if I have spelt the name incorrectly)
All of the members of staff are truelly the stars of the hotel...and ofcourse every other hotel staff member whose name I did not get.

Thank you all for a lovely stay and I am sure that we will come back to the karvin for another stay very soon.

Regards

Rupreet and Arjun Datta

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arjun D
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Even before I arrived at the property I was already impressed with the hotel. I had sent my flight information to the hotel to request an airport pickup, but had neglected to note the flight time. The staff person who responded to my e-mail independently found my flight time and arranged the pickup. I've arranged many airport pickups in my time, few of them have gone this smoothly.

I continued to be impressed with my experience once I arrived. The staff were friendly and attentive and took steps to ensure that the colleague I was travelling with had a room adjacent to mine. I found the room to be clean and decently appointed. I really appreciated that the room used soft indirect lighting rather then stark, bright white florescent bulbs.

The hotel is quite close to the airport. Both my trips to and from the airport where about 10 minutes, traffic was not a significant issue. So certainly worth a stay if you have a flight, but not an unpleasant place to stay for a longer visit to Cairo.

Internet at the hotel is available at an extra charge. The connection is decent, certainly good enough for e-mail and general surfing, Youtube is ok if you are patient, my colleague struggled getting voice Skype to work.

The hotel provide items for tea and coffee each day as well as selection of cookies and fruit for snacks. It was nice touch.

The Indian restaurant on the premises was good, the Roof Top Pub was very busy and does serve alcohol (also available in the restaurants and room service). Breakfast was buffet style with a wide range of items available including Egyptian staples like ful (stewed fava beans) and falafel. Coffee is sadly instant but there are several coffee shops nearby where one can get a better cup.

I highly recommend the Karvin Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank jfhale
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

On the day we arrived the power promptly went off as we walked up to the check-in counter. Clearly beyond the control of staff, but made things a little frantic for them. The guy behind the counter did his best to answer the calls, check us in and get the power on, but was clearly pushing the limits of what one guy could do. I think someone was stuck in the elevator and banging on the door.

The lights came back on and we got checked in but I think the poor sod in the elevator was stuck there. They mentioned something about it would take 5 minutes before the elevator would work again.

We trudged up the stairs to our floor to enter a room that was more like a dorm room than a hotel room. Too basic single beds with wooden frames and a small table at one end with barely enough room between the bed and it. The power kept going on and off. Luckily I had a pocket flashlight.

We went downstairs to grab a quick bite as we were only in the hotel one night and had a flight in the morning. The Indian restaurant looked good, but again the power kept going on and off. They brought us a candle and I had my flashlight. Eventually we ordered; eventually the lights stayed on permanently and the food was actual decent Indian food. There were 3 staff serving us and we were the only table in there most of the time. I had been to India last year and joked with my friend that he was getting a real Indian experience - the ambience of the restaurant, good Indian food and regular power outages!

We never got the wake up call we asked for so a good thing we set our own alarm for the morning. The hotel did pack up some boxes of breakfast food for us as we were leaving before their breakfast buffet opened. The food was mostly mediocre to poor, but at least they put the effort in to accommodate our early morning flight, which was appreciated. They arranged a car for us in the morning to get us to the airport and it was there on time.

Overall the staff were nice and clearly trying hard. They are trying to give a high service standard. The power outages and poor breakfast food was not their fault. We had a reasonably good night's sleep and were on our way. OK place, but not sure I'd want to stay for any extended period.

Room Tip: Pick one with power and bring a flashlight?
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends