“Nice and friendly”

Ranked #77 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Malmo, Sweden
“Nice and friendly”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Spent one night at this hotel. It's close to the airport which is very useful to avoid missing your flight cause you're stuck in Cairo's traffic. But the hotel is also really nice! Clean and neat. The staff was super friendly and helpful.

The hot water in our room was only enough for one shower, we found out.. Best to check the little thermometer thing on the water heater before you jump in.

Breakfast was very good and included some Indian things, which was a nice surprise. We had dinner at the Indian restaurant in the hotel, the food was really good but the atmosphere there wasn't so charming. No windows and a bit too smokey from cigarettes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Linnea U

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Arabic first
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Overall, a wonderful feeling of a home away from home. The staff was wonderful and the food was outstanding. I prefer business hotels, because they rely on repeat customers. The Kaval is that, but also a very good place from which to see Cairo and the surrounding areas.

The manager and his wife seemed always to be around, greeting everybody personally and making everybody feel at home. The staff couldn't do enough for us. Everyone spoke excellent English and helped us with numerous stupid tourist questions. We used the hotel driver, Esam, who was prompt, efficient, and courteous. The waitstaff in the restaurants were not just helpful, but eager to assist us. One even helped me with the seasonings to acquire a taste for the Egyptian fava beans (fuul?) and the boiled whole wheat for breakfast.

My wife and I had the best Indian food we've ever had at the hotel. The Chinese food was also excellent; in fact all the food we had there was superb. A nice feature is that you can order anything from any of the restaurants in any of them, even the rooftop bar. In the US, hotels pretty much serve food because it is expected and to get the markup on the beverege business, but at the Kaval, the food is a draw in itself. And the rooftop bar is a draw for the younger set, which seemed to be mostly locals.

There was some unrest in Egypt when we were there, but we felt safe and secure in the Kaval. It was close to the museum and other places we wanted to see, but out of the way. The staff and manager advised us on all sorts of things we needed to know, like shopping, money changing, etc. Also where and when to go safely to places.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Terry R
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Having experienced three separate stays in the hotel, I can vouch for the care and concern of the owner and manager and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The three restaurants are a plus, providing traditional, Indian, and Chinese food. I'm amazed at the popularity of the rooftop terrace. Of the approximately six nights I have visited the rooftop, it was full each time, with what appeared to be both hotel guests and Cairo residents. That certainly speaks for its appeal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ron_KC
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I traveled to Egypt for the first time recently and stayed over 2 weeks at the Karvin, since it was centrally located to the universities and easy to access Tahrir square area, all places I needed to go to meet with folks to learn more about Egypt. What I loved about the Karvin was the incredibly warm and friendly staff who went out of their way to be friendly, generous with their time, and helped me get to know the country just a bit more. Having 3 restaurants, one on the roof (!) made getting food easy, and it was delicious. I walked the neighborhood a lot, and while crossing major streets is always a major challenge on foot in Cairo, there are quite a few little work-arounds so you can cover a lot of ground on foot and not get stuck forever waiting to cross a street! And if you need a taxi, the staff always assisted with lining up friendly drivers who made sure I got to where I wanted to go-even when I had less than perfect addresses! You can find fancier places, for sure, but few where you feel so warmly welcomed. I felt like I left friends when I departed, not a sterile hotel. Would definitely stay here again when I return, which I will!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank GregTuke
Alexandria, Al Iskandariyah, Egypt
Reviewed March 15, 2013

karvin hotel is a very convenient place to stay in while you are in business, however I do recommend if the owner or whoever responsible to change the furniture as it is too old and not comfortable enough. in the meantime, the TV sets should be changed for LCD or LED. for myself, I am always book at Karvin in all my business trips in Cairo.

Room Tip: book on south side rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Khaled A
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel many times now. It's my preferred place when I go to Cairo. It doesn't have a nice view but if you need a clean place with a decent room where you can rest , that is the perfect place. They have a couple of nice restaurants with nice food and again with a decent price. The rooms with the queen bed is slightly small but it's ok. The location is perfect if you won't go to the other side of town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Yaser F
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a medium range hotel, well located in Heliopolis, where all essential facilities can be found, in particular three good restaurants (Italian, Chines, and particularly the Indian one). The terrasse at the top floor is in itself a jewel, as you can sip a "mango lassee", a mint tea, or a beer, while watching the stars and breathing cool air at night. Staff is helpful and friendly. The hotel manager can give you excellent guidance on what to see in Cairo. Rooms are simple and slightly old fashioned. Bathroom also, and some fixtures and devices may not be always functioning properly. This is also why the price is still acceptable, for what is overall a very pleasant place to stay in.

Room Tip: Better higher up in the building, where nearby dogs cannot be heard, and fresh outside air can enter...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business