“good for its price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Select Hotel

Select Hotel
Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Select Hotel
Ranked #39 of 128 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Alexandria, Egypt
“good for its price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

it's a very good hotel conscidering its price...i stayed there for 2 nights and didnt encounter any problems
good location
nice rooms

Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

Hotel was in a good location in down town, plently to see in area and can walk to museum and nile in 15 mins and quick drive to train station. Breakfast was just bread and jam. Big rooms, cosy, felt like grandmas place. Balcony views pretty average. Manager and staff friendly. Cheap internet readily avail. Avoid booking the recommended pyramids guide and driver, they are crooks and take you to all these shops / camel stables and pressure you to buy stuff more than 5 times its worth. Unnessecary stress when you tell them I just want to see the pyramids, sakara and mephis. Take a normal taxi between all stops. Decent place, stay here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
berlin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

I have made a very unpleasant experience with Select Hotel and its team/ managers. I booked a room and even confirmed it by calling the Hotel the night before leaving Germany. Everything seemed to be fine. 8 hours later we arrived at 3 am at the Hotel and were told that there were no rooms available anymore. We were asked to understand the fact since there were so many US citizens in town who came for the Gaza Freedom March and they put down "lots of dollars in cash" in order to take the rooms.

We had to wait until another room was organized in another hotel (not nice but therefore double the price we ought to pay in Select Hotel). Select Hotel did not pay the difference nor did they pay the 10% charge for the hotel and the service charge from HostelWorld that was allready debited from my account. In the contrary - disussing with many different people I was accused of:

- not having confirmed the booking via HostelWorld (I did call even though it is not necessary in the case of online booking - the confirmation was received by e mail)

- accepting the more expensive Hotel (which was offered to us as the only solution in town from SELECT HOTEL!)

SELECT HOTEL arguments were really weired:
- They said they never reveived a booking reservation from me (WRONG: HostelWOrld and I personally confirmed via telephone and everything was fine!!)
- The said this overbooking is not their fault since they told HostelWorld that they were overbooked (NOT TRUE)
- ...

Whatever - I was upset with all the lies they kept on telling me so I quietly said: everything is fine, I do not care about the money but I will post my experience with this unqualified Hotel Staff and poor Management and hung up.

5 minutes later I was sorrounded by managers explaining me how sorry they were for the "unconvieniences" and offered me the HostelWorld Reservation Charge of 4.60 US Dollars... One of the managers even agreed that without my threat to post my experiences they would not have cared at all about my issue... THANK YOU!

If you decide to go there, do not book via Internet and do not pay in advance. Management in this house - stinks!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank epeaches

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

I stayed in total 5 nights at hotel Select, in an ensuite double bed room which had a balcony with a great view of Cairo. We paid approx 16€ per night, a bargain! The hotel is not up to European 3 star standards, but it's very charming and the staff is super friendly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank morningrebel
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Basic and in need of a lick of paint but you cant fault the staff for friendliness. Nothing was too much trouble and there was internet access for just 5le! Shower in the room but shared wc. Balcony with great view of the rooftops, the streets and the sunrise ! Perfect for listening to the Adhans ringing out at sunrise and sunset. Centrally located if you like walking - -the old Souk and El Hussein Mosque in one direction - -the Nile, the Egyptian Museum and the Cairo Tower in the other. Shops galore and the backstreet cafes for food are nearby. The architecture of the surrounding buildings and squares is breathtaking. By English standards this hotel was one or two stars standard and my Egyptian husband kept apologising before I got there because he thought I would hate it but I fell in love with the place and would certainly stay again. 100le per night for two including breakfast (bread rolls and jam). Bargain!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaraAmr
Alexandria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

If you are going to Cairo on the smallest of budgets and want to spend as little as possible but want something in the heart of downtown Cairo, this is the place to be. I spent over a week in Cairo in this hotel. There are actually no private singles in this hotel, except ONE room, which I stayed in. The other rooms were larger and some had ACs, but my room was the tiniest. And by tiny, I mean TINY. It is actually a tiny bathroom converted bedroom, so that there is still a wash basin and heater in it! The room was barely enough for the small bed, which was very clean. Other than that, it was equipped with an electric fan and wash basin. The shower and toilet are not inside the room, but in an adjacent shared bathroom.
It was actually quite fun, I thought the room was very cozy. The receptionist Sameh was very friendly, and even offered me a discount on the room when I said I was going to stay for over a week. He cut it down from 40 Egyptian pounds a night to 35 (but I am Egyptian, so I don't know what the deal is with foreigners). But even by foreign standards, it is still a very cheap hotel, located on a single floor of an old building in downtown Cairo, which you ascend to by a delightful cage elevator (though make sure to close all its doors when leaving it!)
Naturally no breakfast was included in the package, and there was a TV in a shared sitting room that was very cozy too, though I wasn't interested in watching TV since I was busy sightseeing.
It's greatest asset is it's location. Right in the heart of Downtown Cairo, a short walk from the Egyptian Museum, Tahrir Square, the American University, the Metro Station, Al Azhar street and Midan al Hussein and of course the Khan Al Khalili bazaars. If you don't like walking, all these places are quickly accessible by abundant taxis, though traffic may not always be on your side.
Everything you need is around you, be it supermarkets, fast food chains, local food shops, bookshops, etc...
I also took a short walk from it to the Qasr Al Nil bridge which is a great place to stand at night and marvel at the Nile.

So, if you are REALLY tight on money and want nothing at all but a bed to sleep in, a bathroom, and a good location, and don't care for fancy furniture, then Select Hotel is a great bet.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo