“Cheap, great location, friendly staff.”

Cleopatra Palace Hotel
Cleopatra Palace Hotel
Ranked #102 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
Canada
“Cheap, great location, friendly staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

The hotel is in the middle of a great area. Close to shopping, museums, the nile and popular 'night spots.' The elevators were BOTH indeed functioning during my visit, but still incredibly slow. Several staff were fluent in both English & Arabic. They were incredibly kind and friendly, giving us sugguestions for restauraunts near by, activities we'd enjoy while staying, and helping me with my Arabic. The rooms are quite small, but have a great view. Our telephone didn't work the first night, but was replaced the next day.

Overall, I think Cleopatras Palace is a great place for those not looking to spend the day inside of the hotel. It's a nice bed to come back to after a long day outdoors discovering Egypt.

• Liked — The amazing receptionists/staff who became our new friends!! They really made us feel welcome!!!!!
  • Disliked — The slow elevators.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Canegyptian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Melaka, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

I was staying at this hotel from 1st to 8th of May 2007
Although the internet and the receptionist quoted USD 70 per night, I was able to get a room for USD 28 per night through
a travel agent Ms Zooha. Thanks to her.

The place is centrally located closer to the museum and shopping centres. The staff are courteous. Unfortunately I could not communicate with them since they could not speak English.

When I was checking out I was asked to pay fine of USD 20 for a broken washing basin in the bathroom. The basin was found broken when I entered the room. However they insisted that I have broken the sink. How can I break unless I hammer forcefully. There were marks of old brake in the was basin. However they did not accept. I was displeased the way they find me for an old broken wash basin.

The aircondition in the room was not working at all. Fortunately we were out of the room in the day time. Even the night was hot.

I will not recommend this hotel especially to foreigners

Najimudeen

• Liked — centrally located. closer to the shopping/restaurant areas
  • Disliked — room is dirty. Aircondition not working. Charging me for an already borken washing basin
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank najimudeen

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2006

I used 4 hotels in Cairo. Cleopatra Palace was the worst. There are 2 elevators: one is completely broken, the other has broken automatic doors (so someone has to push them closed). The stairwell was locked. Cockroaches! Very loud traffic all night long from Tahrir Square and from inside the building. The laundry service bleached my colored clothes. The hot water worked about 40% of the time. And they quoted me the foreigners price of $55/night for a single (although I received a lower rate). Egyptians pay $18.

Positives include central location near metro, friendly staff, and unlimited, albeit boring, breakfast buffet.

Bottom line: don't pay full price for this hotel! It's worth about $18 a night.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank inthewoods115
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2005

Great location for the price, and wonderful views across the Nile from the upper floors.
It's a fairly run-down place that still has pretensions of grandeur. The lifts are manually operated and you sometimes have to wait a long time for them. When I was there the operator had to keep pressing the two doors together with his hands, otherwise the lift stopped between floors.
I was very concerned one morning to find the door to the staircase (the only means of escape in an emergency) securely locked. I complained, and after initially denying it was locked, the receptions staff brought a policeman to unlock it. The same thing happened a few days later.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business