“Basic but clean” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #103 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Sussex
“Basic but clean”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2009

We stayed here twice as part of an Adventure Company tour. The hotel is probably best described as 3* rather than 4* but it is clean and in a good location.

Food is reasonable quality - breakfast has the usual buffet selection which was always fresh.

Try and get rooms on high floors and I think they are renovating from the top down - first time we had a room on the 7th which was poor but on the 12th floor it was excellent having obviously just been updated.

The hotel is primarily a stopover for tour groups so there is always loads of people coming and going which can make some mealtimes a bit of a lottery but overall service was good and staff helpful.

• Stayed December 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Amherst, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for three nights, as it was part of an Egypt tour we took. Although advertised as a 4-start hotel, I would much rather rate it a solid 3-star.

The good things: very nice breakfast, although keep in mind that the fruit juice is made with tap water not with bottled water. Some of the folks in our group had stomach problems because of this. The rooms were very large, with relatively new furniture. I found them kind of dark, but that may be because the windows seem to be so small. We had a big bathroom, clean to my satisfaction, though the toiletries provided were scarce to say at least. And here the good things end.

What I like less: had I mentioned that there were very little toiletries provided? This shouldn't be a problem, as I always bring my shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner. Yet, I had never thought to bring my own toilet paper! Yes, we had to FIGHT to get some, as the roll that we found when we arrived was almost finished.

Did I also mentioned that the receptionists were unfriendly? This is a very nice way of putting things. In fact they were borderline offending, especially for women! I never blocked the door in a hotel when I traveled before, yet I did it here!

I have no good things to say about the location. There isn't really much to see in the area, and you'll need to call for a cab no matter where you go. Given the horrendous traffic from Cairo, this may be an issue if you want to get somewhere else in a timely manner.

To end here, no I would not recommend this place to anyone, especially to any woman traveling unaccompanied by a man. Pay an extra $50 and stay at a decent hotel: it will be worth it!

• Liked — Ok rooms
  • Disliked — The receptionists, the carriers
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank andreiuta

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a total of 5 nights and quite frankly i won't be going back again. The first is its location, right in the suburbs on the west bank. The hotel is at least a twenty minute taxi ride to all of the major sites on the east bank, Islamic / Coptic Cairo etc. There are a only a couple of average restaurants locally and a large number of fast food outlets but nothing to shout home about.

The rooms are clean and nice if a bit dark. Also don't get a room that overlooks the main drag as the car hooting goes on well into the early hours. The pool was small and not very clean, the bell captain was efficient when ordering my many cabs but the reception staff were surely and uncooperative. As for breakfast, it was a very limited choice and what they did serve was cold. My recommendation would be to stay at a nicer hotel on the east bank, possibly the Windsor hotel, if you can find it. I stayed at this hotel with 'on the go' tours and wouldn't go back, although the dunes / tombs tour was excellent.

• Liked — The clean rooms
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank derbyshirenomad
Quito, Ecuador
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

We just came back from a 3 night package in Cairo offered by Air Arabia which included flight and Al Nabila hotel. Although billed as a 4 star, I would rate this as a 3 star hotel with a 2 star television - only one channel in English and that was CNN. We had an interior room so street noise was not a problem. The breakfast was adequate. The room was clean but dark. Plenty of hot water. There was no evidence of unwanted visitors while we were not in the room. Electrical outlet is configured for a 2, round post fitting. Good Italian restuarant around the corner next to Teriaki place. Good/cheap pizza place right next door. There is wireless access to internet in the lobby/restaurant for laptop but none in the rooms. Young staff were quite pleasant; older staff were, well, tired is a nice way to put it. Manage your small money carefully - there is very little change in Cairo - many vendors can not make change for 100 pounds (abouot $20).
We had a very good guide for the Pyramids/Cairo through Sinbad Travel. His name is Muhamed and I recommend him. Contact me for his details.

• Liked — No theft
  • Disliked — television
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoeBSharjah
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

We stayed at Al Nabila for 3 nights as part of a tour package with 'On The Go'. This is a great hotel to stay at if you are spending most of your time out of it. That's not to say it is bad... it just offers the basics to sleep, wash and eat breakfast and that's about it. The room was spacious. There were plenty of points to charge electronics. Bathroom was fine. Beds adequate. The breakfast range and quality was excellent with both Egyptian and western food on offer. The staff were prompt although I wouldn't say necessarily friendly but we didn't need their help at anytime. I wouldn't recommend the in-house money exchange. The scowling cashier took my GBP40 punched on a calculator, then tossed some dirty local notes back over to me without so much as a word.

Lastly like so many high-rise hotels in Cairo the Al Nabila is located on a busy 6-8 lane road (it is hard to tell as the roads lack any lane lines!). We were on the 6th floor for 2 nights and the 8th floor for the 3rd. Traffic noise was equally audible from both. I live on a main road to was not bothered but if yr not used to it bring earplugs!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The cashier at the money exchange desk
  • Stayed March 2008
Liverpool, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2008

Stayed 2 nights at the end of our 2 week Egypt trip. Enjoyed the location as it was in an area where we could visit the grocery store (Metro Market) for inexpensive snacks and water, use cheap Internet (3 LE per half hour at the shop above the Metro Market), and eat at non-touristy restaurants.

Our room was in the back of the building and very quiet. The room was nicely furnished and clean. The bathroom was large and we had plenty of hot water. The bed pillows were hard & thin.

Nice breakfast included eggs to order, pastries, and fresh fruit.

• Liked — Clean hotel, good area
  • Disliked — hard-as-rock pillows
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank cnyrealtor
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2007

We stayed at the Al Nabila Hotel for 3 nights in total. One night at the beginning of the Pack2egypt Tour, then 2 nights at the end.

It is rated 4 star and we had upgraded our tour to 4 star and hoped that the Hotels chosen by the tour company would be ok.
This was an ok business type of hotel. The guests were mainly middle eastern but we did see many Westerners at Breakfast...but not any other time. I would rate it as a 3 star , but it was very clean and the rooms a good size and huge clean bathroom. The warm wooden furniture in the bedrooms were trying to be renaissance look with red and gold carpets and similar wallpaper.

It was in a good area with food outlets all around, money exchange and internet and a small shop in the lobby. Bakery out the front. a restaurant, but we found no one eating in it.

There is a METRO grocery store down the road and and exchange place nearby with better rates than the Hotel.

The staff were all very curtious and friendly. Wake up calls coming through on time etc.

It was ok as we were out touring all day. But if I had to stay in Cairo for a long period , I would chose a 5 star resortish type hotel.

• Liked — Area
  • Disliked — Not really 4 star
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple