“I say its a good and correct hotel”
Review of Santana Hotel

Santana Hotel
Ranked #102 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
noneedanymore
“I say its a good and correct hotel”
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I went with a small group of 10 people and spent 3 nights. The rooms were correct, service was good specialy meals. I didn't expect anything more. As overall, I am satisfied from the hotel and the staff.

1 Thank noneedanymore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I stayed here on a tour with Gap adventures. I read the reviews before I went and thus was not expecting anything great. However, it was not as bad as I expected for our purposes. First, the staff was very friendly and helpful. I have no complaints at all about the service. The room was pretty clean but very basic with some problems.... TV didnt work (because a wire was hanging by a thread) and there was a small hole in the tile in the shower. However, we just got off a long flight from the US, slept and showered here for one night. The bed was fine, the shower was hot and the room was clean. It wasnt luxury but it was an ok place to start our tour.

3 Thank lblahnik
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Although I was able to stay in one of the newer rooms that reviewers mentioned, the service was AWFUL. I've never encountered such rude staff in any country I have ever traveled to. Along with ignoring you at the front desk, they also forgot our wake-up call almost causing us to miss a flight back to the US. We had to stay at this hotel because of their link to GAP Adventures, but I would never recommend staying here.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
34 Thank Sona P
indiana
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Located in an obviously high-risk area of town (bars on windows, people hanging out with no apparent purpose), the Sanatana Hotel, were it a dog, would have three legs, a broken tail, flea-bitten ears and a spectacular case of mange. Upon entering the hotel lobby, another tourist warned me to watch our bags. The room was very old. The door frame had been broken in the past and now appeared to be rotting in places. I woke up to use the B-room in the middle of the night and surprised a couple of baby roaches on their nightly rounds. Etc., etc.

36 Thank indianamatt
ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2009

i booked this hotel for 5 nights, but when we arrived manager told that they have receipt only for 3 nights and they don't care where will we go then and why it happened. he just suggested to call my travel agent in cairo (GAT TOUR) and gave phone no and email address. both were wrong!!! (gat tour is partner of firm where i booked hotel). We decided to ring in england first (to company where i made booking), they told that actual problem is between gat tour and santana hotel, and promised to sort it out. however, on next morning nothing was changed. i rang them again, and following morning was without changes again... then we found address of gat tour in internet and went speak face to face. receptionist told that manager knows about our problem and asked to wait for few minutes before he will sort that thing. some assistant came to lead us to new hotel in approx 1h.

SO, managment of hotel is ineficient, not helpful, rude and not taking care on customers.

it's not possible to get renovated room if u made booking for standard one.

standard rooms have furniture from last century, air condition was so nosy that we couldn't leave it for night, ventilator in bathroom was't working and bath wasn't very clean.
towels were grey and never were changed.

however, room was pretty clean and breakfast was fine.

i've got this room as 3 star, but would give only 2 stars

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
35 Thank katerina09
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a total of 4 nights for a guided tour around Egypt ( 3 nights before in an older room and 1 night after the tour in the refurbished room)

We were pretty worried about the state of the hotel after reading these reviews but we ended up being pleasantly surprised when we arrived.

Sure, the rooms are older if you don't get a refurbished one, but it was clean and the beds were the comfiest that we had in the other two hotels we stayed at in Luxor and Aswan. The first room was very big with two beds and a small balcony, the bathroom was pretty large as well but the ceiling was a bit beat up and everything worked just fine.

In Egypt workers depend on tips, so be prepared with a few Egyptian pounds for when they take your bags up to your room and let you in, etc...things like that. It doesn't just happen at the Santana but every other hotel we stayed at as well.

The breakfasts weren't anything to write home about but they did the trick, we usually just ended up grabbing some toast and jam and juice. We didn't try the diner for lunch or dinner.... we usually went next door where there was a great little resturant. You can get rice, pasta and pizza there at a great price. And there is a coffee shop next to that for some shisa and smoothies :)...There is an internet cafe and a small corner shop as well.

When we returned after the tour we were given a refurbished room. It was well decorated but a bit smaller than the older room we were given when we first arrived. We found it to be just as clean as the older room as well. They also had more channels on their TV's with a cable box if that matters to you.

Anyway, long story short, I wouldn't have a problem staying here again if we were to return to Cairo. Just know that its not a 5 star when you book it so you don't have your hopes up for a more luxurious experience.

Have fun in Cairo!

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank SarahBella
Germany
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My Tour operator sold me Santana hotel as a 4 Star hotel, but I was suspicious about that, so after I arrived to the hotel I asked them to show me any official proof that the hotel is a 4 star hotel, however I was shocked when the guy at the reception told me that Santana hotel is only a 2 Star hotel, he even showed me an official certificate from the Egyptian ministry of tourism that states that the hotel is only a 2 star hotel.
At that moment someone came I think he was the front office manager and he shouted at the other guy in Arabic, and it was clear that they were trying to hide this fact. Trying to make things better they gave me one of the "remodeled" rooms and I was shocked again to find the room to be very dirty and smelly.
The next day I called my tour operator and told him about that and they did not say anything, all what they did after I insisted on leaving this hotel is that they transferred me to a real 4 star hotel. So, be aware when traveling to Egypt you must ask about a proof of the real ranking of the hotels.
In General Santana hotel was very dirty 2 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
28 Thank Marko32
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairo
Pharaohs Hotel & Casino
#96 of 137 in Cairo
Safir Hotel Cairo
Safir Hotel Cairo
#6 of 41 in Giza

Been to Santana Hotel? Share your experiences!