“Not as bad as the reviews make it sound!”
Review of Santana Hotel

Santana Hotel
Ranked #98 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed October 31, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a total of 4 nights for a guided tour around Egypt ( 3 nights before in an older room and 1 night after the tour in the refurbished room)

We were pretty worried about the state of the hotel after reading these reviews but we ended up being pleasantly surprised when we arrived.

Sure, the rooms are older if you don't get a refurbished one, but it was clean and the beds were the comfiest that we had in the other two hotels we stayed at in Luxor and Aswan. The first room was very big with two beds and a small balcony, the bathroom was pretty large as well but the ceiling was a bit beat up and everything worked just fine.

In Egypt workers depend on tips, so be prepared with a few Egyptian pounds for when they take your bags up to your room and let you in, etc...things like that. It doesn't just happen at the Santana but every other hotel we stayed at as well.

The breakfasts weren't anything to write home about but they did the trick, we usually just ended up grabbing some toast and jam and juice. We didn't try the diner for lunch or dinner.... we usually went next door where there was a great little resturant. You can get rice, pasta and pizza there at a great price. And there is a coffee shop next to that for some shisa and smoothies :)...There is an internet cafe and a small corner shop as well.

When we returned after the tour we were given a refurbished room. It was well decorated but a bit smaller than the older room we were given when we first arrived. We found it to be just as clean as the older room as well. They also had more channels on their TV's with a cable box if that matters to you.

Anyway, long story short, I wouldn't have a problem staying here again if we were to return to Cairo. Just know that its not a 5 star when you book it so you don't have your hopes up for a more luxurious experience.

Have fun in Cairo!

• Stayed: October 2009
2  Thank SarahBella

Reviewed October 20, 2009

My Tour operator sold me Santana hotel as a 4 Star hotel, but I was suspicious about that, so after I arrived to the hotel I asked them to show me any official proof that the hotel is a 4 star hotel, however I was shocked when the guy at the reception told me that Santana hotel is only a 2 Star hotel, he even showed me an official certificate from the Egyptian ministry of tourism that states that the hotel is only a 2 star hotel.
At that moment someone came I think he was the front office manager and he shouted at the other guy in Arabic, and it was clear that they were trying to hide this fact. Trying to make things better they gave me one of the "remodeled" rooms and I was shocked again to find the room to be very dirty and smelly.
The next day I called my tour operator and told him about that and they did not say anything, all what they did after I insisted on leaving this hotel is that they transferred me to a real 4 star hotel. So, be aware when traveling to Egypt you must ask about a proof of the real ranking of the hotels.
In General Santana hotel was very dirty 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
28  Thank Marko32
Reviewed September 12, 2009

First off let me state Cairo is not a nice city. And although people say Dokki is a nice area, it's only nice by Cairo standards. So set your standards low, people. Egypt in general is not set up well for tourists doing their own thing. It's confusing and foreign and I HIGHLY recommend doing a full tour by a reputable company. We did and this was the tour's recommended hotel. The hotel is smoky (cigarette), get used to that. The breakfast is not the best. The renovated rooms at the top of the hotel are fabulous. The A/C was pumping and we had no complaints about the room. If you are on a tour and not doing stuff on your own, this hotel is perfectly fine. If you are using this hotel as a base for your own personal adventure, I'd suggest paying extra for a better one.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tickleberry
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights at the beginning and end of a GAP tour. We felt lucky to get a remodeled room which was clean, well air conditioned, had a satellite television, and working refrigerator. In comparison, other rooms were dingy, smokey, and generally run down. While we were with our tour we received prompt attention from the service staff, but when our tour ended there was a marked difference in the treatment that we received from the staff. Most notably, the front desk manager tried to over charge my wife when we checked out.

The breakfasts are typical hotel buffet fare with an omelet bar, numerous white breads and croissants, cheeses, and cereal. We enjoyed the Koshary and pizza served up at a restaurant next door. An ATM, and convenience store are both right out the door and around the corner of the hotel.

Generally speaking, for its location and basic amenities, the Santana is an adequate choice of accommodations if all one wants to do is sleep, get some breakfast, and set up a base for exploring Cairo. But do push for a remodeled room at the time of booking or you will be pleading for one at check in.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pgcarlson22
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I stayed here as the beginning of a group tour and to be honest, I liked it. I was fortunate to receive a remodelled room with new furniture, satellite TV, and a clean and comfortable washroom. Just ask for a room on the fourth or fifth floor and you should be ok.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank sheibans
Reviewed April 17, 2009

The hotel is in a fairly quiet street in Dokki. There was a large open foyer containing a couple of small souvenir shops. The reception staff were helpful and friendly. There was a restaurant on the ground floor and a cafe on the first floor. The room was drab but comfortable. A colour TV, a fridge and some sturdy furniture. Plenty of towel but a bit light on for pillows and bedding.
Breakfast was very good. The highlight was the omelettes made on the spot. There was plenty to eat with tomato, cucumber, eggs, yoghurt, toast, croissants, local pastries and cakes. Unlimited tea and coffee.

• Stayed: March 2009
3  Thank gurubob
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a tour group.
The first night, I got a crappy older room. It was dark and furniture was old. The bed was clean and there was warm water in the shower - which is all I really need for 1 night anyways. No cockroaches or any other bugs, thank God.

The 2nd night, we received a remodeled room and it was gorgeous! Beautiful, brand new furniture. Spacious. Nice but small balcony. Beautiful bathroom.
If you are staying for an extended stay, do request the remodeled room: all of the 5th floor is new and the lower teens on the 4th floor is also new (ie. from around #410 and below, I think). How could one go about securing a newly remodeled room at the time of booking? I don't know. You could try tipping the front desk people & request for a new room but if it's all occupied, there isn't much that could be done once you are there. I guess you have to take your chances with this hotel.

Also the breakfast (included) was good. I didn't try the restaurant but heard very good reviews from people who ate there. Next door to the hotel is a convenience and also a small restaurant with reasonable food & prices.

*** I had a hard time finding this hotel. It's in the middle of a residential area. Extremely difficult to find as even the taxi drivers didn't know where the street was. If you book this hotel, I highly recommend booking the airport transfer and save yourself the headache of trying to find it or bring a long a very clear map and show the taxi driver the exact street name.

• Stayed: March 2009