“Good enough for somewhere to put your head down”

Cairo Khan Suites Hotel
Ranked #95 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This hotel was in quite an all right location - walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. Staff are generally friendly, food served at breakfast on the top floor was average. The cafe on the first floor offers drinks and shisha - the turkish coffee was quite good and they whip up a guava milkshake which is really tasty - no one speaks much English, so if you're ordering one, it's "guava belaben" in Arabic.
We were not impressed with the "help" we received from front end staff. After saying we wanted to go to the pyramids, we were told they would organise a car for us as the taxis are "unsafe". (Later, we took taxis and didn't feel unsafe). The driver took us to a dodgy operation at the pyramids - he refused to take us to the entrance and we were forced to go through a "tour agency" which charged us an arm and a leg for a "guide" and camels and horses. This fee didn't include entrance to any of the pyramids or anything, merely a wander around and a look at them from the distance. We were completely stitched up.
The hotel also organised a cruise on a boat on the Nile complete with dinner which also was a total rip off.
When they said they had more things planned for us the following day we declined. We also declined having the driver take us to the airport and paid less than a quarter of their quoted price by taking a taxi off the street.
Bedrooms were old fashioned and a bit crummy but very spacious. Fine for somewhere to put your head down for the night, but only if you're really tired as it's pretty noisy!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank aababa

Reviewed December 29, 2011

This is my first trip to Cairo with a group tour and my first stay in Cairo Khan Hotel. I will stick to this hotel should I made another trip to Cairo. This hotel is rather old, with old style furnitures in its room, its lift is old fashioned and a little slow. But in terms of size, its rooms are rather spacious, especially we had a 2 room suite. I have no complains there. But I must say its breakfast is 1 of the worst I've had. It has no toasters to toast bread, its bread is cold, stale and breakfast is cold. Still I am not complaining because the attraction of this hotel is that it is right smack in the middle of hundreds of shops - shoes shops, clothes, children's clothing, men's clothing, ladies clothing, muslimah clothing, sundry shops, pharmacies, street hawkers selling lots of variety of products llke sunglasses, socks, jackets, table cloths, towels , you name it they have it. Being an avid shopper myself, I am very very please with the hotel's location because I can shop and shop til I drop! So please ladies, if you like shopping when you are overseas, just ignore the hotel's shortcoming and its busy traffic and concentrate on your shopping because the products sold there are cheap, yes cheap and affordable. For example, I bought an overcoat for 240 egyptian pounds, when convert to my currency, it cost only about SGD42, isn't it great? And I bought a whole set of table cloths with 2 set of cushions for only 250 pounds from a street hawker! isn't that wonderful ladies? So , this hotel is excellent for serious shoppers, if you don't mind staying in a 3 or 2 star hotel. Its great location is the attraction for me to come back to Cairo, what else but to do my shopping. It is also quite near the crystal factory to buy affordable and beautiful crystal accessories and of course it is not far from Eygpt's heritage of the pyramids of giza. So this hotel is great for everything, just don't mind the cold breakfast!

Room Tip: Choose higher floors so you won't get bothered by the noise of heavy traffic downstairs on the r...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank muslimahSingapore
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Ok so this is a 3 star hotel I was told but seriously, I have been to better 3 star hotels.I would rate this more like 1.5-2 stars.

If you want peace and quiet, this is not it! We were in room 301, a 2- bedroom apartment but we were facing the main road and this was downtown Cairo. The incessant honking of the cars were enough to drive one crazy and in the end , just to get some sleep, I had to put on ear -plugs!

The rooms were dark and reeked of cigarette smoke mixed with a musty smell.The tables and the windows were very dusty. It was December, so it was a bit chilly at night but the heater was not working.The bathroom was easily flooded after turning on the showers for 2 minutes, which spilled over to the rest of the bathroom making it rather unpleasant to visit the toilet. When we complained, nobody came to the room- we were just ignored.

The elevators were old and rickety and took ages to come up or down and we found it quicker taking the stairs.Breakfast was also terrible with horrendous service and stale cold food and absolutely poor choice.

The tour agent put it succinctly when I complained to her about the poor standards of the hotel- This is Egypt and a 4 star hotel is probably more accurately described
as 3 stars whereas expect 2 stars if it is accredited 3 stars!

Room Tip: If you have a car at your disposal, there is really no need to stay in downtown Cairo where everythi...
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank oal151
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I have been back and fourth to cairo for a few years now and the ONLY place I wil stay is Cairo Khan! Ok so not all the staff speak english but they understand enough english that everything is fine. The staff are nice and protective and make sure that you are happy and comfortable. The building is old so not everything is prestine but come on its CAIRO EGYPT the most historical site in history! Do we seriously need a hair dryer when your just mear miles from GIZA! Yes the rooms are a bit smoky but they dont have a smoking policy... im telling you its a "lil" home away from home... The staff are now my friends! Its WORTH IT !

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank shan G
Reviewed December 26, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel a few times over the years. While its nothing special, it is clean and comfortable. The rooms are large and have private bathrooms.

The Pros:
Good food
Good location to see the sites in Cairo
Friendly service
Clean and large rooms with AC that works
Walking distance to stores, restaurants, and coffee shops

Cons:
Cairo traffic can make it hard for some to sleep (same at all 3 star hotels)
Dated furniture, but its still serviceable and the beds are comfortable
No hairdryers

Cairo is not known for having a wide selection of good quality 3 star hotels. Most are horrible. The Cairo Khan is one of my favorite if you are traveling on a budget and still want a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Good for a couple of days stay not more. Make sure to learn some egyptian words cos you won't understand what some of the staff will say in English.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2010

The Cairo Khan is in a great location in the city, which makes it a good value for the price. The rooms are nothing special--spacious but that's about it. Since you are in the heart of the city, honking car horns will keep you up at night, but that's part of the Cairo 'charm.' Other than the car horns, there's no reason why you can't have a clean, comfortable stay at the Cairo Khan. If you are a traveler who can get by without frills, then I recommend this as an acceptable place to stay. The breakfast was a nice plus--again, nothing fancy, but good nevertheless. This felt like a very safe, walkable part of the city, even at night.

• Stayed: January 2010