“Great experience - but everyone wants money from you ....”
Review of Gizeh Plateau

Ranked #4 of 320 things to do in Cairo
Sydney
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great experience - but everyone wants money from you ....”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Great experience that everyone should have, but detracted somewhat by the constant challenge the locals have for trying to get money from you for virtually nothing. One moved off a step so we could walk past and asked for money ! Increase the price and increase security so people don't feel like they are being continually robbed.

• Arabic first
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“IMPORTANT TIPS!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

1. If you decide to pay the 100 LE (~US$16) to climb inside the pyramid, you ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BRING YOUR CAMERA in with you. There's a guy at the entrance who told me to either leave the camera in my vehicle or leave it w/ him. Although suspicious, I left it w/ him and got it back when I returned; I tipped him ~$2.

2. Climbing inside the pyramid is NOT something for small kids or parents w/ infants; it's too challenging to do so.

3. My admission ticket to the pyramids also got me into the Sphynx. BEWARE there are guys all around the Sphynx asking you for a ticket. They're essentially shaking down any unknowing tourists. I just gave them an ugly stare and moved on...

4. There are no sanctioned guides at the pyramix/Sphynx, but there are MANY people who offer themselves as guides for a fee...very annoying as you have no idea what any of these people know. There are also dozens and dozens of people and kids shilling stuff who are VERY intrusive/aggressive. It's best to not make eye contact, not say anything and just keep moving...or you will get SWARMED.

All that said, for this being one of the 7 great wonders of the world, all I can really say is "M'eh." There were no offered tours, no audio tours, and you were really left to fend for yourself among all the vendors and guides. I'm glad I did it, but I wish there were more to it.

4 Thank Tom B
Thika
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing but too many people”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Amazing but way too many people in chaos. People climbing over the pyramids, men whipping horses for the carriage rides, detracted a bit from our experience.

London, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Go now. On horseback. It's empty!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I went with my girlfriend in October 2012. We got a guide and rode on horseback. We had views of the pyramids with no other tourists in sight! Probably hasn't happened since Napoleon arrived 200 years ago. Go now if you can!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Giza”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

It was an impressive structure and I enjoyed going inside. In my opinion it was not claustraphobic and the guide books make it sound much more uncomfortable then it was.
I was disappointed that the pyramids were surrounded by city

1 Thank gunggung38