Memphis and Sakkara
Ranked #12 of 323 things to do in Cairo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I personally loved it as I do so enjoy looking at the ancient places and statues and items of the world.

Although I am always a little disappointed with how the Egyptian people and also visitors dont respect these ancient places and leave rubbish lying around - however this area was not too bad. The people who look after the various special places in Egypt should make more of an effort to keep places like this clean and have more respect. However it is worth going to and spending a full day if possible as there is quite a bit to see. A return trip would be good too if you had time. Depends on your timetable. I find that guides tend to want to rush you through things (I hate that)!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

It's kind of off the beaten path but it's said that noone really knows where Memphis truly existed. This museum is an open air type. There are a couple of interesting exhibits but the real gem is the massive statue of Ramses and the 2nd largest sphinx!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I love the history of ancient civilisations and travelling through Memphis and Sakkara made me really thing about human life and afterlife. Visiting these places which are ancient ruins of the Egyptian Civilisation made me see how grand their temples and funerary places are. Today we have simple graveyards in cemeteries all lined up in a row and compared to seeing these huge monuments in the middle of the desert is just mind boggling overall for me to understanding the human belief in afterlife and the power of being a Pharaoh in those ancient times.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I visited Cairo and the Egyptian Pyramids 2/3 years back and it was the beginning to my quest of seeing different places, people and their culture. Sakkara pyramid is known to be the oldest pyramid very older than the great pyramid of Giza. It was not well maintained like the great pyramid but there were maintenance work on going to preserve it from getting destroyed. I was very eager to visit the Memphis, the capital of old Egypt that I have studied when I was a primary student. But I was disappointed as nothing is preserved there other than a museum in front of which there are local street vendors selling souvenirs.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had a tour company take us through the city and sites of Memphis and Sakkara. It is essential to have an experienced guide.