“Good hotel in very good loaction”

Ranked #4 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Intercontinental Citystars for a short business visit to Cairo. The facilities are impressive and conveniently connected to the Citystars shopping mall. The complex is in the thriving Heliopolis area and close to the airport which is an advantage for those willing to avoid chaotic Cairo downtown and traffic. The room look a little dated but overall the service was friendly and attentive, though not in the exactly same level of other Intercontinental locations.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Khaled S, Director of Sales at InterContinental Cairo Citystars, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Mr. Lucián,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Cairo Citystars, I appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback to let us know about your recent experience.

I am delighted to learn that our location and facilities were up to your expectations. We always strive to provide comfortable accommodation and the best level of service.

Thank you again, and look forward welcoming you back very soon.

Director of Sales & marketing

Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

the hotel service was great i made my wedding thier and stayed for 2 nights in a sweet really the room was very good ot was well cleaned and the food was perfect thier is the ground floor a bar on the pool it is recommended

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mrs. Salma,

I would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor. It is always very rewarding when we receive positive comments as such from our honored guests.

I am truly delighted to know that you have enjoyed our facilities and level of service.

Looking forward to welcome you back very soon in the near future at InterContinental Cairo Citystars.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Excellent service/ friendly staff
Conveniently located next to shopping mall
Good gym
Spa not so great - staff not well trained
Good choice of restaurants
Easy check in (from the airport) and convenient protocol service

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Khaled S, Director of Sales at InterContinental Cairo Citystars, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Ms. Jennifer,

I would like to thank you for sharing your nice experience on TripAdvisor. It is always very rewarding when we receive positive comments as such from our honored guests.

I am truly delighted to know that you have enjoyed our location and facilities at InterContinental Cairo Citystars.

Looking forward to welcome you back very soon in the near future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I just had a couple of nights stay in the InterContinental Citystars for a business event. The reception team and the events team were very attentive and have gone the extra mile to service me and my business guests. The main restaurant has also extended the buffet for us past their business hours to accommodate my guests who were delayed in the meeting and arrived to lunch by 4 PM.
My only comment is related to house keeping - I left the room from 8:00am till 5:30pm and it was not cleaned till then! I guess start late as the front desk manager explained.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Khaled S, Director of Sales at InterContinental Cairo Citystars, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Mr. Iskander,

I am delighted to learn that our team was up to your expectations. We always strive to provide comfortable accommodation and guest satisfaction.

I hope your valuable note about the House-keeping did not cause any inconvenience, it is our goal to consistently provide superior services at our hotel

Thank you again, and look forward welcoming you back very soon.

Director of Sales & marketing

Reviewed February 28, 2014

My mother, daughter and I stayed here yet again( checked in on the 9/2/14) at the F1 residence all my previous comments in regards to the lack of maintenance apply I still believe this side of the hotel is neglected and to a five standard standard. Curtains had stains on them when we entered and I asked for them to be cleaned they weren't I got tired if asking so I gave up. Next point; I held my daughters birthday party here in my room on the 14/2/14 I ordered a cake from the bakery at the hotel and I was assured the cake would be two tired of Hearts with flowers and edible glitter unfortunately along with a fresh cream filling and fresh strawberries. I had also ordered 3 gifts from the local Toys r us in the mall adjacent to the hotel they had wrapped and prepared the gifts to deliver at 2:30pm ( this was done as they had promised). The cake came it was completely different from what we had discussed no flowers the colours were wrong no fresh strawberries the cake was bland tasteless. We the sent the cake back they then sent us another cake with the correct colour scheme but no strawberries just bland sponge and cream (not fresh). We returned the cake back to the chef of course it was already paid for in advance. The gifts that I had asked to be delivered were sat down in reception of the hotel from 2:30pm until 5:30pm, I did not know this until I had to leave my daughters party and go all the way back to Toys r us and complained we hadn't received the gifts Toys r us assured they were delivered at 2:30 pm but reception had refused to accept the gifts I came back from Toys r us and spoke to reception and they gave a generic apology and said the morning shift refused to receive my daughters gifts. Never did I receive an apology from reception or explanation as to why they kept my daughters presents at reception and we not notified. The party was partially ruined as I was running around most of the day and couldn't entertain my guests as I had to go back and fourth to the mall regarding the supposed missing presents.

Since I arrived I had been receiving guests to my suite and relatives with no problems this is why I always choose the residence suites as I quote "it's a home from home" essentially it's like a self contained flat with kitchenette, large living area and so fourth. On the evening of the 24/2/14 my uncle came to visit us and to fetch his niece, the security kept my uncle in the lobby and refused to send him up ( my relatives never had that problem in the past and this was the first time he had been refused entry and treated like a criminal. I therefore had to go down stairs and leave my room my mother and I, I demanded to speak to a manager the manager on that shift was a Mr Adel Shatral whom I spoke with the phone as he couldn't even do me the courtesy to come speak to me face to face. I asked Mr Shatral why my uncle couldn't come up he said this is the policy and I am not allowed visitors at all no matter the hour I questioned him as it when this policy came about he was rude and vulgar to me on the phone like the receptionist who called Mr Shatral for me, I ended the phone call ( during this time my uncle was kept like a hostage in the lobby and we were being spoken to like criminals in the lobby). My mother demanded to speak to Mr Shatral in person my mother waited 15 mins for him to appear he said to my mother how do I know this man is your uncle or your brother ( implying we are up to inappropriate dealings). The next day I spoke to a Mr Ibrahim Nashat the general manager and he apologised on Mr Shatral's behalf and explained what he said was false and I am to receive any guests I like at any time and admitted Mr Shatral was at fault. I asked for a letter of apology and Mr Shatral apologise in person for insinuating such filth. The humiliation and distress that night caused us can never she repaired and when I demanded for a personal apology from Mr Shatral they refused, I kept asking for a letter of apology from Mr Ibrahim but didn't receive one. I mean this is the very least they could do to rectify their detrimental error. I spoke to the regional manager Mr Simon Stamper who was very unsympathetic in his apology even though they admitted fault and understood what Mr Adel was insinuating, Mr Stamper was very blasé about the matter. I demanded from him again for the fifth time I would like a written apology and a personal apology from Mr Shatral. Later that evening Mr Ibrahim Nashat and Mr Adel Shatral came my suite with again yet another generic apology followed by one in writing.

Mr Stamper the regional manager knows very well if this were to happen in Europe and someone is accused of such an insulting crime ( prostitution or theft) for no reason they could be sued for this. Mr Shatral had the audacity to say to my elderly mother how do I know he is your brother when he had no right at all to question anything and then to say to my mother in not so many words that the Intercontinental has had some issues with prostituiton in the past. This really doesn't show any professionalism especially from a supposed manager like Mr Shatral.

I can't really believe till now this has happened. Considering the issues we had last year when we stayed and we were promised that they would redeem themselves then we are accused of such a slanderous scandalous crime. Flowers were sent along with generic apologies but the nothing can redeem such an awful experience it was like a nightmare. The hotel are aware we are regular guests at the hotel and we come once a year for long periods of time, I have to say there is no customer loyalty and they need to employ the appropriate staff to come on board this hotel to make some radical changes. It's such a shame it used to be a lovely place to stay.

Other comments

1. The curtains were and still are filthy since we arrived I mentioned it to housekeeping but to no avail.
2. The shiny floor tiles everywhere in hotel are extremely dangerous.
3. Steam room constantly not working adequately.
4. Refurbishment of the residence suites need updating as I have mentioned before.

Pros

1. The housekeeping staff are always friendly.
2. Abdul Latif in the breakfast area is always helpful and a delight to speak with.
3. Ahmed ( the gentleman who wears the spectacles) from in room dining and breakfast area are always helpful.
4. The staff in the business centre are very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mrs. Selma

Thank you for sharing all your comments and concerns about your stay at the InterContinental Cairo Citystars.

I would like to personally apologize for the unfortunate experience you had at our hotel on the 24th of February 2014. On behalf of the management of InterContinental Cairo Citystars, please accept my sincere apologies once again, I fully understand that nothing will make up for the inconvenience that you have encountered.

Please rest assured that we have full respect to you and your mother, the hotel did not underestimate the magnitude of the situation & I hope that was reflected in Ibrahim’s visit and Simon’s note and flowers.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for this experience, and should I be of any help during your next stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed for 5 days there, everything was wonderful, friendly staff, very comfortable and nice rooms, clean and variety of entertainment activities. My first stay was not that good but this stay was perfect and I would like to send special thanks to Mark and Nada from ambassador office for their cooperation and appreciation which make my stay much better than before.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Khaled S, Director of Sales at InterContinental Cairo Citystars, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Mr. Monir,

As you are a Platinum Ambassador member, I would like to thank you for your loyalty & also for sharing your InterContinental experience with us on Tripadvisor.

We are truly delighted to know that you have enjoyed our room & entertainment facilities and also the levels of service at our hotel. It was an absolute pleasure having you.

I will pass these very positive & encouraging comments to the staff mentioned & the hotel’s upper management.

Looking forward to welcome you back very soon at InterContinental Cairo Citystars.

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

After a long day of business meetings and all the traffic in Cairo this hotel is exactly what I needed.

Excellent service and attention to detail. Rooms are large and we'll appointed. You have lots of choice for meals and drinks.

Love the shopping Centre next door as well.

Just be careful of the charges and service fees on your meals be prepared.

Very good hotel. Would stay here again no hesitation.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Mr. Griffin,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Cairo Citystars for your past stay & for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are truly delighted to know that you have enjoyed our levels of service, rooms and the choices of Food & Beverage presented at the hotel. It was an absolute pleasure having you.