“Old and shabby - not recommended unless you have no choice” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Lotus Hotel
Ranked #64 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
London, United Kingdom
“Old and shabby - not recommended unless you have no choice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2006

Hi,

We saw the pictures of the hotel on their website and decided that it fits in well with our requirement and budget. We knew that this would be slightly run down and shabby but what we saw was worse than we expected. Am sure a lot of people will like this hotel especially if they are not too bothered with the facilities that rooms offer and the overall appearance of the hotel.

The Hotel is in an excellent location thought with the Egyptian Museum and several eating joints and markets within walking distance or a short taxi hop. The Corniche of the Nile is also close by.

The entrance to the hotel is through a building with several shops and offices and the lift is a terror - there is no door and the lift stops at just three floors. The decor inside the hotel is not bad just old. Its a clean hote (if lack of dirt is clean).

We stayed in two different rooms over 3 nights and 3.5 days. The rooms are cramped and have a wallpaper that is disturbing at first (but you get used to it). The A/C is a really old model and has no temperature control. The phone in the room is from the 1950's or even earlier. You cant dial numbers from here. Just need to pick up the phone and press the disengage buttons a couple of time and the guy at the reception picks up the phone.
The bathrooms were large and clean though the fittings looked like they could all use a change. Hot water is available fdor about 4 hrs in the morning and 4 in the evening.

However the good part is that its a very very quiet hotel despite being on the important Talat Harb. Also the people seemed to be nice and soft spoken (actually they never spoke to us till we did)
They give a decent enouhg breakfast - bread, egg, jam, coffee and cheese (anything else is billable)

Recommended if you are planning to stay in Cairo for a long time or if you dont really care where your stayed as long as the bed was comfortable and the room cool. Would not recommend this for families or honeymooners and even tourists who prefer a hotel that looks like a hotel.

The worst experience - We reached the hotel very early in the morning on our return visit to Cairo and the elevator was stinking of a hot and gaseous smell. We learnt that this was due to the leakage of heat and smell from the boiler which heats the water.

The best experience - We decided to extend our check out time one day and the hotel gave us a 15LE discount.

Stayed July 2006
13 Thank Krantic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Arabic first
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2006

I booked after reading reviews on here, I have stayed in cairo a lot. The accomodation is basic but clean and would maybe have been ok (apart from the very dodgy unsafe looking and sounding elevator- rust with broken door and making a weird clanking sound)I booked seperate rooms for myself and my egyptian friend ( most hotels in egypt won't allow egyptians to stay with members of opposite sex fair enough their country their rules.)
However I have to say that I felt extremely vulnerable here. They put us in rooms on either side of the reception and did not allow us to knock on each others doors to call for each other before we went out. The reception guys refused to allow us to drink tea together except sitting opposite them in tthe lobby! Everytime I was alone I felt really creeped out by the reception guys leering/ questions. These guys regualarly hammered on my door, ostensibly to check my friend was not in there Although to get to my room he would have to pass the heavily staffed reception!
Despite there being several guys on reception we always waited an age for attention and it was fairly begrudgingly given

Something else that made me uncomfortable was at night there was a guy sleeping on the couch in reception!!

Also I booked via an internet hotel company and when I got they they gave me different rooms than I paid for, singles not doubles and tried to get more money although I had documentation to say what I paid and reserved
We eventually checked out and they did not refund all our money for the unpaid nights again arguing that we had paid less than we actually had. I would not reccomend this hotel for anyone but particularly not single women
Try pharoahs dokki or pharoah egypt

• Stayed February 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank esme_posslethwaite

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2006

We really had a wonderful stay at the Lotus. Excellent location. Just beside the Egyptian Museum and the river Nile. In the city centre. Heart of the shopping area, the restaurants and theatres. Just beside the underground station (Metro). Has a great family atmosphere. The staff were always very kind and helpful.
The hotel is very clean and well taken of.
If I am ever back in Cairo I will always only stay at the Lotus Hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank appleNYC31
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2006

I went to the Lotus at the end of March after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. The reviews were spot on. Yes it is basic but it is excellent value for money (£10 per night) for the convienent location and the friendliness of the staff. Plan your own travel don't necessarily rely on the reception staff, having said that they are quite helpful.

• Stayed March 2006