“Please do not Go to Europa Hotel Cairo”
Review of Europa Hotel

Europa Hotel
Ranked #116 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
United Kingdom
“Please do not Go to Europa Hotel Cairo”
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I appeal to you not to go there, this not a 3 or 4 star hotel. The decor is falling apart holes in the wall, some wires sticking out, probably 1/2 star, bathrooms are shabby, no air conditioning so it was 28 degrees in our room, the pool must have been disused for over a year. The room service terrible, furniture old (dusty/musty smell), perhaps it was 4 star hotel in the 1970s. the lifts falling apart, breakfast room had dirty table coverings, floors shabby and general decor.

I had booked a week there and was mortified at the hotel when I arrived. I called the UK to change the hotel and did not get a refund for the hotel (1 night stay) from the Europa Hotel or Bargainholiday.com

At Bargain [-----------------]the Customer Service person someone called Raj said he contacted the owner and that they disagreed with my complaints and to this day I know Europa Hotal is on their prefered list of hotels. I had to speak to [------------------]to change the hotel my £70.00 phone bill was not refunded to me by [----------------].
PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GO THERE!!!! The rest of the week we stayed at the Zoser Partner Hotel up the road, they were an excellent 4 Star Hotel!!!!! go there!!!

Stayed March 2005
11 Thank 1Katyperry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Spalding England
Reviewed May 15, 2006

Like many other reviews I had no proper sheets to fit the bed , very few of the lights worked, the carpet was filthy ,the curtains partly hung off and the net curtain was filthy . The bathroom was a Health and Safety Execs nightmare with broken fitments . Toliet constantly ran.
The breakfast room was a joke and I dare you to eat anything here without worrying about the consequences . Obviously I didn't worry enough because after a weeks antibiotics back home I am now full recovered.
Those dogs mentioned before still there!
You can't move in this hotel without somebody wanting a backhander , even to say hello to you .
Lifts seem almost suicidal and fitments at floor levels either missing or hanging off wall.
Why did I stay here ? Unfortunately I was booked as a supplier's guest and so the words "grin and bear it" come to mind .
You would never chose to stay here on your own account !
Finally take cash to pay and ear plugs - don't like Credit Cards - love Dollars or Euros- and the 17 nearby mosques do cause a little bit of increased background volume at times over and above the 24 hour traffic going about their extremely noisy way through Pyramid Street.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank redcol

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Reviewed February 22, 2006

Overall impression: neglected. I had a room on the 8th floor in the front of the hotel - constant very loud street noise even with window "shut". Roaches in room, especially in bathroom. Always had warm water, but not always hot. Water had funky odor. Door to room did not shut properly - had to be pulled / slammed very hard, which probably woke up everyone else on 8th floor and the one below. Carpet not vaccuumed. King mattress sagged deeply in middle. TV was OK but only one channel with English. Fridge not plugged in on arrival, but worked well once I plugged in and re-set control. Linens were somewhat threadbare. Staff not generous with towels or sheets. Not all lamps had bulbs. Had "continental" breakfast one morning. Afraid to eat anything except bread and yogurt, which was not even chilled. Not a good place to bring children. Will not return.

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 15, 2006

The room were large, once quite nice many years ago...the water was not working, the plumbing stank, sheets did not fit the beds, heaters did not work, and bribes had to be paid for room cleaning that did not include vacumming, or dusting.
The pool area was discusting, the lifts were mostly out of action though they managed to keep one going at all times...How I do not know, we changed rooms after the first night hoping for something beter...the noise from the street and mosques...one across the street was deafning. room 721 is not worth staying in at all, room 807 was barable(just) there were dogs in room 810, not sure if they liked it either.
If you are prepared to bribe every one then you could posibly have your room cleaned properly. watch out for the kitchen staff, they like to provide special service (for a fee of course)
The guys in a shop next door(left from the main entrance) were brilliant, they provided us with all the information we needed and cheap memorbilia.
Dont stay in this hotel, try the Zoser or similar, unfortunately I booked this hotel and paid in advance for the entire stay...we did not let it spoil our trip though.

• Stayed January 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2006

Well we spent 2 weeks at the europa hotel. When we booked the hotel it was listed as 4 star. this was way out 3 star at a push. The shower water pressure was so bad we gave up trying to shower and ran baths which took a good hour to run. We kept having to remind them to change our towels and as for toilet paper well we went and bought our own.They didnt have sheets to fit a double bed so they single sheets sideways on the bottom so sometimes you got 2 to cover the whole matress other times you got 1 and it covered the top part. when you pulled up the blankets and sheet over you it didnt reach the end of the bed. They have no idea on what cleaning a room is about it wasnt vacuumed once while we where there. Luckily we had a sense of humour and didnt let it ruin our holiday.

7 Thank smidgie
Reviewed January 2, 2006

The hotel is dingy and dirty. It looks as if it was once elegant, but is now extremely rundown. When we returned to Cairo at the end of our trip, we were put in a terrible room. I didn’t realize so many things could be wrong with one room, but in this one:

No hot water
Broken heater – so no heat
Window didn’t close properly, so much street noise
Toilet didn’t work, and when they “fixed” it, the water ran all night and the floor ended up wet
The carpet badly needed vacuuming
The bathroom was dirty
Bed was not properly made with 2 sheets

As a result of this, we had people in our room for an hour trying to fix everything. At some point I got quite frustrated and actually asked them to leave the room but found it was hard to get them out. (The next morning, I again repeated ask the bellman to leave the room.) During this time, my wallet, which was on the dresser, was stolen by one of the staff in our room. We are sure of this because we confirmed from Visa that the card in the wallet was used multiple times that evening in Cairo in attempts to withdraw funds, but was fortunately denied because they didn’t have the correct PIN number.

We are totally shocked that hotel staff would steal this wallet when we were even in the room at the time! Of course they have access with a key at any time, and one can only imagine what else they must do with other people’s possessions. We have repeatedly tried to contact the hotel, but have been unable to get through.
There is no published email.

• Stayed December 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairo
Golden Tulip Narmer Pyramids
Aracan Pyramids Hotel
Grand Pyramids Hotel
Grand Pyramids Hotel
#25 of 41 in Giza

Been to Europa Hotel? Share your experiences!