“Oasis of luxury in a chaotic city.”
Review of Hotel Longchamps

Hotel Longchamps
Ranked #21 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Sydney, Australia
“Oasis of luxury in a chaotic city.”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel on 2 occasions during stays in Cairo in December 2012 and January 2013. We stayed at another hotel on our last 2 days in Cairo and really wished in retrospect we would have stayed here.

This hotel is located in a very exclusive and quiet part of Cairo- very necessary in this chaotic city. A plethora of restaurants awaited us- budget, medium priced and very classy and interesting shops.

The staff were wonderful. I always got quick emails back when corresponding from Australia and staff were very very helpful and attentive during our stay.
The room was amazing with a hugh comfortable bed, beautiful period furniture and a nice balcony and also fantstic bathroom. Everthing was immaculate and actually worked unlike some places in Egypt.
The breakfast was fabulous and staff.

The only down side to this hotel is that when you actually come into the front door you may think you are in the wrong place as it is located on the 5th floor and you have to reach it via a miniscule lift that will only take 2 people at a time and their 2 bags.
The other down side- again -( not really their fault) is that on both times that we organsized the airport transport from the hotel the driver was late. We were about 30 minutes late after getting out visa and our bags the fist time we got the pick up and still had to wait over 20 minutes for the driver. I was just about to get a taxi when he arrived. The second time the same guy was 15 minutes late. He sad he was sorry- again- and mumbled something about our plane being late- it was actually a bit early!!!
As I mentioned it was nothing to do with the standard and comfort of the hotel but they need to perhaps talk to the driver about this or chose someone more reliable.
The owner and staff need to be congratulated on a very high standard.it was more like a 5 star hotal than a 3 star.

Room Tip: A gem in a very crowded city.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl255060

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Longchamps was recommended by the folks here at Tripadvisor and I agree. The area is much quieter than the rest of Crazy Cairo. My daughter and I were able to walk around safely. The Hotel has a German flavor and it stuffed with interesting books, art, and furniture. The staff are top notch and very helpful. The restaurant has a set menu every night and it was quite good and reasonably priced. I love all the terraces, we had a shared on off our room. The place is not perfect but is well maintained, with a few cracks in the tiles and a few tatters in the fabrics but homey and comfortable. If I ever go back to Cairo (the pollution was horrendous) I will stay here.

Room Tip: ask for one with a private terrace
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Cheri A
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the LongChamps hotel. It is in a quiet (for Cairo) location and close to restaurants and to the Egyptian Museum. The rooms and bathrooms had been recently renovated. The reakfast was excellent - both Egptian and European food.
The staff were most helpful. They organised a day trip to Giza and the pyramids. We were very impressed by our guide, Phoebe.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BarbaraJH H
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for the night before and the one after a two weeks tour in the Egyptian desert. It is on the 5th floor of a building in the trendy district of Zamalek. As we stepped into the reception area we felt like going back into colonial time. Staff is efficient and professional, our room was spacious with a large bathroom. The whole hotel is spotless clean, WiFi is free and worked perfectly. We had a good night rest before and after our tour, unfortunately we couldn't fully appreciate the breakfast in the morning due to early departure but it seemed to be of a good selection and quality.
We now know where to stay for our next stay in Cairo!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DoubleEnSuite
Calgary
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Longchamps in early January. The location is great; one of the few "quiet" areas in Cairo, but the hotel could do with an update. It clearly could be a gorgeous boutique hotel but needs some major refurbishment. Free wifi is great, and there's a nice public balcony area, but no hot water on our first evening was a big disappointment given how dirty we all were! Our room ('executive') was spacious but rather dark; our kids' room was tiny yet cost only a few dollars less. We wouldn't stay there again; can do better for the money.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I spent three nights at the Novotel el Borg and was not impressed (expensive, dirty, and the internet rates were sky-high), so tried The Longchamps- it worked perfectly for me. I spent just over a week there in total- the front desk staff (Letizia in particular) were very helpful. They were already fully booked for one of the nights I needed, but went ahead and arranged for me to stay that night at the Horus Hotel, one floor down (it was fine for one night, but Longchamps is a better choice). Because my reservation was last minute, I changed rooms twice while I was at The Longchamps- it was no trouble, as they took care of moving my suitcase and everything in my room. This meant that I had the opportunity to stay in three different rooms. The executive room was fantastic- completely updated, with a spa like bathroom. The other two standard rooms were spacious and well appointed. The bathrooms had not been updated (but were absolutely fine), and EVERY room was absolutely spotless. Zamalek is fairly quiet, but not far by foot or taxi to anywhere else you would like to go in Cairo. Definitely make sure to pick up one of the cards at the front desk that shows the hotel name and address in Arabic. You will need it for the taxis.

Room Tip: All the rooms were great, but splurge for the executive room- I think it was #15.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank HeyPange
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel Lonchamps for 3 nights and loved our time there. We actually thought that it was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at. The staff were amazing,always trying to help.
We liked all the little touches, like the old telephone exchange and other old furniture.
The buffet breakfast was good and better than other places we stayed in Egypt.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to other families wishing to visit Cairo.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family